Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift for newborn nephew

Options
  • 17-04-2016 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

I have become an uncle and want to get a gift for my nephew. Not too sure what to do, should I just get a gift voucher from mothercare, let my wife sort the present or get some cool "uncle" gift.

I suggested a massive stuffed toy from the Disney store but was told that's a stupid Chandler and Joey type idea, which I don't really see as being a bad thing!

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Contact this girl https://www.facebook.com/creativetreedesigns1/

She does great baby stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Don't buy a huge stuffed toy!
    I'd suggest a voucher for Babygro Babies, you'll find her on Facebook. She makes bears from a baby's first couple of babygros.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

No teddies or blankets!!! If you don't want to do "thoughtful" like the above suggestions you could get something practical that will be needed in a few months time such as baby weaning items (spoons, bowls, freezer pots, sippy cups etc). You could get a nice set of their first cutlery in there too if you wanted the thoughtful bit.

Chances are they will get lots of clothes but if you do want to do clothes I would suggest vests and socks. People don't tend to buy those as they usually buy the little outfits but they need underwear too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Yourself and my husband are kindred spirits, as a result I'm chief present buyer in this house (lucky me!)

This is my go to for nieces and nephews, something a bit different!

http://www.babyandchristening.ie/product/abc-name/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Random8487

For all of my nieces and nephews I bought 6-8 months old clothes as they get so many new or /0-3 months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Digs wrote: »
    Yourself and my husband are kindred spirits, as a result I'm chief present buyer in this house (lucky me!)

I received one of these for my daughter and love it!
    Have to say though, no matter how many clothes we got, the stuff bought by family was always worn as it was special. We got a giant giant doll from my mil as she has a tradition of buying first doll for grand daughters. Yes it's ridiculous but it always reminds us of her and my now 2 year old loves it! To a certain extent it's nice to do something different and be the cool uncle and show your personality. Leave practical presents for people who aren't as important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Brilliant guys, really appreciate all the responses, will take all on board but can't promise I won't end up with a stuffed toy ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

One person did get ours a Leinster rugby baby kit which was very much loved! We wouldn't have bought it ourselves but a guy friend insisted it was an essential!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

lazygal wrote: »
    One person did get ours a Leinster rugby baby kit which was very much loved! We wouldn't have bought it ourselves but a guy friend insisted it was an essential!

Maybe a Mayo football kit so!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I adore these stools. You can get them engraved with name and date of birth
    http://www.pixieandfleur.com/pages/monkey-pod-stools
    Or you could buy slightly different ones http://www.littlemissmolly.ie/stools.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Digs wrote: »

I love these! I secretly hoped that someone would buy one for my boy, but no such luck!! It's the kind of thing I'd never buy for him myself though!

Millem wrote: »
    I adore these stools. You can get them engraved with name and date of birth
    http://www.pixieandfleur.com/pages/monkey-pod-stools
    Or you could buy slightly different ones http://www.littlemissmolly.ie/stools.html

These are fab! I've never seen them before!

jlm29 wrote: »
    These are fab! I've never seen them before!

They are stunning! when I came back from the craft fair I was telling my 6th years about them. It turns a few had gotten them as presents when they were younger and still love them :)

The first ones are very very heavy and more chunky. The girl sells them at market in Marley park at weekend.

The pictures with names man was also at the fair and gave me a promo code for €10/€5 off, I will see can I find leaflet. They are also fab :)

I have become an uncle and want to get a gift for my nephew. Not too sure what to do, should I just get a gift voucher from mothercare, let my wife sort the present or get some cool "uncle" gift.

I suggested a massive stuffed toy from the Disney store but was told that's a stupid Chandler and Joey type idea, which I don't really see as being a bad thing!

Opinions?

Anything will be much appreciated- if it's their first, there's so many things to buy, that I'm sure a voucher such as for mothercare, or a one for all would be much appreciated. For a nephew though, something nice and keepsakey is a good idea! Or you could, if you wanted to be a bit impractical but still get something that would eventually be used, buy a toy for him to grow into, such as a wooden train set (says the woman who just tripped over silly train tracks and got a bit irate!!!).
    I also got a voucher for newborn photography this time round, which was a great present!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

My brother got our girl a tiny little Clare Jersey with her name on the back, which was a perfect gift from him!! She got plenty of outfits and teddies, but this was a very special present. He got it from the o'neills website.

We got a hand and foot imprints voucher. It is around €100 and they do them in brown thomas and mothercare :)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

An oversized teddy sounds fun, but is probably impractical given that they probably would have a lot of baby equipment to find a place for in their home.

A voucher for photography is a nice one to give I think - that way they get a photo for the walls and they could use it for the thank you cards and obligatory photo to the grandparents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I preferred practical gifts to teddys etc. you would always give them the treat of s night away and you mind the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Ear thermometer if they are first time parents and don't have it yet. A bit of sniffles it teething and I was checking the first ones temperature every twenty minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

CaraMay wrote: »
    I preferred practical gifts to teddys etc. you would always give them the treat of s night away and you mind the child.

I wouldn't be too keen on suggesting they go for a night away and the OP babysits their baby. Maybe some parents might be happy with that but a lot wouldn't. If a sibling had said that was their gift I would've been pretty unimpressed at the suggestion! I just don't think it is a thing you say to a new mother especially - oh have a night away and I'll mind your baby. They've only just given birth, it's not a good time to suggest unnecessary separation. Plus if she's breastfeeding, it's not an option anyway. It's probably the last thing on her mind to head off for a night away. However it is a good suggestion for when they are older (much older I mean!)

OP, I would steer clear of clothes (I hated clothes presents - they were always totally impractical). B Toys do lovely toys - their soft alphabet blocks are a big hit here, along with their 4 pack of balls, etc. I think teddies are a lovely gift - assuming it's a nice teddy! Jellycat teddies are so soft and suitable from newborn. You can get huge giant ones which are fab. Soft books are also great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement