Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a job in the Gaeltacht

Options
  • 17-04-2016 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I want to apply for a job in a restaurant and I was wondering if I should write my cover letter in English or Irish? The ad states the applicant must be fluent in English and a command of Irish is an advantage but not essential.

I've no experience of working in a restaurant so I feel like writing it in Irish would be the only reason that they might consider me, as it shows I've made an effort and I can speak a bit of Irish. I'm not fluent but I'm doing Irish for my leaving cert, so I'd probably make a few mistakes but surely that'd be ok if most of it is correct.

So should I do it in English or Irish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Maybe do it bilingual?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Lee_la wrote: »
    I want to apply for a job in a restaurant and I was wondering if I should write my cover letter in English or Irish? The ad states the applicant must be fluent in English and a command of Irish is an advantage but not essential.

I've no experience of working in a restaurant so I feel like writing it in Irish would be the only reason that they might consider me, as it shows I've made an effort and I can speak a bit of Irish. I'm not fluent but I'm doing Irish for my leaving cert, so I'd probably make a few mistakes but surely that'd be ok if most of it is correct.

So should I do it in English or Irish?
    If they don't speak Irish they'll throw your cover letter in the bin.

I'd do it bilingual with English first.

Advertisement