Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Refurbished laptops

• 17-04-2016 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭

I've just bought a manufacturer refurbished laptop on ebay from LuzernTech and I have to say that I'm so impressed with the quality and the price

I paid just over 200 euros for an acer 15.6 inch laptop with 8gb ram and an AMD A10 7300 with integrated Radeon R6 graphics and it came in less than a week with a 1 year warranty

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/401102951161?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It was listed a a grade B but it's genuinely spotless. Not a single mark or scratch and the battery is on hour 3 as I type with an estimated hour remaining.

To get a similar spec laptop new would cost 450 euros minimum

In terms of performance, It's able to play BF3 on medium settings with the latest drivers installed. That's more than I expected, and certainly more than any 350 euro celeron or pentium laptop would manage.

I was always wary of refurbs, but after this one, and with this particular Ebay store, I'm totally converted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its a gamble, sounds like you got a good one but doesn't guarantee they always will be. Always worth considering though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

ED E wrote: »
    Its a gamble, sounds like you got a good one but doesn't guarantee they always will be. Always worth considering though :)

Yeah, it's a gamble, but if you stick to the reputable sellers with 99%+ reputation, who are selling manufacturer refurbished laptops and offer a decent warranty, it's not much more of a risk than buying a 'new' laptop online

Manufacturer refurbs aren't the latest models, but they have been quality checked twice, once as new, and again when it's refurbished, so if there was a faulty part, it's been replaced before you get it.

I'd stay clear of third party refurbs though because you have no idea how much testing was done or what damage was done to the unit before it was sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dimpey

Bought a refurbished Acer Aspire Touchscreen some years ago, from Laptops Direct, nearly wrecked my head spent a lot of money on it. It never worked sent it back but the same problem it would not work. Eventually after 18 months of writing to everyone I took great pleasure in taking it up a recycling centre and watched it BEING physically being crushed. Never again. Everybody said I should move on and beware in the future. oNCE BITTEN TWICE SHY.

dimpey wrote: »
    Bought a refurbished Acer Aspire Touchscreen some years ago, from Laptops Direct, nearly wrecked my head spent a lot of money on it. It never worked sent it back but the same problem it would not work. Eventually after 18 months of writing to everyone I took great pleasure in taking it up a recycling centre and watched it BEING physically being crushed. Never again. Everybody said I should move on and beware in the future. oNCE BITTEN TWICE SHY.

Ouch
    Sounds like pretty awful customer service

HI, its Dimpey again. After my thread to you a couple of days ago re Refurbished Acer Computer. I purchased a HP Envy 23 Touchscreen and have had no problem with it since I got it about 3 years ago. The other day it would not type. Nothing would come up on the screen. Got a replacement keyboard and new batteries to no avail. Brought it to my local IT shop and it has them baffled. Everything working except the keyboard. Can log in with my password but it has them baffled. Wondered if it was me [I am 66] but have been working with computers since I was 38] so not quite a novice. I use it for writing and spend hours typing on it. CAn anyone throw any light on it? Just come back recently to Boards and looking forward to posting threads etc. A couple of months ago HP sent me a note to say that from April 2016 replacement parts will not be available.

• Advertisement

dimpey wrote: »
    HI, its Dimpey again. After my thread to you a couple of days ago re Refurbished Acer Computer. I purchased a HP Envy 23 Touchscreen and have had no problem with it since I got it about 3 years ago. The other day it would not type. Nothing would come up on the screen. Got a replacement keyboard and new batteries to no avail. Brought it to my local IT shop and it has them baffled. Everything working except the keyboard. Can log in with my password but it has them baffled. Wondered if it was me [I am 66] but have been working with computers since I was 38] so not quite a novice. I use it for writing and spend hours typing on it. CAn anyone throw any light on it? Just come back recently to Boards and looking forward to posting threads etc. A couple of months ago HP sent me a note to say that from April 2016 replacement parts will not be available.

I had a quick look online and on windows there is a keyboard 'feature' called Key Filtering which can be accidentally turned on if you hold down the shift key for more than 8 seconds.

This will make it appear as though the keyboard isn't working

The solution is to hold shift for between 8 to 15 seconds and listen for a few quiet beeps. There might be a message on the screen asking you to confirm, if there is, select the option that turns key filtering off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I just got delivery of a PC from Luzerntech and I have to say I'm really unimpressed. A PC sent in a brown box - no bubble wrap, styrofoam, nothing. Thankfully the PC still works but the case is dented and the front panel is smashed..unsurprisingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I just got delivery of a PC from Luzerntech and I have to say I'm really unimpressed. A PC sent in a brown box - no bubble wrap, styrofoam, nothing. Thankfully the PC still works but the case is dented and the front panel is smashed..unsurprisingly.

Not great reviews online. (outside of eBay)
    https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=luzern%20technology%20solutions&lrd=0x4867129873e7351f:0x85d40af61d355129,1,,

Thank you so much for your helpful suggestion. I had an idea it was a key I perhaps inadvertently hit a couple of times. Googled some sites tonight and got a couple of helpful ideas which I did tell the IT man when I left it down to him. He told me today it was a fault in the computer and I would not anywhere with HP and I may have to think of getting a new Desktop. Gutted at this news as I feel I am losing my confidence with Desktops and am afraid to invest in another computer but really want one as I do a lot of writing and laptops are too slow and confining. After my experience with ACER but that was a faulty Refurbished Touchscreen which looked the business but it never worked. Will keep you updated. Thanks Again.

Advertisement