Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragons Den 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

jmcc wrote: »
    It runs the risk of running into the overtrading problem where a business can't meet orders and can't upgrade the manufacturing equipment/production line to cope. These dragons may want to take a small business and build it up to being a dominant player in the market nationally and perhaps internationally. Not having the resources can keep a business small.

Regards...jmcc

Thing is that you can subcontract the manufacture, production and packaging of sausages and puddings out to other companies in the meantime. You determine the recipe and the sourcing of raw materials, they do the rest. It's standard for the business.

Yer woman with the allergy pens got a good deal with a good dragon. Dragon in pink is correct; it's easy to copy.

Regards,
    so long and thanks for the fish,

Red Kev

Those crisps are shyte, and I consider myself a crisp connoisseur.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I can't imagine the texture of these crisps being any good, what do you reckon Red Kev?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I don't know how some of these people come up with their valuations.

dee_mc wrote: »
    I can't imagine the texture of these crisps being any good, what do you reckon Red Kev?

Don't think I did eat them, but something very similar and the oil (or lack of) makes a big difference.

So I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

I'm convinced Quinn has no money to invest, he had an excuse for everything

Regards

Liam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

RobertKK wrote: »
    I don't know how some of these people come up with their valuations.
    The market is X. If we get n% of X we will be successful. That's generally the way.

Regards...jmcc

Red Kev wrote: »
    Thing is that you can subcontract the manufacture, production and packaging of sausages and puddings out to other companies in the meantime. You determine the recipe and the sourcing of raw materials, they do the rest. It's standard for the business.
    Still takes time and money to grow the business to the stage where it has to outsource.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Dr Turk Turkelton,
    c/o boards.ie,
    Ireland.

liam7831 wrote: »
    I'm convinced Quinn has no money to invest, he had an excuse for everything

Regards

Liam

Dear Sirs,
    Personally I think the Irish dragons are a joke. The only time they really make an investment is when the company is almost global and even then they will want about 60% of it.
    They should watch an episode of the English one and see how to act like a dragon.

Best regards,
    Dr Turk Turkelton MS OB/GYN DPM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Disappointed the fella from Kerry got nothing.
    He seemed to be just looking to supply local restraunts/hotels and in fairness that's a bit small time for 75k and the dragons time that goes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Disappointed the fella from Kerry got nothing.
    He seemed to be just looking to supply local restraunts/hotels and in fairness that's a bit small time for 75k and the dragons time that goes with it.

You didn't sign ur post ?

Regards
    Liam

• Advertisement

Still takes time and money to grow the business to the stage where it has to outsource.

Regards...jmcc

No it doesn't.

I can develop a sausage recipe here at home, then pay a company to produce as many of them as I wish. If and how I sell them is the next issue.

The thing with this show is that far too often the Dragons want a finished marketed product. That is not the philosophy or idea behind this programme, rather the Dragons are supposed to take an idea and develop that to market using their cash/experience/contacts. It'a about taking a share of the risk. You seem to be of the opinion that the product has to be 100% ready. As Dr Trkelton said they nearly want the product to be global. I've seen the programme in the UK and Germany, they are far more likely to invest in fledgling companies than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Dr Turk Turkelton,
    c/o boards.ie,
    Ireland.

Dear Sirs,
    Personally I think the Irish dragons are a joke. The only time they really make an investment is when the company is almost global and even then they will want about 60% of it.
    They should watch an episode of the English one and see how to act like a dragon.

Best regards,
    Dr Turk Turkelton MS OB/GYN DPM

Dear Dr Turk Turkelton MS OB/GYN DPM,

It is with deep regret and surprise that we find we must bring to your attention the lack of a date or reference in your previous correspondence.

As an obviously highly qualified professional, we feel that this may be slightly beneath your usual standards.

Regards...1.618

• Registered Users Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Happy for Treybo at the start of the show. Got to know the guy on the right hand side (the one wanting to do a deal) through poker in college haha!

Came across as a kind and intelligent person when I was with him. Having the background as they do (securities for PWC) had to have been a big help in convincing the Dragons that they were legitimate.

Red Kev wrote: »
    No it doesn't.
    Perhaps if you are a hobbyist with hopes of striking it rich. But you've still got to put food on the table and pay bills. That's where money raises its ugly head.
    I can develop a sausage recipe here at home, then pay a company to produce as many of them as I wish. If and how I sell them is the next issue.
    And that, along with the money required to get it to that stage is the business part.
    The thing with this show is that far too often the Dragons want a finished marketed product.
    There's another side to this programme. It may be a kind of last chance for people who either don't know how to raise funds from other sources or who have been turned down.
    That is not the philosophy or idea behind this programme, rather the Dragons are supposed to take an idea and develop that to market using their cash/experience/contacts.
    It should be. But all too often it ends up like some cattle mart rather than a business investment programme.
    It'a about taking a share of the risk.
    There's taking a share of the risk and taking a share of certain losses.
    You seem to be of the opinion that the product has to be 100% ready.
    No. I think that the products and services should be ready for investment. This is a completely different thing. This is where the expertise and funding from a dragon can help launch the product or make it a success. A dragon can't be expected to do everything for a business owner.
    As Dr Trkelton said they nearly want the product to be global.
    But a lot of the businesses that have appeared on the show in the past have been small, local businesses.
    I've seen the programme in the UK and Germany, they are far more likely to invest in fledgling companies than here.
    Bigger markets, more opportunities and more competition. Most of the businesses that appear on the Irish Dragons Den would not make the cut for the show in those countries. And not all the businesses that appear to get investment on those shows make it through the due diligence process that follows these offers.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

This Galway lady seems lovely

There's a market just off Shop St and the biscuits are on sale there. Top quality, but bloody expensive. Seaweed ones are the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Magpie, what a terrible name for a lady's magazine. Notoriously difficult market compounded by the tinniness of the Irish market...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

These two are a bit annoying. Well, one of them is. And they're not great at presenting it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

The magazine girls are a bit annoying. Not sure if they will get any investment

:(
    Birdsong wrote: »
    The magazine girls are a bit annoying. Not sure if they will get any investment

I doubt it myself...impossible to make money on id say. There's nothing behind the talk with your wan...

• Advertisement

So do they know how to make a small fortune in publishing?

Regards...jmcc

Holy fcuk they got an offer...this business is doomed, know of several magazines that have tried and failed. The Irish market is ridiculously small, that's why we have so many Uk publications here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Can't believe they got an offer. I'd nearly go out of my way to hide those magazines if I saw them in the shop because she was so annoying.

road_high wrote: »
    Holy fcuk they got an offer...this business is doomed, know of several magazines that have tried and failed. The Irish market is ridiculously small, that's why we have so many Uk publications here.
    No quantification of market size. No print run estimates. No distribution plan. No revenue projections. No explanation of how the magazine would fund itself. And yet it gets funding?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

These two are a bit annoying. Well, one of them is. And they're not great at presenting it well.

Thought this was just me. But ya she was very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

No quantification of market size. No print run estimates. No distribution plan. No revenue projections. No explanation of how the magazine would fund itself. And yet it gets funding?

Regards...jmcc

I really can't understand what the investment was for at all?!

Pitch: We have an idea to launch a magazine, I am a journalist and my friend here can use photoshop and things like that. I'm annoying, but sure it goes with the role. Give me 70k please?

Response: OK

mystic86 wrote: »
    I really can't understand what the investment was for at all?!
    Ego and cheap advertising.

Magazines are basically a means to sell advertising. The content is often quite irrelevant and with a lifestyle magazine, the readers would spend more time looking at the adverts than reading the content. The content is just a filler between the advertising. That's why the Daily Mail has the most popular "news" website and why the Irish Times is failing with its online subscription service.

The most dangerous thing for a publication is to show the dummy copies to your friends. They are always going to be supportive and positive, even if the dummy/prototype is rubbish.

You've got to identify and quantify your market. If you don't do this then you end up rudderless, clueless and broke. Educated urban females between 24 and 44. Where are the numbers? Think the price point on the magazine was about 3.95. So how much of that is taken up with print and distribution costs?
    Pitch: We have an idea to launch a magazine, I am a journalist and my friend here can use photoshop and things like that. I'm annoying, but sure it goes with the role. Give me 70k please?
    The most important acquisition for a non-subscription magazine is a good advertising manager because he or she is the one who brings in the money that keeps the magazine in business.

Many journalists make the mistake of thinking that they can carry a publication on their own. Most can't. Publishing is a business and a very ruthless one. There is a lot of competition in this particular niche and while a few succeed, the majority fail.

Some, speaking from the technologist point of view (another niche), don't even make it to the second or third issue without imploding. As a team, the pitch was missing the numbers and advertising people. Getting content from journalists is not the problem. It is a buyer's market. Getting people who know how to get advertising for a publication and run a publishing business is far more difficult. It would have been interesting to have had Nora Casey on that Dragons panel as she has a lot of expertise in that particular niche.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Lads can ye please have a bit of manners and sign your posts if you want to post in this thread please?

Regards...Thargor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Thargor wrote: »
    Lads can ye please have a bit of manners and sign your posts if you want to post in this thread please?

Regards...Thargor

This thread isn't what it use to be.

Sincerely,
    Synode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Agreed...

Regards...Thargor

Advertisement