Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify this boat?

• 18-04-2016 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭

Can anyone help to identify the make and model of my dad's boat from these photos? It sits on a pre-1996 Fletcher trailer but isn't a Fletcher boat. It says Fisherman 16 on the side but isn't an Orkney. There are no manufacturer's plates anywhere on the boat. It is very well built and has nice, well-thought finishing touches, so we doubt it was a backyard build. I think it may have come from Wales before the previous owner had it.
    IMG_2354_zpskiy8pvvy.jpg
    IMG_2357_zpstilm1lfc.jpg
    IMG_2355_zpshhs8xmie.jpg
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Could be an orkney strikeliner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

fergal.b wrote: »
    Could be an orkney strikeliner.

Definitely could be Fergal. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Its not a Strikeliner. Near 100% on that. Doesn't look like an Orkney build at all. Looks a little like a Fastliner but I don't think it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Possibly one of the many orkney copies? Although copy is a little unfair but you know what I mean. A low volume run on a mould that was sold on from manufacturer to manufacturer?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I doubt it is an Orkney notice the different clinker effect - the bow of the OP's boat has 9 "planks" and the orkney has 6

It is a lovely looking boat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Two features that are very distinctive are the open anchor locker and the stemhead fitting; the downward angle is very distinctive and I can't find any other open cuddy boats with the same arrangement.

Can you tell us what is written on the boat behind the trailer guide pole.

Can you tell us what is written on the boat behind the trailer guide pole.

its fisherman 16

Possibly one of the many orkney copies? Although copy is a little unfair but you know what I mean. A low volume run on a mould that was sold on from manufacturer to manufacturer?

That's what I would go for. if it was in bigger volume it would be plated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 boat99

I believe the boat is actually a Fletcher, the font the fisherman 16 is written in is very Fletcher as are the 2 stripes under the gunwale.

boat99 wrote: »
    I believe the boat is actually a Fletcher, the font the fisherman 16 is written in is very Fletcher as are the 2 stripes under the gunwale.
    I noticed that too but my dad sent an email with photos to Fletcher and they got back saying it is definitely not their boat.

We definitely discussed that as a possibility. The locker hatch in the bulkhead in my dads boat only takes up about a third of the space (where the 2 ridiculous aftermarket speakers have been fitted), on a "true" Orkney Strikeliner that hatch goes the full width of the bulkhead. That and the lack of plate makes your theory make sense. It's funny that a "copy" can be so good. We find that the finish and quality is excellent and other people have remarked on it too... And the boat is by no means a spring chicken!

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Two features that are very distinctive are the open anchor locker and the stemhead fitting; the downward angle is very distinctive and I can't find any other open cuddy boats with the same arrangement.
    For sure. The anchor locker is even drained with good fittings through the hull down to just above the waterline at the bow. Whoever knocked this boat up knew what they were doing I'm sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

It wouldn't be a Redbay boat by any chance? Their site doesn't have great photos to trawl through so can't say for sure but it looks quite familiar. You could send the pics to them and they might be able to confirm.

http://www.redbayboats.com/contact-us

FanadMan wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a Redbay boat by any chance? Their site doesn't have great photos to trawl through so can't say for sure but it looks quite familiar. You could send the pics to them and they might be able to confirm.

http://www.redbayboats.com/contact-us
    Will do but I would expect a Redbay to be plated. I just knew them for RIBs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Wolfsberg wrote: »
    Will do but I would expect a Redbay to be plated. I just knew them for RIBs.

Used to have a Redbay FastFisher and it had a very similar profile. Only plate on it was hidden by a transom support. Mind you, it had quite a few stick on Redbay decals all over. Think they changed to RIBs (Stormforce) sometime in the mid 90s.

Best of luck in your search :)

Advertisement