Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for suggestions for minimising algae growth in a water feature

Options
  • 18-04-2016 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭

Feature is a granite ball with a hole in middle, with water pumped up through it from a reservoir.

The reservoir is c 100 gallons and water has no natural light, however the algae grows on the ball and eventually chokes the pump.

Reservoir is home to frogs for whom I built access from the shrubbery so don't want to use any toxic chemicals as its also used as a bird bath/ bird drinking..

Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

The only thing I have found to be effective is UV treatment combined with filters, or changing the water periodically

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

homer911 wrote: »
    The only thing I have found to be effective is UV treatment combined with filters, or changing the water periodically

Thanks, any suggestions for the UV filters that have a way of knowing that they are working as you can't just look:eek:

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Offgridcoe

Barley straw bale in the reservoir, doesn't have to be a bale some barley straw tied in an old tight or sock normally does the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

If the frogs and birds are in the water it will be getting dirty and the algae is then thriving. I know that isn't a solution but just to let you know maybe why it's happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Actually you might be best asking staff at somewhere that sells fish as they sell water purification products. Adding charcoal is one option anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement