Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yelp - accurate?

Options
  • 18-04-2016 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I am visiting from the US this summer and I have been looking to find good restaurants to visit while I am here. In the US yelp is a decent resource, even though based on their business model restaurants can skew the results. However, who can tell when a restaurant is definitely not a good choice.

Looking at Yelp-Dublin it seems there aren't almost any bad restaurants. Is it just that people are less critical, the restaurants are better, or maybe there is a better resource to find honest reviews?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,358 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

www.menupages.ie might be a better site to check.... I don't use it all that often but reviews seem to be reasonably fair on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

Your best bet is to ask the locals where they'd recommend. Review sites are rarely genuinely balanced in my view

• Registered Users Posts: 29,358 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Or ask on here..... can't guarantee you won't get biased opinions, but opinions you'll get aplenty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Mod: I'm moving this thread for you OP as its more appropriate to the Dublin City forum. Hope you enjoy your upcoming trip! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Outside of Foursquare, there isn't a single crowdsourced review site that I trust. That includes Tripadvisor, Yelp, menupages etc. For some reason Foursquare has proved the most honest for me. Probably because people and venues aren't trying game it.

Perhaps try to find a few good Dublin based blogs for ideas. Also read the food critics in the major newspapers to see what's hot at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

+1 for Menupages

That would always be my first port of call for a Dublin restaurant I wasn't familiar with.
    And I have seen some brutally honest reviews up there in my time.

Some Boards threads from last year or so that might be helpful...

Best Eats in Dublin:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93530970

Early Bird Offers near Stephens Green (Central Dublin 2):
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92527624

Lunch Restaurants near Stephens Green:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95938334

Restaurants for a Special Saturday Night:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93391718

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CalbArred

Totally off topic, but you guys rock. The amount ,quality and speed of feedback I get on this site is incredible. Really helpful.
    If this is a reflection of what it would be to live like in Ireland....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CalbArred wrote: »
    If this is a reflection of what it would be to live like in Ireland....

It's not :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

CalbArred wrote: »
    Looking at Yelp-Dublin it seems there aren't almost any bad restaurants. Is it just that people are less critical, the restaurants are better, or maybe there is a better resource to find honest reviews?

People are less critical I think, if you see a picky detailed review it usually turns out that the author is American. It's not an Irish thing to complain or to demand to have the meal comped, normally it's just "it's crap so remember to never come back here". But then you don't need to tip as much so it's swings and roundabouts.

I find that TripAdvisor tends to have more scathing (and sometimes entertaining) reviews, but for some reason it tends to attract slightly older clientele.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Stheno wrote: »
    It's not :pac:

Stop putting us down....if we want to ,we'll do it ourselves :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I think Zomato is decent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stop putting us down....if we want to ,we'll do it ourselves :)

Look Ireland is a decent place to live for the most part, people are helpful and friendly, but it depends on where you live :)

Now in terms of restaurants and eating out, I've my regular haunts that I love, the staff know me etc and they are great.

Guess it swings in roundabouts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

dudara wrote: »
    Perhaps try to find a few good Dublin based blogs for ideas.
    :D OP, you should definitely read dudara's blog for restaurant recommendations.

Advertisement