Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subletting

Options
  • 18-04-2016 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

U have a query that someone may be able to advise on.

Myself and my OH are going travelling for 9 weeks this summer. It is a trip that we've been planning for two years, and this summer was earmarked due to no concerns about job interviews.

We are living in Dublin, renting from an estate agent. We are very fond of the place, and are really loathe to move out and lose the accommodation. However what this means is we'll be paying our rent for the bones of three months without actually being there.

This is going to be a big financial burden for us. I imagine this has happened to people before, and I was just wondering what have people done, or would do, if they found themselves in a similar situation.

No friends or family are currently looking for short term, no deposit place to stay in Dublin during this time.

Also, there's the estate agent and their role to think of too.

If anyone had any words of wisdom in relation to this I would be very grateful!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Could go great or you could come back to find the people won't move out and for reason best known to themselves they have a fear of toilets and constantly do their business in black sacks which they distribute evenly around the property.

If I was the LL it would be a big fat NOPE, however if you were excellent tenants I might come to some arrangement on a reduced rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If I was the LL it would be a big fat NOPE, however if you were excellent tenants I might come to some arrangement on a reduced rent.

It would be in the LL's interests to have the place tenanted, though. They will likely face higher insurance costs if it's empty, and may also be required to have water / heating etc drained: less likely because it's summertime, but I recall that some insurance companies insist on it year round).

OP, as a first step, talk to your LL about what would be acceptable to them. For all you know, they may have family / friends / other tenants who would like to stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

your lease probably has a term in it about being absent more than 30 days also...

It would be in the LL's interests to have the place tenanted, though. They will likely face higher insurance costs if it's empty, and may also be required to have water / heating etc drained: less likely because it's summertime, but I recall that some insurance companies insist on it year round).

Surely if the tenant is gone on holidays the place would have to still be have to be considered tenanted. Some tenants heading off for a few months and intending on still paying rent may not even tell the LL they are going.

The LL in my place never contacts us unless we contact him about something gone wrong or a housemate moving out, he wouldn't be at all surprised to not hear a word from anyone in the house for 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

OP, as a first step, talk to your LL about what would be acceptable to them. For all you know, they may have family / friends / other tenants who would like to stay there.

Quite right. If it was me (I can't because I only have a one bed place) I'd reduce the rent and AirBnB it and ask the tenants to move their stuff into one room.

You're completely correct though that it's a case of speaking to the LL - I wouldn't expect them to be very forthcoming but you never know. As a tenant you can't have it both ways, you either pay for the place or you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Put everything into a secure locker, and put the place on AirBnB, and pray it's still intact when you come back? Got any mates who'd act as a caretaker for a nice fee?

With the EA's permission, or course. Oh, and check the AirBnB rent nearby; you may not have to do it at a loss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Surely if the tenant is gone on holidays the place would have to still be have to be considered tenanted. Some tenants heading off for a few months and intending on still paying rent may not even tell the LL they are going.

It's still tenanted, that's not the issue.

But if a house is empty for more than 30 days, the insurance company want to know about it. They may increase the premium due to lower security. And in winter they want the water off and tanks and rads drained - maybe some other stuff too, depending on what systems are in the house.

All a PITA, which can be avoided if the LL will play ball.

Advertisement