Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary or secondary teaching?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

is this thread serious or a wind up? id say social skills would be of the utmost importance when teaching, you will have to interact so differently to so many people during the day. parents, colleagues, students,inspectors. it will be a good help if you can get on with them all and thats not easy to do or at least be able to pass yourself off with them. if you have a real desire for it then go ahead, im only starting out as well at secondary teaching. the biggest advice i got and would give is to be confident but not cocky if you can, even if you are nervous, never let it show to students. you are gooing to control them not the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I think that you may develop an interest in working in the third level sector perhaps as a lecturer.

There you would have high achieving students who actually want to be in the College or course they are on.
    In primary and secondary it is compulsory to attend but not so in college.

You could specialize in the subjects or areas that you are most interested in, become involved in research projects while furthering your own education through to Doctorate level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yes like I'm doing ordinary level English and I'm still learning for crying out loud, thank you!

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm. If it's not and you are taking ordinary level English you will not be able to be any sort of teacher as you do not meet the entry requirements for teaching courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

GarIT wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is sarcasm. If it's not and you are taking ordinary level English you will not be able to be any sort of teacher as you do not meet the entry requirements for teaching courses.

Really?? That's funny I'm a teacher and did OL English

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

seavill wrote: »
    Really?? That's funny I'm a teacher and did OL English

You're right, I was sure higher English was a requirement but I checked a few colleges just now and they will accept a C or higher at ordinary level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

if you go back asa mature student over 22 then you dont need a leaving cert at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Hi OP. I can really appreciate your enthusiasm and determination.
    A few years ago I too was trying to decide between doing Primary or Secondary teaching.
    I decided on Secondary and I am Newly Qualified Teacher. In 6th year I thought that Secondary would suit me because of a pretty ridiculous reason . I may go back and do Primary at some stage.

Just to give you my experience - I am currently working part time (most of my college class are unemployed). It takes an hour to get to my school everyday and I'm earning less than €300 a week.
    Everyday, chances are I will get cursed at or insulted by a student. I've also been abused by parents and had students firing objects at me.
    Teachers are constantly under pressure to cover all of the syllabus content, you don't have a huge amount of freedom. You could be inspected at any time and there is a LOT of paperwork involved. You also have to cater for all students in your class however complex their needs.
    I'm not at all trying to turn you off teaching. I just wish I knew this kind of stuff when I was in school. I do still love teaching but it is extremely challenging at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Hi OP. I can really appreciate your enthusiasm and determination.
    A few years ago I too was trying to decide between doing Primary or Secondary teaching.
    I decided on Secondary and I am Newly Qualified Teacher. In 6th year I thought that Secondary would suit me because of a pretty ridiculous reason . I may go back and do Primary at some stage.

Just to give you my experience - I am currently working part time (most of my college class are unemployed). It takes an hour to get to my school everyday and I'm earning less than €300 a week.
    Everyday, chances are I will get cursed at or insulted by a student. I've also been abused by parents and had students firing objects at me.
    Teachers are constantly under pressure to cover all of the syllabus content, you don't have a huge amount of freedom. You could be inspected at any time and there is a LOT of paperwork involved. You also have to cater for all students in your class however complex their needs.
    I'm not at all trying to turn you off teaching. I just wish I knew this kind of stuff when I was in school. I do still love teaching but it is extremely challenging at times.

So what about a grinds teacher or just tutor instead of primary, secondary or third-level teacher?

Advertisement