Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Téann v. Imigh

Options
  • 17-04-2016 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I know Chuaigh means 'went' and 'D'imigh' means 'went away'. But how do you know when Imigh should be used over chuaigh. I would have thought Imigh would be more natural to describe going on holidays, rather than going to work. Or, does 'D'imigh' actually imply something else like leaving permanently?

I came across this review of the poem Mac Eile Ag Imeacht. "Nuair a úsáideann an file an focal seo, tuigimid nach é seo an chéad mhac léi a d'imigh thar lear - chuaigh páistí eile ar imirce roimhe seo.... is dócha gur daoine iad atá ag dul ar laethanta saoire...."

There seems to be no distinction made between both verbs here, even though the context is the same, emigration.

Nancy Stenson has 'Chuaigh Dáithí ar saoire'. Is Chuaigh chosen here because it's implied he's coming back?

I posted this here back in September 2014, but didn't get feedback: "He went home. Chuaigh sé abhaile nó D'imigh (imigh: go + away) sé abhaile? Deirinn "Chuaigh sé abhaile" ach anois nílim cinnte. Cad é an difríocht bheacht idir an dá acu?

Any clarification on when to use each verb would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mrsherself

Sorry for the late reply!!

Basically, téigh means to go. Imigh, on the other hand, means to leave. So you use them the same exact way you would use to go and to leave in english.
    So imigh doesnt mean to go away, it means to leave. However you differentiate between them in english, should be pretty much the same for irish.

Does that help?

Advertisement