Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which top level player has had biggest dip in form over last season or two?

• 17-04-2016 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭

Was just watching MOTD and seen Cesc Fabregas, and realised he has gone from one of the world's top touted players to quite average looking (by top standards).

His career has bombed since the move to Chelsea, and it kinda floundered a bit at Barcelona too IIRC.

Others popping into my head are Hazard this season, Falcao (injury has played a part I suppose).

Let's be having your candidates.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Yaya Toure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Sanchez hasn't been anywhere near what he was last season, partially injury and partially just not as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Diego Costa

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Diego Costa

No way should he even be near this discussion.

Trying to stay away from Chelsea players here.

Moussa Sissoko for Newcastle. Was highly touted for quite a while and is now hated by many fans (although he scored an important goal yesterday).

Leighton Baines (injuries may have played a factor) has digressed so much.

Theo Walcott has fallen away altogether.

Wayne Rooney deserves to be in the discussion.

Memphis Depay

Per Mertesacker has been atrocious for a while now.

Top level might be a stretch for a couple of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Diego Costa

No dip, just found out.

Falcao
    Fabregas
    Pedro
    Kompany (injuries mainly but he has lost a lot of presence and concentration also)
    Rooney

On a smaller context
    Baines
    Darmian and Depay
    Shelvey and Tiote
    I'd say Fellaini but I think its mainly due to the way he has been managed. His confidence is gone also and he doesnt look like he wants to be there anymore.
    Benteke of course also.

callaway92 wrote: »
    No way should he even be near this discussion.

His form this season was good then?

Particularly in comparison to his form from 2 seasons ago, and 3 seasons ago?

Or is it you don't think he was ever a top level player?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

His form this season was good then?

Particularly in comparison to his form from 2 seasons ago, and 3 seasons ago?

Or is it you don't think he was ever a top level player?

I didn't say his form was good all season. I just wouldn't particularly note it as much of a dip at all. He has had a couple of fine runs this season which have been interrupted by injuries.

He has still scored many goals this season.

So his form has dipped then.

So his form has dipped then.

The question was who had the biggest dip in form and I said he shouldn't be near the discussion. That generally would mean that others have had far larger dips in form and not.

Can you not understand that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Di Maria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

NIMAN wrote: »
    Was just watching MOTD and seen Cesc Fabregas, and realised he has gone from one of the world's top touted players to quite average looking (by top standards).

His career has bombed since the move to Chelsea, and it kinda floundered a bit at Barcelona too IIRC.

Others popping into my head are Hazard this season, Falcao (injury has played a part I suppose).

Let's be having your candidates.

Fabregas was outstanding last season but he's anonymous this year like everyone else at Chelsea.

callaway92 wrote: »
    The question was who had the biggest dip in form and I said he shouldn't be near the discussion. That generally would mean that others have had far larger dips in form and not.

Can you not understand that?

Ok, ill simplify it also.

You're wrong to say he shouldn't be near the discussion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

2 years ago Joleen Lescott had just left league champions Man City and was playing so well that he WBA fans were making calls for him to get a call-up back into the England squad. This year most Villa fans were hoping he would be sold (as rumored) to the MLS in January and he has probably been the most criticized player on their abysmal run to relegation.

Maybe not a "top level player" like the thread asked for but before his decent it could be argued he was. Now I never want to see him play for Villa again. That said most names on this list who have been mentioned have either been ravaged with injuries or their entire team were sh!te by their usual standards (could also apply to Villa I guess) so it's harder to tell if it was just that individual player under performing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Eden Hazard says 'Hello'

Ok, ill simplify it also.

You're wrong to say he shouldn't be near the discussion.

Hmm, agree to disagree so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Nemanja Matic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hazard or Fabregas

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Obviously a few years ago, but Fernando Torres' fall from being one of the best strikers in the world still amazes me

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

shocked Hazard wasn't mentioned straight away.
    Also
    - Oscar
    - Matic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭brock92

Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Schweinsteiger. As with some of the others injuries have played their part. But in the past two seasons he's gone from being a big part of a World Cup winning squad to an ineffective midfielder at United.

Think Guardiola got a bit of stick for letting him go but obviously knew what was coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Matic, close thread.

Hazard, hasnt done much this season but when he was fit and not scoring he was still playing well enough, a dip yes, of course, because hes reguarly scored goals and got assists but nowhere near as bad as Matic who looks like a guy plucked from ths stands anytime hes played this year but you could say that about 90% of the Chelsea team this season.

Someone suggesting Fabregas though is laughable, he was probably our 3rd best player last year, he got implicted in the trio not backing Jose and refusing to play for him this year, even though he was the only one of the three to come out and publicly back him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Surely Hazard. POTY last year scoring 19 in all competitions and being instrumental in a league winning team as opposed to this season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Hazard for me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Hazard, Fabregas and Matic all have nosedived this season.

Yaya Toure & Wayne Rooney aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Has to be Hazard. Unstoppable last year, hasn't contributed much at all this year. Matic and Fabregas too. Don't think Rooney has been as bad this season as some would claim, been injured a bit though. Yaya Toure is also a small bit unfair as he's just reaching an age where he's probably in a natural decline, he's not a patch on the player he was though alright.

Don't see how Costa could be mentioned really, not as good as last year but still has 14 goals in all comps with a few games left compared to 21 last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Angel Di Maria, Juan Mata, Falcoa, Pedro and Eden Hazard are the ones that come to mind for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Rooney is in great form in the last 10 games or so he has played. Yet gets mentioned more than anyone on this thread. Strange.

Mata has gone backwards this season, Herrera too. Rojo not looked great but that is more of a positional change thing imo.

Outside of United there is obviously a good few at Chelsea. Navas seems to have gone backwards. I wonder if it's just a coincidence that a lot of the players are Spanish, even Silva doesn't do as well anymore imo but it may be that the less dynamic and more technical players are finding it tougher.

• Advertisement

Angel Di Maria, Juan Mata, Falcoa, Pedro and Eden Hazard are the ones that come to mind for me.

Di Maria is playing relatively well for PSG . Had a small slump towards Nov/Dec but starting to look a little bit like the player he was.

Ditto Mata, he is not in his natural position at Utd but has worked around that and he links up a lot in final third. At his last season at Chelski he was either out of the team fue to Jose tactics or out of form due to confidence. He is starting to look like he's very settled at United. (In my opinion!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Toni Kroos, Pique (he's always v.good or pretty bad imo), De Rossi, Kondogbia (was fantastic vs Napoli on Saturday mind), Dzeko, Iturbe, Inler, Papiss Cisse, Thiago Motta, Casillas?, De Sciglio, the dutch National team except Robben....:p
    I'd name premier league ones but it'd only cause an argument

Ditto Mata, he is not in his natural position at Utd but has worked around that and he links up a lot in final third. At his last season at Chelski he was either out of the team fue to Jose tactics or out of form due to confidence. He is starting to look like he's very settled at United. (In my opinion!)
    Mata may be playing pretty well for United now, but he's still nowhere near his highs of 2011-13.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

He is starting to look like he's very settled at United. (In my opinion!)

Hopefully not for long. ;)

What's the craic with Courtois this season has he just been injured or is his form gone to dirt as well?

Bar a few here and theres Ramsey has never hit the form he showed for a couple of seasons. Ditto Walcott .
    Andros Townsend, Kieran Gibbs and Rob Green another few who have hit the decline arc.

Jesus Navas looks like is on work experience, Ivanovich thinks he is a winger, not a right back, after all those assists and goals a season or two back and most of Chelsea' concessions come down the opponents left wing.

Ander Herrera another one. Just looks like he is going through the motions a lot of the time. Carrick was (unnoticeably) superb for United for a few seasons but age has caught up with him, like Schweinsteiger.

Seb Larsson and Jack Rodwell are gone downhill

Rickie Lambert is a sad sight and Callum McManaman doesn't seem like he is going to fulfill the promise he showed at vWigan

Mata may be playing pretty well for United now, but he's still nowhere near his highs of 2011-13.

Of course. He was a central point of Chelsea back then. Anyway thread is about "last season or two". Matas last outstanding season was 12/13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Zabaleta has had a huge dip this year. He was the best rb in the league the past few seasons. He had a few injuries this year but sagna is regularly picked ahead of him when fit.

Korat wrote: »
    Hopefully not for long. ;)

What's the craic with Courtois this season has he just been injured or is his form gone to dirt as well?

Well if Jose is coming it is very probable doubt Mata will be on his way but I want him to stay. A very intelligent and creative player and with the sort of runs Rashford makes Mata is the exact type of player you want.

It could be a good thing for United to be out of CL next season, two seasons out of the last three may be enough to really hit home to the higher powers that be how the transfer strategy is not working at all and its not as if they will suffer financially too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

How on earth can you mention dip in form and Thiago Motta :confused:, clearly dont watch football.
    For me Wazza was dreadful at the start of season but picked it up goal wise anyways(his general play was still poor for a player of his ability)
    Eden Hazard for me would be a player whos form has dramatically dropped even if he still looks the most dangerous player for Chelsea
    Costa form isnt even close to being one of the most dramatic drops

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Clear winner has to be Eden Hazard. From PFA player of the year to 0 goals this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oscar, Hazard, Fabregas, Yaya Toure, Falcao

Sanchez has had a pretty poor 2015/16 but too soon to call it a crisis.

Benteke obviously!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ivanovic

Ivanovic
    I think he's not been great for more than just this season, not sure why the pundits rated him so much. His positioning has always been suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Bar a few here and theres Ramsey has never hit the form he showed for a couple of seasons. Ditto Walcott .
    Andros Townsend, Kieran Gibbs and Rob Green another few who have hit the decline arc.

Jesus Navas looks like is on work experience, Ivanovich thinks he is a winger, not a right back, after all those assists and goals a season or two back and most of Chelsea' concessions come down the opponents left wing.

Ander Herrera another one. Just looks like he is going through the motions a lot of the time. Carrick was (unnoticeably) superb for United for a few seasons but age has caught up with him, like Schweinsteiger.

Seb Larsson and Jack Rodwell are gone downhill

Rickie Lambert is a sad sight and Callum McManaman doesn't seem like he is going to fulfill the promise he showed at vWigan

Andros Townsend has been excellent since signing for Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lovren, Lallana, Shaw, Lambert, Sturridge, Falcao, Mandzukic and Jackson Martinez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

courtois, value must have halved this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

What about Seamus Coleman? Although he seems to be getting unlucky with injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

eagle eye wrote: »
    Lovren, Lallana, Shaw, Lambert, Sturridge, Falcao, Mandzukic and Jackson Martinez.

Arguably United's best player and left back in the league at that stage of the season before he broke his leg. Unavailable to play due to breaking a leg is a dip in form? Baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Irish94 wrote: »
    Arguably United's best player and left back in the league at that stage of the season before he broke his leg. Unavailable to play due to breaking a leg is a dip in form? Baffling.

He wasn't fit enough and couldn't hold down his place last season under Van Gaal. He played a couple of games and broke his leg so he didn't prove anything in that short space of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mata may be playing pretty well for United now,

He really isn't.

eagle eye wrote: »
    He wasn't fit enough and couldn't hold down his place last season under Van Gaal. He played a couple of games and broke his leg so he didn't prove anything in that short space of time.

ah stop! Shaw was looking in unbelievable shape before that injury, Uniteds best player by a distance. Only reason he wasnt getting a regular run the previous season was due to Van Gaal picking Blind ahead of him which was understandable due to their relationship.

Yes, Shaw was a little disappointing when he did get the chance but by no means should be on a forum of "biggest dip in form"
    He was settling into a new club, a club which was completely destabalised after being part of a solid system at Southampton so, like all of Uniteds transfers over last few years (bar Martial and Darmian for about three games!) he was always going to not just slot in straight away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement