Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK changes its motor tax system

• 17-04-2016 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭

Seems the chaps over the water are tweaking their motor tax system for 2017. Always interesting to see how they do things as we typically follow suit.

In 2015, 75% of new cars in the UK paid no tax at all due to ever decreasing CO2 emissions.

The table below is how they're going to be taxed from April next year, which draws in virtually all previously tax exempt vehicles.

screen_shot_2015-07-08_at_14.50.01_1_zpsrdclf8f1.png~original

Any anyone who spends over £40,000 on a new car will pay an additional £310 a year for the first five years.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/149454/new-road-tax-vehicle-excise-duty-ved-to-soar-in-2017#

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I like that system.
    Obviously I like systems with no motortax more, but this above is very reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Me too. For a second, the highest rate looks scandalous. Then you realise it's only for one year and is pretty much the same rate we have to pay EVERY year for the same vehicle, 1 week old or 20 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I drive, 97 bmw 840, so over 2 grand. However, my beemer always tests much lower for co and co2 then much smaller cars?

Skatedude wrote: »
    I dont, 97 bmw 840, so over 2 grand. However, my beemer always tests much lower for co and co2 then much smaller cars?

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I dont, 97 bmw 840, so over 2 grand. However, my beemer always tests much lower for co and co2 then much smaller cars?

There's still time to re-read the table, quick! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Read the thing again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

You'd have only paid two grand had you bought it new...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The first year rate seems a bit pointless. Just whack an extra bit of tax on the purchase/registration tax.

The first year rate seems a bit pointless. Just whack an extra bit of tax on the purchase/registration tax.

UK don't have purchase/registration tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

dar83 wrote: »
    You'd have only paid two grand had you bought it new...

....yeah in the first year, 350 a year for the next 4 years and 140 a year thereafter.

We can only dream about such tax over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CiniO wrote: »
    UK don't have purchase/registration tax.

They can call it anything they like and just include it in the price.

Anyway, iirc they have a £50 flat registration fee. Or at least did.

:confused::confused::confused:

sorry, auto correct . i drive a 97 8 series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Seems the chaps over the water are tweaking their motor tax system for 2017. Always interesting to see how they do things as we typically follow suit.

In 2015, 75% of new cars in the UK paid no tax at all due to ever decreasing CO2 emissions.

The table below is how they're going to be taxed from April next year, which draws in virtually all previously tax exempt vehicles.

screen_shot_2015-07-08_at_14.50.01_1_zpsrdclf8f1.png~original

Any anyone who spends over £40,000 on a new car will pay an additional £310 a year for the first five years.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/149454/new-road-tax-vehicle-excise-duty-ved-to-soar-in-2017#

So in a few years time our glorious leaders will copy the table and leave out the 3rd column

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

sorry, auto correct . i drive a 97 8 series

I think you should stick with the skating.....dude.

Del2005 wrote: »
    So in a few years time our glorious leaders will copy the table and leave out the 3rd column

And, we as a nation will keep re-electing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

We will never ever have those types of rates.
    The government just doesn't care about us when it comes to our tax rates.
    They would simply respond to buy a 1.0 tdi ****box so we can still pay 200 odd euro a year for misery.
    Fcuk them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jca wrote: »
    And, we as a nation will keep re-electing them.

We don't elect our glorious leaders. We elect politicians who are told what to do by the glorious leaders in the civil service, who have jobs for life and no accountability.

But those rates from 2nd column, are already cheaper than our current rates here

We don't elect our glorious leaders. We elect politicians who are told what to do by the glorious leaders in the civil service, who have jobs for life and no accountability.

Yea yea yea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

But those rates from 2nd column, are already cheaper than our current rates here

Don't worry, they will move those 2 columns around to drive sales , and then double the figures in column 3 ( former column 2) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

It would be great if they mirrored this. With the upturn in new car sales it could possibly work. Hike up/ reduce the yearly rate for all cars to say €400 a year. Slap on 5k for the first year on 3.8 litres and above. The lads splashing €150k plus won't be too bothered and the Enthusiasts get to enjoy decent second hand cars.

It would be great if they mirrored this. With the upturn in new car sales it could possibly work. Hike up/ reduce the yearly rate for all cars to say €400 a year. Slap on 5k for the first year on 3.8 litres and above. The lads splashing €150k plus won't be too bothered and the Enthusiasts get to enjoy decent second hand cars.

But what about the emissions the emissions the emissions and no more chape tax chape tax chape tax.....there'd be a revolution I tell ya, an unholy revolution...

jca wrote: »
    I think you should stick with the skating.....dude.

I suck at skating, 20+ screws ans pins in my ankle and leg, but was fun until then

Advertisement