Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Java Programming Learning Aids

• 17-04-2016 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to refresh myself with Java which I last used about 15 years ago at Uni.

In my job I'll be writing Java using Eclipse and to ease myself into it I want to get back up to speed with the syntax and quirks/effects of this language.

I've signed up for a free Udemy course called Java Tutorial for Complete Beginners (https://www.udemy.com/java-tutorial/learn/v4/overview). I'm finding it a bit dry, but will probably persevere with it.

Are there any recommended books for Java - I'll not be working with Android, or websites.
    Finally, is there an alternative course I should be doing for Java or Eclipse?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi, I've been looking at Head First Java and Effective Java.

Does anyone have either of these books? I'll be moving across from a proprietary language so was wondering which would be more suitable? I'd like a good overview of OOD.

As an aside, any good recommendations for general programming design and concepts? Something that covers the higher level of structuring and thinking out your solutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is there much of a difference between Java 6 and Java 8? I'm thinking of opting for the Effective Java book, but it is upto date for Java 6 and not Java 8. I see what has been subsequently introduced - things like Lambda, etc.

Is Effective Java now redundant or where should I refer to for assistance?

Thanks.

Advertisement