Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming pool changing rooms

Options
  • 18-04-2016 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

This could have been discussed before but after a quick search I don't see anything.
    A dad goes to a swimming pool with a 4 years old daughter (dad is not going to swim) and there is no family changing room. Do they go male or female changing room?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Male I'd say and into cubicle if possible. I thought most modern swimming pools had family rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Male in my case. There is a disabled changing /baby changing room in the mens section of our local pool, so we can use that if there isn't a quiet corner free.
    Usually we have the girls changed into the costumes at home and ready to go, so only need to change once.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Has to be male. Have done it many, many times, and only once did my daughter mortify me by loudly declaring "I can see that man's willy!" before dissolving into laughter. Good practice, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, male definitely.

Your other option is to dress her in her gear with a tracksuit over it and then you can just pop the tracksuit off and she jumps in the pool. Afterwards, towel her off and put the tracksuit back on till you get home, stick the heat on in the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

She's the one getting changed, I would absolutely bring her to the female changing rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dub_skav wrote: »
    She's the one getting changed, I would absolutely bring her to the female changing rooms.

So you think that it is acceptable for an adult make to go into the female changing room? Bearing in mind that there are other young girls and quite possible adult females getting changed too?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,255 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

dub_skav wrote:

It's a choice between a small girl in the men's changing room or a man in the women's changing room. It's a bit of a nightmare but I'd probably side with bringing the girl to the men's.

On a side note, men tend to walk around in the nip in there changing room. I work on the principal that 'you don't be looking at me and i won't be looking at you'. I wear glasses so I can't really see anything when I'm getting changed. I just tend to zone out and do my own thing. I haven't thought how it would change my behaviour if there was a small child there.

It's a good question OP.

ted1 wrote: »
    So you think that it is acceptable for an adult make to go into the female changing room? Bearing in mind that there are other young girls and quite possible adult females getting changed too?

Yes, I do.
    If the pool have provided no facilities for families, why should the young girl be changed in the male changing room?

I don't think the adult male would even be let inside the door of the female changing room!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,255 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

dub_skav wrote:
    Yes, I do. If the pool have provided no facilities for families, why should the young girl be changed in the male changing room?

Of someone has to be out of place, it should probably be the small child rather than the adult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,558 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What?

A man can't just walk into the female changing room because he has his daughter with him.

I used to bring my daughters into male changing room. Find a cubicle if possible and if not then a corner and stand in front of them while they quickly changed. Once home they could bath or shower there.

Of someone has to be out of place, it should probably be the small child rather than the adult.

If the man was also getting changed I could see your point, but in the OP it was stated that the man would not be swimming.

I really don't see the problem. I am aware there would be tutting and "won't somebody think of the children", but I don't see the actual problem.

In I would assume the vast majority (if not all these days) cases there are cubicles, so everybody has their privacy.

I would add that I always bring my daughter into the ladies toilets, she is the one going to the toilet, not me. I know it is a slightly different scenario, but just for context to show that I am not just on a wind up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Yes, I do.
    If the pool have provided no facilities for families, why should the young girl be changed in the male changing room?

I do not agree at all. I go swimming everyday and there are often mother's/women in the female changing room with young children, girls and boys. No problem. The same is true of the male changing room from what I hear. Under no circumstances should an adult of either sex be in the opposite adult changing room. Women walk around in the nip too, during adult sessions. I do it myself.

I have no issue with young children being in the changing room (although we do have a family room and I would prefer if they went there, but hey ho).

I would add that I always bring my daughter into the ladies toilets, she is the one going to the toilet, not me. I know it is a slightly different scenario, but just for context to show that I am not just on a wind up

And would you - if necessary - stand in a queue in the ladies' toilets waiting to bring your daughter into a cubicle?

In I would assume the vast majority (if not all these days) cases there are cubicles, so everybody has their privacy.

Difficult enough to manage 1 child in a cubicle with a parent - many parents might have 2 or more children going swimming!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

It's not appropriate for an adult male to be in a female change room. If it was communal. No bother. Everyone is aware of the situation. Otherwise bring the girl to the male. No one will take any heed. Including the child

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

In my local one girls are allowed in to the male changing room up to the age of 8.

And would you - if necessary - stand in a queue in the ladies' toilets waiting to bring your daughter into a cubicle?

To be honest I've never had to, but yes I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

At my son's swimming lessons, young girls accompanied by their fathers would attend the male dressing room.

There was a mother with her son in the male dressing room also.

I don't expect it works the other way (father walking into female dressing room with his daughter). That would raise eyebrows and uncomfortable for everyone.

More and more swimming pools are becoming communal.... so the issue doesn't crop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There is an expectation that a female changing room will be female only so highly inappropriate for an adult male to enter. Women would be in various states of undress and it would cause a lot of upset and hassle. Children are a different matter,young boys in the ladies are okay so I'd assume same goes for girls in the men's. I'd imagine any man going into the ladies unannounced would find himself barred pretty quickly.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    There is an expectation that a female changing room will be female only so highly inappropriate for an adult male to enter. Women would be in various states of undress and it would cause a lot of upset and hassle. Children are a different matter,young boys in the ladies are okay so I'd assume same goes for girls in the men's. I'd imagine any man going into the ladies unannounced would find himself barred pretty quickly.

Would that barring apply to the mother in Jimbob1977 son's class who brought her son to the male dressing rooms too?

Genuinely interested if there is a perceived difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

eviltwin wrote: »

Wouldn't men be in a state of undress in the male changing room?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

oh the hangups around nudity, I dont look fetching naked in either the mens or the womens !!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

My husband would bring any daughter we had to the male changing room. We dont have any, we have 2 boys age 6 and 2 and they both change in the ladies when they are with me. I have never seen any different and I have never seen a man come in to help his daughter change. I would be of the opinion if she was young enough to need help changing then she is young enough to be changed where is suitable to whoever is bringing her

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭XrayGolf

Would that barring apply to the mother in Jimbob1977 son's class who brought her son to the male dressing rooms too?

It would depend if there was adult males getting changed at the same time. If so, then the mother should of gone to the female dressing room, but if it was just children & no adults getting changed then I don't see a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If men are getting changed and a woman walks in unannounced then any man feeling uncomfortable should expect action from management.
    Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Wouldn't men be in a state of undress in the male changing room?

Yes but there is a difference between a young child walking in and seeing you naked and an adult of the opposite sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭adr

I am actually quite surprised by majority (so far) opting for a male changing room. So basically you are saying it’s better for a little girl to be surrounded by dangling junk than a dad minding his business , looking at the floor and helping his daughter to get changed being in female changing room? My point is an adult can look away, 4 years old girl cannot.

Next question then. A dad needs to bring his 4 years old daughter to a toilet. Do they go to men’s or women’s toilet? Is it different to changing rooms and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

I find the hang ups here around nudity extraordinary. Since when did seeing someone naked cause harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You can't.

There's absolutely no harm in bringing her to the male dressing room, I do it myself all the time and there's usually plenty of other children, male and female, in there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Such hang ups about nudity still in this country, the father should bring his daughter into the male changing room ... Definitely not acceptable for the male to enter a female changing area.....
    Find a quiet corner have her in her swimming costume before hand and afterwards she can be changed discreetly with the help of a large towel. Its really not a big deal I see dads with their daughters the whole time in my gym and my wife would have no issues changing our lad (6) in the ladies changing area if I was not with her... Just don't make a big deal of it in front of the child.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement