Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting Extra Curricular activities

Options
  • 18-04-2016 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Just starting football with my 4 year old and i'm wondering what to say to him to encourage but not to put pressure on him. He's very competitive and I really want him to enjoy the taking part and not to focus on the winning. I've no idea if he has any talent for it and I'm afraid that if he feels everyone if better than him he'll want to walk away from it. Sport was a major part of my life and my husbands life growing up. I don't want him to feel pressure from us etc.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

All we say when they are heading off is try your best and have fun.

Afterwards we ask if they had fun and were their friends there.

We never ask about winning or scores or times.

My daughter competes at national and international events and last thing I say is still "try your best and have fun". If it's their thing they will make themselves competitive on their terms and push themselves, otherwise if they are out having fun, exercising and developing their social skills isn't that just fine too.

Advertisement