Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor Fees For Buying House ( Limerick County )

Options
  • 18-04-2016 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is there a rough guideline for what solicitors fees add up to in buying a house?

Got a quote today and wondering if it's reasonable
    Professional Fee €1,100
    VAT @ 23% €253

Subtotal €1353

Outlay
    Stamp Duty €1280
    Registration fee €600
    Searches €67
    Copy Folio €40
    Swearing €30

Subtotal: €2017

Grand Total: €3370

Professional fee and registration fee seem high to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The registration fee is fixed and based on the price of the property, it's €600 for a property between 50k and 200k.

The professional fees look about right although you might get €100 off if you shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

The registration fee is fixed and based on the price of the property, it's €600 for a property between 50k and 200k.

The professional fees look about right although you might get €100 off if you shop around.

Thanks Michael

I will come back to him with €900 for the professional fee, just done a quick search and see a few in Limerick county offering for €750.

I would be happy enough with close to €3000 all in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Don't be pound wise and penny foolish with solicitors. To continue my cliches you get what you pay for - try and get a recommendation if you can.

Also there are no sundries on the above which is unusual, you may find that a cheaper solicitor will have a lower professional fees but then add those on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

thierry14 wrote: »
    Just wondering is there a rough guideline for what solicitors fees add up to in buying a house?

Got a quote today and wondering if it's reasonable

Professional fee and registration fee seem high to me.
    It's such a small part of the cost of buying your house, you should choose a solicitor with a good reputation who will act quickly on your behalf. If you go with the cheap option, the sale could take a lot longer to go through and there could be expensive mistakes made.

We had a solicitor who had little interest in our business and she was next to useless, taking weeks to process simple requests. In the end, we had to change solicitors, she never got paid by us and the contracts were signed within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

thierry14 wrote: »
    Thanks Michael

I will come back to him with €900 for the professional fee, just done a quick search and see a few in Limerick county offering for €750.

I would be happy enough with close to €3000 all in.

solicitor - this is not where you look to save €100. Fees above look about right. I've spent this amount recently with an excellent solicitor who discovered issues with title etc., that other solicitors would gloss over. I've used cheaper solicitors in past - however given the level of detail from this solicitor I would wonder whether issues in past were glossed over.

• Advertisement

solicitor - this is not where you look to save €100. Fees above look about right. I've spent this amount recently with an excellent solicitor who discovered issues with title etc., that other solicitors would gloss over. I've used cheaper solicitors in past - however given the level of detail from this solicitor I would wonder whether issues in past were glossed over.

Having a cheaper quote from a solicitor doesn't necessarily mean they're any less competent or less likely to find the issues with the legal documentation. However, I would heed the advice here that if you have a good recommendation and they happen to be a couple of hundred dearer than the other quotes, they might be worth it for the peace of mind.

Recommendations by PM only.

Advertisement