Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop charged for items I never asked for!

Options
  • 18-04-2016 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I won’t mention the store (just yet). My father was due a mobile phone upgrade on his account. He doesn't need an upgrade and so he was giving it to my mother. He got her to pick one out she liked and he would purchase when he was in a store. So my father went into the store with my mothers description of the phone and most importantly (for this post) the price: €149 on his price plan.

So the salesman quickly and confidently put through the order and that was it. Simple transaction. Until my father got home and handed the bag to my mother. Firstly when she opened the bag, she discovered a phone case and extra charger. My father said he didn’t know anything about it. So they presumed it must have come as extra. Then when she looked at the phone she instantly knew it was not the one she asked for. My dad insisted that he had given all the right details. My mother looked at the receipt and seen that the phone was €99.99 the charger was €20 and the case was €29.90 bringing the total up to €149.90.

My father returned to shop to be told that he cannot returned an open boxed phone as “I can’t sell that on again” and my father challenged him saying that he sold the wrong phone, the agent objected saying I gave what you asked for. When my father showed him the receipt and said that he obviously didn’t give him what he asked for the agent quickly changed his tune and said that he would swap it as soon as the phone came back in stock.

As you can see this has been shocking behavior by the sales agent and I immediately raised a complaint with the network. However they are not dealing with it in a professional manner, for example they have twice promised a call back and never delivered. It has been over a week now and so I want to take this further. Can someone explain to me who I should raise this complaint with and is there a particular law that prevents a shop from selling you items you have never requested?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Hi,

I won’t mention the store (just yet). My father was due a mobile phone upgrade on his account. He doesn't need an upgrade and so he was giving it to my mother. He got her to pick one out she liked and he would purchase when he was in a store. So my father went into the store with my mothers description of the phone and most importantly (for this post) the price: €149 on his price plan.

So the salesman quickly and confidently put through the order and that was it. Simple transaction. Until my father got home and handed the bag to my mother. Firstly when she opened the bag, she discovered a phone case and extra charger. My father said he didn’t know anything about it. So they presumed it must have come as extra. Then when she looked at the phone she instantly knew it was not the one she asked for. My dad insisted that he had given all the right details. My mother looked at the receipt and seen that the phone was €99.99 the charger was €20 and the case was €29.90 bringing the total up to €149.90.

My father returned to shop to be told that he cannot returned an open boxed phone as “I can’t sell that on again” and my father challenged him saying that he sold the wrong phone, the agent objected saying I gave what you asked for. When my father showed him the receipt and said that he obviously didn’t give him what he asked for the agent quickly changed his tune and said that he would swap it as soon as the phone came back in stock.

As you can see this has been shocking behavior by the sales agent and I immediately raised a complaint with the network. However they are not dealing with it in a professional manner, for example they have twice promised a call back and never delivered. It has been over a week now and so I want to take this further. Can someone explain to me who I should raise this complaint with and is there a particular law that prevents a shop from selling you items you have never requested?

There is a Vodafone and 3 forum here on Boards, this sounds like something the primary really try to push, and the reason I left their network after a decade....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

The shop made an error and are now fixing the error, what more are you looking for? I presume the agent apologised but when he realised his error he told your dad he'd change it. Problem solved?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Was it a warehouse that sells phones for cars I wonder! I knew a guy who worked there and the markup on non branded chargers and cases was phenomenal - way more than they make on the handset or contract.

I would be pushing for a refund now rather than waiting for the right one to come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

duffman13 wrote: »
    The shop made an error and are now fixing the error, what more are you looking for? I presume the agent apologised but when he realised his error he told your dad he'd change it. Problem solved?

Did you actually read the chain of events?
    • Dad gave description of phone and price of €149 for phone.
    • Agent took €99 and added two accessories to bring cost up to €149
    • Never said to my Dad that he was adding the accessories.

Its more than a simple mistake mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

What phone did he ask for and what phone did he get. When you say he described the phone, I assume he asked for it by make and model. Did he not check before he left the shop? Why did he open the box at home when he realised he had the wrong phone?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

duffman13 wrote: »

The shop didn't make an error. The sales assistant knew exactly what he was doing, I'm sure he gets something for every extra he squeezes into a sale. The fact that he even went so far as to blame the father for making a mistake just shows he knows he is completely in the wrong and was caught out.

I would be going back to the store and getting a refund immediately. I have a feeling the phone your mother wanted will never come back into stock. And once you go over 7 days they will not give a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If goods / services are not as requested, then you can return for a replacement, refund or repair. This sounds like what the shop is doing. So in that sense, the issue is resolved.

The only way to take this further is to complain to the Network and/or store operator. Write a formal letter of complaint and send it via registered post to the Store Manager and Network HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

dudara wrote: »
    If goods / services are not as requested, then you can return for a replacement, refund or repair. This sounds like what the shop is doing. So in that sense, the issue is resolved.

The only way to take this further is to complain to the Network and/or store operator. Write a formal letter of complaint and send it via registered post to the Store Manager and Network HQ.

Seems a lot of unnecessary trouble though. Especially as the sales person was definitely trying to pull a fast one on an elderly person. Is that shop policy?

dudara wrote: »

And what if my father had walked out of the store without challenging the sales agent when he said it cannot be returned?

Are you actually saying that a sales agent can make unauthorized sales of goods not requested and be protected by consumer law?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I think this is a case of fraud and if paid by card could be charged back if there were any problems

• Advertisement

Seems a lot of unnecessary trouble though. Especially as the sales person was definitely trying to pull a fast one on an elderly person. Is that shop policy?

Definitely? How do you know that? How do you know he was elderly?

xabi wrote: »

Asking for 1 item and receiving 3 bringing up the total price to the cost of the out of stock item and putting the out of stock item on the receipt. There was no mistake here, this was very much deliberate by the sales assistant

colly10 wrote: »
    Asking for 1 item and receiving 3 bringing up the total price to the cost of the out of stock item and putting the out of stock item on the receipt. There was no mistake here, this was very much deliberate by the sales assistant

Where does he say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

So the phone is definitely not the one he asked for? It's a bit of a coincidence the total of the three products he actually came away with totalled the exact price he was expecting to pay.

I think I'd be enquiring about a charge back too.

And I wouldn't accept the item I had been sold as it isn't what I had asked for.

Do you think they'd try this on a young phone savvy person? Not a chance.
    Elderly people don't understand a lot about techy gadgets and the sales people know this. No mistakes at all in this transaction imo.

Elderly people don't understand a lot about techy gadgets and the sales people know this. No mistakes at all in this transaction imo.

How do you know he was elderly?

The op doesnt say the age so this parent might only be in their 40s..... not elderly!

Last time I checked I wasn't anyway.. :-)

But I agree the sales assistant knew exactly what he/she was doing here.

How do you know he was elderly?

I have a nose for it. Perhaps the OP will let us know for sure but i'd definitely bet on it. Pulling a fast one with the 3 items also leads me to be sure. He/she wouldn't do that with someone young who understood phones.

To me it looks more like a communications problem between OP's Father and the sales assistant, a small portion of blame must go to the father for not checking what he was given before leaving the shop and then opening the box at home. Anyway, don't see the issue as the shop are rectifying the mistake.

Where does he say that?

3rd paragraph in the first post, receipt was used to prove he didn't get what he asked for and sales assistant changed his tune as soon as he seen it

• Advertisement

colly10 wrote: »
    3rd paragraph in the first post, receipt was used to prove he didn't get what he asked for and sales assistant changed his tune as soon as he seen it

The phone for 99 was on the receipt, not the phone for 149 that he asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I would certainly speak to a manager and insist for the sake of the confusion. However it sounds a bit far fetched that the sales rep tried to scam your father and gave him a receipt proving that...surely it was a mistake

I have a nose for it. Perhaps the OP will let us know for sure but i'd definitely bet on it. Pulling a fast one with the 3 items also leads me to be sure. He/she wouldn't do that with someone young who understood phones.

Mid fifties.

Mid fifties.

Is the phone on the receipt the one he requested and wanted to buy?

But didnt receive that one...I'm still confused about that point.

To me it looks more like a communications problem between OP's Father and the sales assistant, a small portion of blame must go to the father for not checking what he was given before leaving the shop and then opening the box at home. Anyway, don't see the issue as the shop are rectifying the mistake.

Xabi, hypothetical scenario: Imagine your girlfriend asked me you pick up a dress she wanted in River Island. You go into the store and describe the item and price as explained by your GF. The salesperson says she knows what you’re looking for. Charges you the amount your girlfriend told you and off you go.

You get home and your girlfriend discovers it’s the wrong dress. Not only that but the salesperson has added in a handbag and a pair of ear rings.

Now tell me. Do you think this is a communication issue? Do you honestly believe you should really take some blame for not checking the dress and receipt? Can you truly call this a mistake on the part of the salesperson?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

straight back to the shop
    ask for manager
    ask for names of all people involved
    plonk good on counter
    explain situation
    demand full refund
    demand that the monthly contract will not change from what it was originally... as in no price hike per month for a phone you never got.

if this is all agreed and accepted, walk out happy.... but double check with your provider that there is no new phone on the account and no bill change.

if this is not agreed, have a letter written explaining situation and that you are returning the goods, fill in the names of shop personal and get them to sign it and leave them with one copy and take another copy yourself and dispute with your card company

do not take the goods out of the shop again.

Xabi, hypothetical scenario: Imagine your girlfriend asked me you pick up a dress she wanted in River Island. You go into the store and describe the item and price as explained by your GF. The salesperson says she knows what you’re looking for. Charges you the amount your girlfriend told you and off you go.

You get home and your girlfriend discovers it’s the wrong dress. Not only that but the salesperson has added in a handbag and a pair of ear rings.

Now tell me. Do you think this is a communication issue? Do you honestly believe you should really take some blame for not checking the dress and receipt? Can you truly call this a mistake on the part of the salesperson?

Did he ask for the phone by make and model or just describe the phone? If its the later, then that's where the issue is.

Call me Al wrote: »
    Is the phone on the receipt the one he requested and wanted to buy?

But didnt receive that one...I'm still confused about that point.

No. Different phone. Cheaper model. Older model.

No. Different phone. Cheaper model. Older model.

What are the phone models in question Androl?

• Advertisement

Did he ask for the phone by make and model or just describe the phone?

He said it was a galaxy s6. He said there was a word after it but he couldnt remember. He described the colour and the shiny finish and round edges. He said the exact price on the price plan he was on.

Only one possible phone could have been sold with those details and it wasnt the correct one.

Again let me remind you. He sold him a phone 1/3 of the price then added accessories without my fathers knowledge or permission to bring the price up to the €149.

Seriously Xabi how can you defend this behavior?

Advertisement