Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Desktop or One Server with two VMs

Options
  • 18-04-2016 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭

I'm considering getting my Dad his own computer. Long story short I am trying to decide if it would be better to retain my current setup of desktop + server, and add another desktop - or change it to a single server with two VMs. Linus did a video on this exact setup that I am considering.

Currently my setup is as follows:

1 x Personal Desktop
    * Skylake i5 6600k
    * 16GB DDR4 RAM
    * 2 x GTX 970 in SLI
    * EVGA 850W PSU
    * 1 x 120GB SSD
    * 1 x 1TB SSD

1 x Personal NAS / Media Server
    * G1610T Dual Core CPU
    * 16GB DDR3 ECC RAM
    * 3 x 2TB WD Red
    * 1 x 120GB SSD (Cache)
    * unRAID OS 6

I'm considering turning my desktop into a full time server and retiring the microserver entirely. I would move my instance of unRAID over to my desktop and run two Windows VMs and NAS from the same case. This would also continue being a torrent, media and plex server.

The alternative option would be to get a second desktop. Nothing overpowered - He's not a gamer (Yet :) ). Enough to get by on Netflix and comfortable browsing - Possibly 2560x1440. This could potentially mean 3 devices all drawing power at the same time. Compared to moving everything into one case and generally leaving it running 24/7 - I do that with my microserver at the moment.

Thoughts:
    • I'm concerned the CPU may become a bottleneck. I would end up dedicating two cores per VM which seems a little underpowered.
    • I could get a small GPU to dedicate to his desktop. Dedicating an entire GTX 970 seems like a waste when he likely won't be playing any games.
    • He may need to buy a desktop anyway when I move out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Why not get him a mid range laptop if he's not gaming? Are you possibly applying what you want onto his needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Why not get him a mid range laptop if he's not gaming? Are you possibly applying what you want onto his needs?

I don't think I am. I have enough power to run two desktops as is so I was thinking cost-saving concerns. Rather than having one desktop, one server and one laptop - Why not consolidate everything into one machine? I was thinking it made sense, but obviously had some doubts.. hence the reason for posting here.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Well, he is a adult. Which means at some time he will want "adult" time with the machine. I'd get him a laptop. You wouldn't need to lock cores btw. Hyper-visors are very good at that now days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Is he likely to go on holidays or weekend trips, and benefit from a laptop? If yes, then I'd get him one, simply to have that option.

If not, then you could always give him the current server as a machine, and virtualise your current desktop into server/desktop. You could of course virtualise the lot if you wanted as well. Dunno if it's worth the effort though, as you already have two machines there.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Downside to going one hefty box is 24/7 operation at reasonable enough draw. Serephucus & I run NASs that idle ~40W or so allowing 500W+ gaming rigs to be shut down. With Irish energy prices its not insignificant long term.

TBH I'd get your dad a NUC, mount it on the rear of his monitor, wireless KB+Mouse, job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭€>sense

Am I missing something here, if you move to one box will you and your Dad never need a computer at the same time?

iPad/ tablet for him + Netflix on TV with fire stick/chrome cast?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

€>sense wrote: »
    Am I missing something here, if you move to one box will you and your Dad never need a computer at the same time?

iPad/ tablet for him + Netflix on TV with fire stick/chrome cast?

No there would two separate VMs - Meaning two separate instances of Windows. Both would have their own monitor, mouse, keyboard etc. etc.
    ED E wrote: »
    TBH I'd get your dad a NUC, mount it on the rear of his monitor, wireless KB+Mouse, job done.

Definitely an option. Hadn't thought about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Danger781 wrote: »

Thoughts:
    • I'm concerned the CPU may become a bottleneck. I would end up dedicating two cores per VM which seems a little underpowered.
    • I could get a small GPU to dedicate to his desktop. Dedicating an entire GTX 970 seems like a waste when he likely won't be playing any games.

Just on these points, it's not advisable to assign all of your cores to vms, one should be left to keep unraid stable assuming both vms are running at the same time. From what I read SLI isn't supported either according to the makers of unraid.

Advertisement