Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADVICE needed regarding assessments! Thanks!

Options
  • 17-04-2016 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am a parent who needs to get my child assessed as we are concerned about ASD.
    i am just confused as to whether to go public or private. I nknow that private is a million times faster - but i have heard that some assessments are not accepted by some schools.
    can someone advise me on this?
    and , usually, to make an ASD diagnosis, what reports are necessary? is a general one (comprehensive) or is there a rule that it should be speech and language + psycholgist?
    again, i need clarification for this.
    im not worried about the expense - i just want to check im doing the right things arround assessment of my daughther.
    THANKS SO MUCH!
    P

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Hi pinkles, there are plenty of experienced parents on here who will help you so try not to stress (too much ;)).

You are right that some counties don't accept private diagnosis'. I think the best bet would be to contact your local seno to ensure they do. You will find their contact details in here

http://ncse.ie/seno-contact-list

They can then tell you if they will sign off home tuition etc based on a private diagnosis. Maybe do get first and then come back to us and we can help from there?

Tbh I would get it done anyway as it would certainly allow you access to the incaoacitated child tax credit and DCA. Try to get it done as possible as there is the annual grant of €1700 payable in June once you are approved for certain tax reliefs. €1700 will go a long way towards private speech / occupational therapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pinkles

thanks for the info. brilliant. what would would most assessments for ASD entail? how many visits and to who .ie SLT therapist , psychologist?
    Thanks again.

Advertisement