Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What poets are you doing? HL

Options
  • 17-04-2016 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

Let's be honest, the poets this year are pretty tricky.
    TS Elliot's poems might as well be short stories, way too long and esoteric.
    Bishop is about as exciting as an episode of Fair City.
    Plath is awesome but she's probably not coming up.
    Yeats, Larkin and Dickinson are the only ones I like this year. I'll probably be forced to take up Durcan......

So, what are you guys doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cgill

I love Bishop and Ni Chuilleanain. I don't particularly like Yeats or Larkin, and I absolutely can't stand Dickinson and Plath.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Dickinson gave me an existential crisis, now we're doing Larkin and he isn't helping. Their poetry is a blessing and a curse for me.

As for the length and esoteric quality of Eliot's work, I actually kinda like it. It allows you to get lost in it and come up with many different interpretations (well, from what I remember, haven't read him in a while- I like him anyways).

Bishop bores me, I don't have the patience for her work. Too much description and not enough action for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

I will defend Bishop to the death, she's my favourite!
    We've done everyone except Larkin and Ní Chuilleanain. Absolutely cannot stand Durcan. If I never read another poem of his it'll be too soon. Complete and utter rubbish. Elliot has his tolerable moments (I like those landscape ones, should probably work on at least remembering the names :o ) but for the most part he annoys me too. I love Yeats' poems but as a person I really want to fight him. In order from favourite to least favourite (going purely on poetic skill) my order would be:
    Bishop - Yeats - Dickinson - Plath - Elliot -
    durcan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I have to admit I find Bishop quite tedious too! Saying that though she's a very handy poet to write about. Easy enough and nothing too complicated.

I find Yeats and Dickinson my favourites though. They're not too complicated but they've got lots of techniques to write on. Plath is a great poet but I find writing about her can be incredibly dull. I think Eliot is great! I love the amount of allusions and references in his pieces.

My class did Durcan but I missed it due to be out. I tried to catch up but I found it awful! He's poetry seems a little too basic for Leaving Cert level. Not to mention boring! I just learned Larkin by myself instead. I know he's not exactly exciting either but I felt his poetry is at least of a high standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

This is what I love about poetry, how subjective it is and how many different interpretations you'll get.

Bishop writes like she's making a technical manual for fishermen. Absolutely mundane dross masquerading as poetry,
    Larkin and Dickinson are both great, if only they'd stop making me anxious about death. I'm stressed enough as it without worrying about "the solving emptiness that lies beneath all we do"
    Plath is great but I know for a fact she won't come up again. Well, not a fact but it's unlikely. Depressing as f*** too.
    Just checked out Paul Durcan. One word: s***e
    Ni Chuillenan (not important enough for me to learn the spelling) is dire. Stuffing your poems with abstruse allusions just for the sake of it isn't profound - it's pretentious.
    I'm sure TS Elliot is very good but I just don't have the time to be deciphering his work. I remember there was that line in Spiderman 2 where Dr Octavius says to Peter the TS Elliot poem his wife is studying is more complicated than particle physics.
    Yeats is a man after my own heart: Anglo-Irish, elitist, hung up on girls who rejected him, I could swear he's been reading my diary :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement