Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking A Masters (History/International Relations/Law)

Options
  • 17-04-2016 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

m sorry if this in the wrong place. Please direct me to the right forum if it is.

Hi, I am currently in my second year of an Arts course in NUIG, doing History and Sociology/Politics in which I am on track to recieve a 1.1, if I keep up the good work. I am trying to be proactive and prepare for the eventual decision of picking a masters. I have three separate options in mind, firstly is Early Modern History in Trinity, second is International Relations or a politics masters like it, in UCD and finally, a masters in Common Law in UCD.
    While I love history and that is where my passion is, I do not see myself as a lecturer or a teacher and doubt that a well paid job would be forthcoming from that option.
    I have a great interest in politics and international relations or european politics, and I would love to work in a foreign country in Europe or further a field for a few years, exercising the knowledge I would have earned from this course. And so this is a serious contender.
    Finally, Common Law. I have no experience in any legal course or subject but I have a serious interest in law, and even considered doing it as a course until I was dissuaded from it by my career guidance teacher, because she didnt think I had the charisma for being a solicitor. But this course allows for a student to have nk background in the area and teaches it like a normal law course in two years instead of three or four.

The only thing is I keep changing back and forth between each of these options, thinking one is better than the other or that I would be happier with a life with another. Most recently it has been centred upon the Common Law masters, w
    Recently I have been considering life as a beaurecrat, particularly civil servant perhaps in the Department of Foreign Affairs or any other Department in the Irish or European institutions, but Im unsure if I would be well-equipped enough for this with a Common Law masters. I keep jumping back and forth on whether I would do Kings Inn afterwards and proceed from there to be a solicitor.

To be completely honest I am kind of confused and weary of thinking about it all. I would to thank anyone who has read to this point in the post and would also like to ask for any advice that anyone could give me in this. I know it is probably all very muddled, but I would really appreciate any responses.

Advertisement