Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

insuring car not in my name

• 18-04-2016 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi
    My car is having big problems and we will need to replace it in the next few weeks.

My husband is financing a newer car for me, he doesn't drive and I am a stay at home mother so I have no income to finance.

He has been approved but it's just occurred to me insuring it may be a problem as it's not registered in my name and he can't insure it as he has no license?

I've only renewed my own insurance last week so I'll be calling to change it to the new car once we get it all sorted ,I'm just nervous they won't want to insure me as I won't be in the log book.
    not ideal timing but the car was fine last week.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

A husband or wife can legally insure a car in either persons name.
    Otherwise, generally the car has to be registered to the insured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

ameee wrote: »
    Hi
    My car is having big problems and we will need to replace it in the next few weeks.

My husband is financing a newer car for me, he doesn't drive and I am a stay at home mother so I have no income to finance.

He has been approved but it's just occurred to me insuring it may be a problem as it's not registered in my name and he can't insure it as he has no license?

I've only renewed my own insurance last week so I'll be calling to change it to the new car once we get it all sorted ,I'm just nervous they won't want to insure me as I won't be in the log book.
    not ideal timing but the car was fine last week.

thanks

My wife has her own policy on a car registered to me.

It was no issue for her to take out the policy - she clarified it with them on the call - but I'd suggest asking the broker/insurer to make a written note of it just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Unusual situation but I can't see any reason why your husband could not insure it. Its an asset, it cost him financially and he would be hurt financially in the event of its loss or as a result of its use involving a third party. The risk calculation would be based on the driver(s), and provided it was declared that the owner was not driving, then I see no issue as it has no bearing on the risk. You can own a car in Ireland without a license so I can't see anything prohibiting you from insuring one.

Granted, its far easier to do as kceire said, but you should ask the insurer anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You'll be fine, both our cars are in my wife's name due to a mistake with the paper work in the garage and I just insure one as if it's my own, but saying it belongs to a spouse on the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

that's great , good to know others have done the same.
    ill make sure the insurance are fully aware of the situation when I call.
    thank you all .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

It's also worth noting that whilst the car finance may be in the OPs spouses name, the registration can be in the OPs name, however as others have mentioned it's irrelevant as you have an insurable interest in the vehicle even if in a spouses name due to being married.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ironclaw wrote: »
    Unusual situation but I can't see any reason why your husband could not insure it. Its an asset, it cost him financially and he would be hurt financially in the event of its loss or as a result of its use involving a third party. The risk calculation would be based on the driver(s), and provided it was declared that the owner was not driving, then I see no issue as it has no bearing on the risk. You can own a car in Ireland without a license so I can't see anything prohibiting you from insuring one.

Granted, its far easier to do as kceire said, but you should ask the insurer anyway.

Husband would have no NCB...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Esel wrote: »
    Husband would have no NCB...

Husband doesn't drive so it wouldn't matter. It also wouldn't factor into the risk or loading calculations as they are not an element of the risk i.e. They don't drive the car. The only factor would be the OP. But as I said, it would be a really convoluted way to insure it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi ameee, Nicola here from the Bank of Ireland Talk to forum.

As other posters have mentioned husband or wife can insure a car in either person’s name. So once the owner of the car is your spouse you can go ahead and insure the car.

We’ve an offer at the moment where you can get up to 25% off your car insurance quote; you can get more info or an online quote here.

If you’ve any questions feel free to drop by our Talk to Forum.

Thanks
    Nicola

Advertisement