Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some concerns about my first build

Options
  • 17-04-2016 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hey guys, so I began building my first PC yesterday. I was missing the PSU and GPU but got everything else installed and into the case. Happy enough with that. I made some small errors which I am concerned about though.

1. When installing the CPU, my hand slipped about and it didn't fall into place perfectly, it kind of fell slightly on the edge of the socket and I picked it up carefully and got it perfect second try. Now I checked the socket from a lot of angles and nothing seemed bent or broken. How likely is it I could have damaged a pin somewhere and what would the symptoms be?

2. When I was mounting my cooler bracket, and also checking the CPU socket at angles, I had the mobo on my knee because it was the safest grip I could get on as I was afraid it could slip off the table. Now I was grounding myself every 5 minutes or so and can't recall the last time ive been shocked by static off something. How likely could it be that I fried my motherboard?

3. When mounting the X bracket onto the cooler, I kept messing up the orientation of it and couldn't get it to screw evenly into the standoffs. I eventually realised the issue, but I had to take off the cooler first to realise what i was doing wrong. It took a bit of force to get off but came off without lifting the cpu out. A. How likely is it that taking the cooler off could have somehow damaged the CPU? and B. I did not reapply thermal paste, as there was a decent square of it on the CPU from the previous attempt, should I be okay with that amount?

Thanks guys, I'm a bit worried I messed it up and put serious money down the drain :( Such noob mistakes too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If all that is true and accurate, your PC is fine. If a CPU pin isn't loose or bent, its probably grand, if you were grounded, the board is probably fine, and once the CPU is installed you won't do any damage lifting a cooler off it

If it makes you feel any better about the cooler, on my 4th or 5th PC it took me a good hour to put the cooler on correctly :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Raekwondo

If all that is true and accurate, your PC is fine. If a CPU pin isn't loose or bent, its probably grand, if you were grounded, the board is probably fine, and once the CPU is installed you won't do any damage lifting a cooler off it

If it makes you feel any better about the cooler, on my 4th or 5th PC it took me a good hour to put the cooler on correctly :pac:

Okay that is reassuring thanks :D Yeah I knew by watching videos that the cooler would be an issue, Cooler master 212 evo. I'll find out Wednesday when my PSU arrives if it's all good or not. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

For next time, leave the pink antistatic bag under the board when its on your knees, you won't have as much worry then

For next time, leave the pink antistatic bag under the board when its on your knees, you won't have as much worry then

Yeah I won't even take it off the table next time. I literally only though about it when I had it all closed up and back onto the shelf and was relaxing then thought **** maybe I fried my board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

It took me over an hour to attach an I/O shield on my 1st build and about 30 mins to figure out where to connect the leads on the mobo from the pc case. It would be a lot worse if you just rushed it and were careless.

• Advertisement

pcuser wrote: »
    It took me over an hour to attach an I/O shield on my 1st build and about 30 mins to figure out where to connect the leads on the mobo from the pc case. It would be a lot worse if you just rushed it and were careless.

That thing was also a pain!! Took me about that too. Looks nice when it's in though, have an MSI one.

Advertisement