Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is my Macbook worth & where is best to sell it?

Options
  • 17-04-2016 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Planning on selling my Macbook and wondering how much you think it's probably worth and if you can recommend from experience where is best to sell it?

Details:

Macbook Air (11-inch, Mid 2013)
    Processer: 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
    Storage: 250GB
    Display: 11.6-inch 1366x768
    Condition: Superb, like new
    Included: Original box, as new. The white power lead has some yellow discolouration and the wire is frayed in one place with the insides exposed.

Any assistance appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

Well if you look at the refurb site you can probably see the 'as new' price of that machine for starters. You could probably lob off a few hundred then for wear and tear as a starting point. Apple MacBooks tend to hold their value actually so you should consider that too. They don't drp like a stone once they're a few years old like other machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Have you checked Mac2Sell? Just input the specs and it'll give you the price estimate. According to them your MacBook Air should be worth around €520. Also check for similar models on ebay as you'll probably sell it for more. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭talkto

Passenger wrote: »
    Have you checked Mac2Sell? Just input the specs and it'll give you the price estimate. According to them your MacBook Air should be worth around €520. Also check for similar models on ebay as you'll probably sell it for more. ;)

Thanks. Yeah I checked one of those websites before, and it gave me a similarly low price, but it seemed really wrong to me. If it's worth only €520 then that would mean it has depreciated by almost 60% in two and a half years. I'd expect that of a PC, but I thought Macs were meant to hold their value more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

talkto wrote: »
    Thanks. Yeah I checked one of those websites before, and it gave me a similarly low price, but it seemed really wrong to me. If it's worth only €520 then that would mean it has depreciated by almost 60% in two and a half years. I'd expect that of a PC, but I thought Macs were meant to hold their value more than that.

That's pretty decent, a lot more than I was expecting. That's rate of depreciation is close to what you'd be lucky to get in a decent car. You'd be hard pressed to get that figure from any PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

What did you think it was worth after 3 years? You can get a brand new one from Apple with a much better spec for €1200. If I was being honest I would have put yours at 350-400 at the max

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

I would say it's about right considering the rate that specs improve with each update. You would probably get considerably more if it's well taken care of.

That's rate of depreciation is close to what you'd be lucky to get in a decent car.

The depreciation rate of cars is hardly relevant here, though.

Incidentally, a decent car would depreciate by more than 60% over two and a half years?

smash wrote: »
    What did you think it was worth after 3 years?

It hasn't been 3 years. To answer your question..... As per my opening post above: I did not know how much it would be worth, obviously, since I started the thread. And as per my previous post: I thought it would not have depreciated by as much as 60%.

Passenger wrote: »
    I would say it's about right considering the rate that specs improve with each update. You would probably get considerably more if it's well taken care of.

Thanks for your help, Passenger. I'll look around for various quotes. It is in Like New condition.

It hasn't been 3 years. To answer your question..... As per my opening post above: I did not know how much it would be worth, obviously, since I started the thread. And as per my previous post: I thought it would not have depreciated by as much as 60%.

You've owned it for 2years 7months. But the spec is probably 3 years old, maybe more.

• Advertisement

The depreciation rate of cars is hardly relevant here, though.

Incidentally, a decent car would depreciate by more than 60% over two and a half years?

There's a thread on the motor forum called Dreamer of the Year incidentally. I'd expect that your average premium segment car shouldn't be that much.

My point being your expectations and reality of depreciation; that a car is a fairly static entity. You might get a midlife upgrade after four years. Your laptop isn't. It'll depreciate at a much higher rate.

The 11inch was Was always a niche product and its become far less attractive with the new MacBook. You can say this for the MBA overall. Also, The MBA has just had another bump in spec and yours has gone down the pecking order again. Again, this is a three year old spec laptop. If it were a PC it'd probably be 150-200 at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

As a matter of interest, what do you think my macbook air is worth?

Macbook Air (13 inch, Early 2014)
    Processer: 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    Storage: 128GB Flash
    Display: 13.3-inch 1440x900

galljga1 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, what do you think my macbook air is worth?

Macbook Air (13 inch, Early 2014)
    Processer: 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    Storage: 128GB Flash
    Display: 13.3-inch 1440x900
    crap storage on that. I'll give you €150 for it

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

crap storage on that. I'll give you €150 for it

:pac:
    Crap storage indeed. I also have a 128 gig jet drive which fits into the sd slot without protrusion. I wouldn't but an Air again. My 5/6 year old Macbook Pro is still a better machine.

Does the air have retina display?

galljga1 wrote: »
    Crap storage indeed. I also have a 128 gig jet drive which fits into the sd slot without protrusion. I wouldn't but an Air again. My 5/6 year old Macbook Pro is still a better machine.

The MBA is still probably my favourite laptop I've owned. I've a maxed out late 2014 15inch MBPr which is massively more powerful, but I don't love it like I did the MBA. The screen is ****e on the MBA once you go back to it admittedly.

The 4 GB of RAM is the killer on your machine, not the storage. Crucially it is the 13inch Air. I'd say realistically 600 euro would be very good going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Does the air have retina display?

No.

Advertisement