Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import Permit

Options
  • 18-04-2016 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Guys

Anyone know how long it takes to get an import permit for a pistol. Bought one, licence arrived and the RFD now has to apply for an import permit for the pistol.

Any ideas on how long its taking these days.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 VBull

I think its around 11 days usually.

Shame the DOJ require the pistol to be licensed prior to import even though your RFD is licensed to have and sell them but not import

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

I gave mine to justice on the 4th they opened the email on the 5th and then I heard nothing back after 10 days as it says on the site. Rang them and was told it'll be at least another week before they even look at it due to high volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

Thanks, the RFD put mine in about the same time, about 2 and a half weeks ago.

Guess I just have to wait :)

PSXDupe wrote: »
    Thanks, the RFD put mine in about the same time, about 2 and a half weeks ago.

Guess I just have to wait :)

You get yours today? Mine arrived this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Are ye importing to your RFD or to your home address ?

• Advertisement

RFD is importing for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

VBull wrote: »
    I think its around 11 days usually.

Shame the DOJ require the pistol to be licensed prior to import even though your RFD is licensed to have and sell them but not import

Are the DOJ breaking not adhering to the law by treating pistols different from rifles? A dealer doesn't need to licence rifles before he brings them in.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Are the DOJ breaking not adhering to the law by treating pistols different from rifles? A dealer doesn't need to licence rifles before he brings them in.

Im not that well up on the laws but im sure it would be frowned upon if someone were to take a court cases against them for it but no one wants to be the first to test laws/rules/policy.

Hopefully with two RFD's on the FCP they will bring it up and maybe sort it out as it affects their business.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

BattleCorp wrote: »
    In my opinion and according to at least one court case, yes. As you said the RFD does not need a firearms license to bring in any firearm.
    VBull wrote: »
    Im not that well up on the laws but im sure it would be frowned upon if someone were to take a court cases against them for it but no one wants to be the first to test laws/rules/policy.
    Thought it already was? Think it was the McVeigh case where the Justice said the Minster's decision to not allow for the import of a firearm by an RFD because the firearm was unlikely to be licensed was unlawful as the Minister is not responsible for licensing and cannot say whether such a firearm would be licensed or not.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I wasnt aware of that ruling (if thats the word).

Im not that well up on some aspects of firearms laws but do what i can to learn about what affects me and the firearms i have as its on my shoulders if i make a mistake and get a license that may not be valid like unknowingly getting a unrestricted license on a restricted firearm, it will be me in trouble not the Super who granted it. It seriously annoys me when i hear people licensed saying you cant get x firearm till you 18, 21 or whatever, they should know the basics but sorry for the rant.

Im sure firearms dealers dont want to pull the department of justice up on their policy (possibly unlawful) as its the same department they rely on to renew their license and keep their business open.

Lets hope its something that is addressed in the future as its hurting dealers businesses and limiting choices for shooters, as if 5 shot .22lr pistols isnt bad enough

• Advertisement

This topic has come up a few times and i was told by more than a few people that a dealer cannot import a pistol without the person being licensed. I said each time that this was wrong. The law says an RFD can import guns, its part of their business, and if that were the case then every gun would have to be licensed to the RFD before he could import them. That means each gun a person buys would require the RFD to do a substitution form him to the buyer.

This is another case of the DoJ enacting a policy, which is not the same as law. And if people think the law is exact, and infallible then just look at the recent high court issue regarding suspended sentences and the "Government" scrabbling to create emergency legislation to close of that particular feck up.

My point is the DoJ will always be in a position of authority. Even if you show that what they are doing is wrong they can make you go to court to prove it. They don't pay for that, but you do. Most if not all people give up at this point and this is how a policy, not law, becomes common place.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    This topic has come up a few times and i was told by more than a few people that a dealer cannot import a pistol without the person being licensed. I said each time that this was wrong. The law says an RFD can import guns, its part of their business, and if that were the case then every gun would have to be licensed to the RFD before he could import them. That means each gun a person buys would require the RFD to do a substitution form him to the buyer.

This is another case of the DoJ enacting a policy, which is not the same as law. And if people think the law is exact, and infallible then just look at the recent high court issue regarding suspended sentences and the "Government" scrabbling to create emergency legislation to close of that particular feck up.

My point is the DoJ will always be in a position of authority. Even if you show that what they are doing is wrong they can make you go to court to prove it. They don't pay for that, but you do. Most if not all people give up at this point and this is how a policy, not law, becomes common place.

Is it really the DoJ or is it a system created by the dealers who didnt want to be stuck with pistols they couldnt sell after the buyers discovered they couldnt/wouldnt be licenced? I'm not saying it is but it would have protected them back in the days when they were getting stuck with stock after people weren't getting licences for stuff they had already paid for and ive never actually seen it raised as a parliamentary question or challenged in any official capacity directly blaming the DoJ. Open to being pointed to some previous challenges regarding it

A little form column A and column B.

It doesn't hurt the dealers as they have both payment/license upfront although most dealers, at least recently, seem to want payment upfront regardless of license.

The DoJ must also have a hand in this as some dealer(s) have brought them to court for refusing to issue import permits.

I done this a few years ago. I was issued the license by An Gardaí but refused the import. The dealer asked for 10% deposit and a fee for transport. When i showed him the refusal letter from DoJ, he cancelled the order, and refunded me everything including the shipping fee. Fairly decent i thought.

Nowadays that is unheard of and i understand the dealer must protect himself from having a lot of pistols in stock that he cannot sell. Full payment upfront would cover this regardless of license status. However the DoJ don't want to see a "load" of pistol here whether they are in a dealers or in private hands.

The RFD got the import permit for my Hammerli on Friday so all going well it'll be in my hands with the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Should be intresting as I am importing one now as a private indivdual in the next few weeks or so to see the comparative experiance of us both.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

The RFD got the import permit for my Hammerli on Friday so all going well it'll be in my hands with the next week or so.

Congrats. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

PSXDupe wrote:

Best of luck with it.

My Hammerli according to the RFD will be here in the next few days. I'm waiting since the end of January for it.

Advertisement