Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Doubt about buying a car in UK

Options
  • 18-04-2016 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hello !

Just a quick question :

I would like to buy a car in UK. I am just wondering how long may I drive an uk in Ireland without paying VTR.

Beside this I have to ask if there is any insurance company that can cover an uk car during the time I am driving it without vtr.

I see many cars from uk in Ireland in the roads without changing vtr, how is that?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You must book an appointment within 7 days of the car arriving, and have the registration completed within 30 days of arrival,
    Insurance companies will cover the car for a limited time to facilitate this.
    You must tax the car in the uk as well for the return trip (if it's being driven)

Do you have an insurance policy already?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lydialaois

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You must book an appointment within 7 days of the car arriving, and have the registration completed within 30 days of arrival,
    You must tax the car in the uk as well for the return trip (if it's being driven)

Thanks for the info. I thought I could have more time the car over here without paying vrt :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

lydialaois wrote: »
    Hello !

Just a quick question :

I would like to buy a car in UK. I am just wondering how long may I drive an uk in Ireland without paying VTR.

Beside this I have to ask if there is any insurance company that can cover an uk car during the time I am driving it without vtr.

I see many cars from uk in Ireland in the roads without changing vtr, how is that?

Thanks

Holidaymakers, or on business, other than that they are breaking the law if resident here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

very rarely see the customs out ?? do the gaurds check it??

I got pulled by the guards, car was only in the country 4 hours at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As said insurance companies will cover the UK reg temporarily until you get Irish plates on it. However afaik if they are not notified of this within 30 days they are obliged to notify Revenue.

And I've passed a few customs checkpoints recently and seen them seize and put a foreign registered car on the back of a flatbed truck in one instance.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

bazz26 wrote: »
    As said insurance companies will cover the UK reg temporarily until you get Irish plates on it. However afaik if they are not notified of this within 30 days they are obliged to notify Revenue.

And I've passed a few customs checkpoints recently and seen them seize and put a foreign registered car on the back of a flatbed truck in one instance.

Revenue could save themselves a lot of travelling and work by just looking at Donedeal on a regular basis. I'm sick to the back teeth of low price cars in the 26 counties that on closer looking are not registered in Ireland, and the VRT has not been paid.
    Even more annoying is that the VRT estimate that some sellers are putting in the ad is way below what the liability for the vehicle will be when it is presented for registration by the unfortunate victim, as the seller has no intention of dealing with the VRT liability.

Even more frustrating is that Donedeal won't do anything to block these scam merchants.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Whatever happened to the challenge on VRT? Somebody from Donegal was pursuing a case. Was there ever any update?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but sure if there was no vrt everyone would be buying cars in the UK

And there would be quite the hole in tax intake which would have to be recouped elsewhere.

The uk is bringing in a registration tax for new cars soon.
    VRT isn't just an Irish thing, loads of other European countries do it, and we are on the thin end if the edge compared to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

The uk is bringing in a registration tax for new cars soon.
    Any details?
    VRT isn't just an Irish thing, loads of other European countries do it, and we are on the thin end if the edge compared to others.

Are you saying that Irish VRT is low comparing to other EU countries?
    Except from Denmark and Netherland, everywhere else registration tax either doesn't exist or is considerable lower than in Ireland.

I don't know much about Denmark, but Netherland is extremely overpopulated country with great public transport, so it's obvious that they don't want to encourage people to use cars.

Ireland is low populated country, with car being a base of existance nearly anywhere outside bigger cities, so having such hige registration tax is IMO completely unjustified.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

grogi wrote: »

Yeah, that's new road tax system, but it's not registration tax.

I know first year high rates might kinda emulate registration tax, but it's still not registration tax.

CiniO wrote: »

I know first year high rates might kinda emulate registration tax, but it's still not registration tax.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

grogi wrote: »
    If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

:D

Heh

So let's take random example.

Car with 210g/km CO2 emissions.

Under new tax system (according to article you linked), it will cost £1200 in a first year, and £140 in any consecutive year.
    So in 10 years time, tax on this car will cost £2460.

Under old tax system, it would cost £640 for the first year, and £290 for the consecutive years. In 10 years period total of £3250...

So we actually have a reduction on road tax. wow... That means I can't see any hidden registration tax.

Take another example.
    CO2 at 150g/km.
    New tax system - £200 in first year, and £140 consecutive years.
    In 10 year period will be £1460.
    Old tax system - £1450
    Nearly no change here.

And yet another example
    Co2 at 110g/km
    New tax system - £140 first year, and £140 following.
    Total over 10 years is £1400.

And over old tax system £0 over 1st year and £20 following years.
    So over 10 years it's £180.

So all we can see here, is just increase in tax rates for low emission cars.

I can't see any hidden registration tax here.

Whatever it is, it'll effect the price of nearly new and thus used cars.

I can't see any hidden registration tax here.

Not every country goes by the same rules: new regulations mean more tax liabilities.

What UK are doing is an effective registration tax with changes to the annual tax. Those regulations will make high emission/performance cars slightly more appealing while incentive for efficient cars disappears. I don't know if rules for company cars change as well with those, so the full effect on the market is hard for me to determine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Revenue could save themselves a lot of travelling and work by just looking at Donedeal on a regular basis. I'm sick to the back teeth of low price cars in the 26 counties that on closer looking are not registered in Ireland, and the VRT has not been paid.

There's nothing wrong with this as long as they have proof these cars have not been on the road since they came into Ireland. I'm sure that's not always the case though...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Not all insurance companies will cover this... ours refused point blank to transfer the insurance as the 2010 Mondeo we bought had no valid NCT. We kinda got backed into a corner and had to cancel the insurance and take out a new policy.
    Check with your insurer will they cover you until the car is registered and NCT'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Which insurers were these? I thought they all offer temporary cover for foreign registered vehicles? Maybe whoever you were speaking to hadn't a clue? I had no trouble with FBD anyway.

• Advertisement

There's nothing wrong with this as long as they have proof these cars have not been on the road since they came into Ireland. I'm sure that's not always the case though...

I think the issue the OP is talking about is that private Irish residents are flipping foreign reg cars here on the likes of donedeal, without VRTing them first which is illegal according to Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think the issue the OP is talking about is that private Irish residents are flipping foreign reg cars here on the likes of donedeal, without VRTing them first which is illegal according to Revenue.

Let Revenue worry about it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

_Brian wrote: »
    Not all insurance companies will cover this... ours refused point blank to transfer the insurance as the 2010 Mondeo we bought had no valid NCT. We kinda got backed into a corner and had to cancel the insurance and take out a new policy.
    Check with your insurer will they cover you until the car is registered and NCT'd.

Was there an mot? They usually accept a valid mot till it vrtd and nctd

Let Revenue worry about it then.

I couldn't really give a monkey's toss whether Revenue worry about it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Which insurers were these? I thought they all offer temporary cover for foreign registered vehicles? Maybe whoever you were speaking to hadn't a clue? I had no trouble with FBD anyway.
    Senna wrote: »
    Was there an mot? They usually accept a valid mot till it vrtd and nctd

Car had a valid MOT

Was through O'Callaghan in Dundalk but I got her to check twice with the underrighter who wouldn't budge, No NCT - No transfer. Cancelled the policy even though we were only 4-5 months in, got a refund but I'd say we lost €100 :mad: , she checked and found one insurer willing to cover but it was €900, we got it covered for about €390 !

Car had been re-reg but we were waiting 2/3 weeks on an NCT.

Was the first time ever transferring the insurance so its not like we were messing round with loads of changes - I know some companies don't like that. Was a standard 140bhp 2L diesel Mondeo so nothing exotic either.

_Brian wrote: »
    Car had a valid MOT

Was through O'Callaghan in Dundalk but I got her to check twice with the underrighter who wouldn't budge, No NCT - No transfer. Cancelled the policy even though we were only 4-5 months in, got a refund but I'd say we lost €100 :mad: , she checked and found one insurer willing to cover but it was €900, we got it covered for about €390 !

Car had been re-reg but we were waiting 2/3 weeks on an NCT.

Was the first time ever transferring the insurance so its not like we were messing round with loads of changes - I know some companies don't like that. Was a standard 140bhp 2L diesel Mondeo so nothing exotic either.

Many of people in insurers customer helplines have no clue so that's where sometimes misinformation might come from.

I remember I once bought the car in the UK, wanted to transfer cover to it. I checked earlier and was told there is no problem with that.
    On the day, when I was ringing to transfer the policy, I gave them details of the car, and they asked if it was registered in my name.
    I said that of course it wasn't as it was UK registered car, so how could it be registered in my name.
    She replied that in that case they can't insure me, as car which I want to insure must be registered in my name.
    I tried explaining, but she was on the point - car not in my name - can't transfer.
    I hanged up, called again, talked to someone else, and they transfered policy no problem. I double checked and informed that car is just bought by me, but not registered in my name, and he said that it's obvious.

Maybe something similar here with NCT.

Advertisement