Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TOTW

• 17-04-2016 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi , can anyone tell me if taste of the wild is available to buy anywhere in cork? I'm thinking of changing my puppy to it, he is on burns at the moment but seems to be pooing a lot, although solid it was mentioned that maybe he wasn't getting enough nutrients from it. I know I can buy online but would also like to be able to go to shop for it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

I don't get why pooing a lot would be a sign of not getting enough nutrition? If he's not too thin etc. he's probably getting enough calories, and micronutrient deficiency wouldn't make him poo more.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Andso

Sorry should have said he was eating it as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Wish I could advise you OP, but I don't live in Cork!
    Latatian wrote: »
    I don't get why pooing a lot would be a sign of not getting enough nutrition? If he's not too thin etc. he's probably getting enough calories, and micronutrient deficiency wouldn't make him poo more.

Dog food that contains more filler (which isn't really nutritious for dogs) tend to cause dogs to poo more. My little lads are on mainly a meat based diet, they go twice a day and their poo is tiny. :o

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

That's what I'm hoping for vonvix , as my fella has just started going out in full garden, and I have 3 young kids, hate the thought of them bringing in poo on their shoes, clothes etc.
    I'll buy online for the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Andso wrote: »
    That's what I'm hoping for vonvix , as my fella has just started going out in full garden, and I have 3 young kids, hate the thought of them bringing in poo on their shoes, clothes etc.
    I'll buy online for the moment

How old is your puppy and what size/breed? Puppies tend to poo more as well.

Zooplus have a fab selection, my GSD puppy was on Markus Muhle NaturNah and his poos improved hugely from what he was on originally, granted they weren't fewer but they were much firmer and easier to pick up. I'm currently switching him over to the Lukullus dry food (beef and trout flavour) as I can afford to get something a little bit more expensive for him now, hopefully it won't upset his tummy!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Latatian wrote: »

If the body isn't using the food, then it will excrete it, so if a dog is going to the toilet a lot, then it would suggest that it is getting rid of things it doesn't need, so I would question the nutritional value of it.

He is a 9month old springer spaniel

That's what I felt muddy paws but as a first time dog owner I wasn't sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Andso- is he eating the poo? http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vmth/local_resources/pdfs/behavior_pdfs/Coprophagy_in_dogs.pdf

Going to the toilet a lot etc doesn't mean the dog isn't getting enough nutrition or the food is of worse quality- it just means it's excreting something found in the food. If a human eats only chicken nuggets their stool would be a lot smaller than a diet with fresh fruit and vegetables. Carnivores will naturally eat things that will pass through- hair, feathers, herbivore stomach contents etc. Maybe owners just like dog foods more if they have fibre vs processed feathers or deer-gut-contents? I have never seen evidence that larger stools mean the food is worse or are a health issue for the dog, if anyone has a source please do tell me 'cos I am genuinely interested to know. Not trying to be controversial or anything, but it's one of those things people worry about and it sort of seems like dogs just have different consistency stools.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Have you tried MaxiZoo OP? I'm 99% sure our local MaxiZoo has TOTW, but it is one of the XXL shops. Could be worth a look though?

Latatian, thanks for the link. When he was smaller puppy he was more confined to an outside space and much easier to collect poo before he ate it but now he has grown, so has his need for more space we have opened up the full half acre site for him so it's near impossible to watch out for it and also with the amount of times he is going I would literally be outside most of day. It does say in the link hat it could be an mbalance diet but felt I was doing ok with Burns. That's why I was gonna change to taste of the wild.
    I've tried my local maxizoo choc chip but they don't stock it ,only a similar own brand and dont want to go down that road of food only being available in their store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Think they have it at the pet shop at the airport roundabout, I think.

Thanks snowman, tried there as well and again only own brand which they say is similar to TOTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Op would you not just order it form zooplus.ie?

I've been ordering my TOWT from here for 5 plus years and no issues?

Puppies tend to poo alot more than older dogs , i have my cocker on Burns for around 5 years or so it was OK (i thought it was great at the time) moved him onto TOTW and he is in excellent condition... I also add some boiled veg, meat and sardines , scarmbled egg etc to his food every now and then

Yes I guess I will have to, just like the freedom of going into shop to buy if I go low or my small daughter empties it in black bin��

Advertisement