Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renting with pets

• 18-04-2016 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi

I have a wonderful employee (full time) who is also a student (part time) and who's current landlord is taking back the property so she is looking for a room to rent in Dublin. The issue is that she has two elderly pet ferrets (female so no smell) who are very clean. No one will give her the benefit of the doubt and give her a chance to prove what a great tenant she is. Does anyone know of any room for rent in Dublin that might allow her to rent ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

UCD has a program which matches students with older people, to rent a room in the older persons house... where is she a student? does her college have an accomodation office? I would imagine that there are students out there who will be leaving their accom next month, that she might be able to hook up with - put notices on her college noticeboard - check the online college board etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Can't imagine many older people living near colleges in Dublin would fancy two ferrets in their homes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

ferrets would be kept in cage in renters room I would imagine - I wouldnt have any problem with a ferret... a pet just like any other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

When talking to prospective landlords, I would advise her to emphasise the fact that she has two small pets that stay in their cage when unsupervised and she is willing to pay an additional pet deposit without any hesitation as she is quite sure it won't be needed. No need to mention they are ferrets until asked. When she is asked explain that they are neutered ferrets so don't produce any smell. Are they litter trained at all? I really feel her pain, I couldn't find anywhere in the city I was in the UK for a course and thought I wouldn't be able to go. My dad stepped in and said he would keep my degus for the 9 months and a friend looked after my chinchillas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

That is interesting... I didn't know that neutered ferrets didn't smell!

I've only ever met ferrets owned by people for hunting and I doubt any of those were neutered. They were amazing animals, but pongy doesn't even begin to describe the odour! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭Stigura

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I've only ever met ferrets owned by people for hunting ~ pongy doesn't even begin to describe the odour! :D

" Warm " and " Spicy " may be closer to the words that eluded ye. That's the scent of a well kept and contented, sexually unmutilated ferret ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Choc Chip wrote: »
    That is interesting... I didn't know that neutered ferrets didn't smell!

I've only ever met ferrets owned by people for hunting and I doubt any of those were neutered. They were amazing animals, but pongy doesn't even begin to describe the odour! :D

As far as I know there are three options for ferrets, constantly breed, premature death due to not being bred as they are either pregnant or in heat, the only break they get from being in heat is being pregnant. Option 3 is the permanent solution to problem. Any female ferret that is a pet should absolutely be neutered, no ifs or buts.

When talking to prospective landlords, I would advise her to emphasise the fact that she has two small pets that stay in their cage when unsupervised and she is willing to pay an additional pet deposit without any hesitation as she is quite sure it won't be needed. No need to mention they are ferrets until asked.

Also, tell her to ask her current landlord for a reference concerning the pets, it might help.

Also, if you go to the "Advanced Sharing Search" in Daft you can type in keywords like "animal lover" or "pet friendly" etc. which actually turns up some results in Dublin City :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭Stigura

As far as I know there are three options for ferrets, constantly breed, premature death due to not being bred as they are either pregnant or in heat ...

Vasectomised Hobs have been getting employed for a few decades now.

Always easy to tell a snipper; They're the one with the smug look every Spring :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mozzy

Thanks everyone we'll keep looking

• Advertisement
Advertisement