Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Hob

Options
  • 18-04-2016 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

Would anyone be able to recommend a decent electrical hob that i could use
    in an apartment, Im not looking for the type you would see camping or as a temporary measure. This would be for fitting into a kitchen counter top with a glass surface but I dont want to have to run a 3 phase cable to it.

Ive looked at induction units - there is a single induction plug in option from Tefal and others but id prefer an standard elec. version that could be plugged into the mains.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Did you look at the ikea ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭dball

i have found one while searcing online, ive also purchased!
    thanks to anyone who read this:

http://www.hifi-tower.ie/Klarstein-VariCook-XL-Dual-Induction-Hob-Hot-Plate-3000W_i11722.htm
    Heres what i bought:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

dball wrote: »
    i have found one while searcing online, ive also purchased!
    thanks to anyone who read this:

http://www.hifi-tower.ie/Klarstein-VariCook-XL-Dual-Induction-Hob-Hot-Plate-3000W_i11722.htm
    Heres what i bought:

I have no idea if that is a good model or not but at 3000 watts it will draw just over 13amps when both hobs are on full so it will need it's own supply rather than plugging it into a normal socket. A cooker switch would also be required within close range of the hob(not sure of the exact distance).

Thamks aido,

I though when the specs were: Power supply: 220-240V, 50/60Hz
    it should be a standard plug that would suffice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It should be OK to plug in. Keep an eye on the plug/socket for signs of overheating over time if both rings are regularly used at full power. Sockets are rated to 13 amps but some are not great quality. 3kw is on the fringe of the socket limit, and on paper, a fraction over.

If you use a double socket, best not running anything from the second one at the same time.

Ideally as Aido said, it's own circuit would be better.

• Advertisement

Thanks Bruthal

Ive asked my electrician and he said - dont quote me on this - " he can up the amps on the socket"

Also from reading your post about using a double socket, and as i have an electrician doing some work for me.
    Should I get an independent socket fitted exclusively for this item beside the existing double socket?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

dball wrote: »
    Thanks Bruthal

Ive asked my electrician and he said - dont quote me on this - " he can up the amps on the socket"

Also from reading your post about using a double socket, and as i have an electrician doing some work for me.
    Should I get an independent socket fitted exclusively for this item beside the existing double socket?

Thanks

Yea an independent circuit is better again, but if there is not much load on the existing circuit, just use that with additional single socket if needed. Double sockets can't take 26 amps even though they are a twin 13 amp outlet.

Thanks for all the advice here guy/gals.

Its appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

In that case would a dedicated 13amp fused switched fused spur with a fixed outleft the best option.

Advertisement