Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landline charges every time alarm is set and unset?

Options
  • 18-04-2016 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

Hi

I got a monitored alarm installed a little over a year ago - a Risco LightSys2.

I've only just reviewed my itemised phone bills for the first time in a couple of years and noticed a large volume of calls all to the same number for the same duration, over 100 a month.

The times of the calls correspond to every instance that my alarm is activated and deactivated every day.

I know the alarm is connected to the phone line, and maybe this is obvious to everyone and I'm just dumb, but I never thought that the act of turning on or off the alarm would cost me on my phone bill. Is this normal and expected or is something wrong?

I pay for monitoring every month, and now have discovered that using the alarm costs about €150 a year in extra phone charges which I didn't know about, so I may need to reconsider the monitoring.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

Branoic wrote: »
    Hi

I got a monitored alarm installed a little over a year ago - a Risco LightSys2.

I've only just reviewed my itemised phone bills for the first time in a couple of years and noticed a large volume of calls all to the same number for the same duration, over 100 a month.

The times of the calls correspond to every instance that my alarm is activated and deactivated every day.

I know the alarm is connected to the phone line, and maybe this is obvious to everyone and I'm just dumb, but I never thought that the act of turning on or off the alarm would cost me on my phone bill. Is this normal and expected or is something wrong?

I pay for monitoring every month, and now have discovered that using the alarm costs about €150 a year in extra phone charges which I didn't know about, so I may need to reconsider the monitoring.

Whoever installed the alarm has turned on arm/disarm reporting . this is normally turned off . I'd get your installer to check the programming

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The open/close does not need to be reporting. The alarm should be making one test call every day though.
    Might also be an idea to look at your phone tariff and provider. Most cover unlimited national calls now.

Advertisement