Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slack: an agile email killer-based app

Options
  • 17-04-2016 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Used Slack.com and app on a rapid development software devevelopment project. Super email killer (translation: killer of a major time sync). Loved the integrations with other services too (DropBox, GitHub, etc). Worked brilliantly on our PaaS projects.

www.programmableweb.com/api/slack

Pondering if it scales though? Plus isn't your conversation on someone else's cloud?

So....

Experiences with Slack with Irish-based or global development? Any large-scale teams (20+) and did the management balk at any security issues such as IP discussions in the cloud?

Takes some beating.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

uvox wrote: »
    Used Slack.com and app on a rapid development software devevelopment project. Super email killer (translation: killer of a major time sync). Loved the integrations with other services too (DropBox, GitHub, etc). Worked brilliantly on our PaaS projects.

www.programmableweb.com/api/slack

Pondering if it scales though? Plus isn't your conversation on someone else's cloud?

So....

Experiences with Slack with Irish-based or global development? Any large-scale teams (20+) and did the management balk at any security issues such as IP discussions in the cloud?

Takes some beating.

We used it for a few hundred of our employees. It's a great tool for sharing and organizing teams, but would never use it for anything important, due to the fact that they don't encrypt data at rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Yep, the consultancy I work for use it (70+ people), and also I am using it on a client project, and this particular client uses it for the whole division I am working with (50+ people). Keep in mind that org admins can read chat history!

It's a great tool, very nice to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I find it too noisy, especially their mobile apps. You can mute a room for an amount of time, but that is not very optimal. Every message gives a notification instead of grouping them. This can be very annoying if you are not available.

HipChat is my current fave, but their mobile app is poorer than slacks, it crashes a lot when sharing. But at least you only get notified if you/all/room are directly mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

jester77 wrote: »
    HipChat is my current fave, but their mobile app is poorer than slacks, it crashes a lot when sharing. But at least you only get notified if you/all/room are directly mentioned.
    You can easily configure Slack to work that way too. It's a setting in your profile that controls it.

We've been using it company-wide for several months and love it.

The mobile apps are excellent.

3rd party integrations - most of them are really good, though I'm yet to find a good RSS one

• Advertisement

Blacknight wrote: »
    You can easily configure Slack to work that way too. It's a setting in your profile that controls it.

How do you do this? I've Notifications set to "Direct messages & highlight words" but I still get notified for every single message.

jester77 wrote: »
    How do you do this? I've Notifications set to "Direct messages & highlight words" but I still get notified for every single message.

Are you using iOS or Android? On iOS it's working fine. This is what mine is set to:

Blacknight wrote: »
    Are you using iOS or Android? On iOS it's working fine. This is what mine is set to:

I'm on android, similar settings. I just end up snoozing in order to turn it off.

Just seen under General settings that there is a push timing, I've set it to the max of 30 mins. Might help a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

We used it initially but were told to stop using it as it's not secure, nothing we used it for was confidential but still alas we cannot use it at all but when using it found it to be better than email but not without it's problems.

If you are away for any amount of time then trying to track back through the chat can be a tiring task. We created rooms for general chit chat too but it often spilled into the technical rooms causing it to be a bit messy but I'm sure with some moderation or guidelines this could be easily avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Thanks for sharing the insights. Good observations. I think it has a solid UX, but again, posting confidential stuff is a no-no.

• Advertisement
Advertisement