Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy second hand touring bikes?

Options
  • 18-04-2016 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all,

I used my bike to work last year to buy a road bike, a Merida Ride 100. I commute on it 5 days a week and love it. I've been researching doing some long distance cycling (over a few months) and I've concluded that the Merida is not suitable(mounting points etc.).

From the reading I've done the Surly Long Haul Trucker and the Trek 520 are very popular touring bikes. I'd love to get one of these or the equivalent of another brand (if you could suggest some that would be great as I don't know much about brands/models).

They seem to be hard to get in Ireland for a decent price. To keep the price down I'd be happy to buy second hand but I'm not sure where to buy? I'd be open to getting bikes from the UK too.

Any suggestions of where to buy bikes, or alternative makes/models would be welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Hi there,

A nice touring bike is always a nice find! There is a vintage Chas Roberts (21.5") for sale on the boards cycling adverts page. If you are interested in vintage steel I have a few frames depending on your size and needs. The only other tip I'd give is search for "audax" as well as touring bikes as this might broaden your search, particularly in the UK.

Good luck with it,

Brendan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I see SPA cycles have a sale of ex demo bikes at the moment which will most likely be tourers, see http://www.spacycles.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

What height are you. A friend has a steel tourer for sale (which I am selling for her), probably an effective 52cm bike.
    Steel framed Fuji Tourer. Triple crankset, cantis, pannier rack, drop handlebars.
    I will put it up on the cycling adverts section later, have to take a picture of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Hi there,

A nice touring bike is always a nice find! There is a vintage Chas Roberts (21.5") for sale on the boards cycling adverts page. If you are interested in vintage steel I have a few frames depending on your size and needs. The only other tip I'd give is search for "audax" as well as touring bikes as this might broaden your search, particularly in the UK.

Good luck with it,

Brendan

Roberts sold

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

• Advertisement

topcat77 wrote: »

Bit overpriced. Asking is €800 is about the same as the new price from SPA, http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s21p3200

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I wouldn't pay the asking but it's on donedeal and is open for offers. I'd offer significantly lower than asking but don't want to put down the figure therefore spoiling someones sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Also, these Ridgebacks are coming from the same hands as Genesis bikes. Quality stuff, just lower-end components.

topcat77 wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay the asking but it's on donedeal and is open for offers. I'd offer significantly lower than asking but don't want to put down the figure therefore spoiling someones sale.

Same, really just pointing out that before buying second hand I'd check out how much the item costs new. Up to the OP to put a value on warranty, fresh drive train and new bike feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I've put one up on the adverts section for a friend.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99468510#post99468510

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭holyhutzpa

Hi,

I am selling a second hand surly LHT frame in 52cm - you could probably build it up with parts? Or I have some parts if you wanted those too (wheels etc) Message me if you are interested!

Advertisement