Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N52 - Cloghan to Billistown [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭roadmaster

cargo wrote: »
    Is there a Hugh level plan for a Phase 2 or is that just your own suggestion?

I just Looked at the TII website to my shock there is no mention. Last year I was certain WCC/TII held a route selection which went with a greenfield route going behind Turin church. I do deal with farmers in that area and they have told me the NRDO in mullingar have talked to them about land takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

roadmaster wrote: »
    I just Looked at the TII website to my shock there is no mention. Last year I was certain WCC/TII held a route selection which went with a greenfield route going behind Turin church. I do deal with farmers in that area and they have told me the NRDO in mullingar have talked to them about land takes.

It'd be great if they tipped away at the road it by bit.

Monaghan CoCo are doing a great job improving the N2 between Monaghan town and Emyvale. One one more bit to be done.

Also the N53 outside Dundalk has come a long way with a few small schemes

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

These realignments aren't mentioned on the TII site as they are primarily Council managed due to their small size.

Phase II will likey progress in 2019 or so.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It would be great to have a Delvin bypass with a decent junction (like a roundabout) linking the N51 and N52. The current junction in the village is very easy to miss and shoot past.

I know this is probably a long way off but on my roads wish list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It would be great to have a Delvin bypass with a decent junction (like a roundabout) linking the N51 and N52. The current junction in the village is very easy to miss and shoot past.

I know this is probably a long way off but on my roads wish list.

Delvin doesn't bother me too much. Traffic generally flows ok through it. I'd be happy with the bad bends either side been taken out of it.

When the road is straight and the traffic approaches these bottlenecks at a faster speed then we can start whinging about these villages towns :)

yeah the traffic in general flows well through the village despite the fact that local bye laws allow drivers park there tractors, cars and garda vans anyway they feel like even if that means blocking HGV'S and other traffic. If things ever got really bad at The N51/N52 junction you could always CPO and demolish the Greyhound bar and put a roundabout in to increase flow but i would say you would be met with pitchforks for even thinking that!

Drove by on Friday , I didn't take any photos as nothing has really changed. A few batters have being pulled and some side roads brought to 804 level along with poles for signs erected. I am not sure the real reason for the go slow but I would have taught the contractor would want to be off site for Christmas .

Good news I stayed in tullamore last night and on my way home to my surprise this road has being opened under a 50kph. The contractor is working today probably because they are from Tyrone they are working U.K. Holidays . I'd say they will still be there at Christmas to fully finish. But it's a great bit of road delivered as you now avoid some of them bad sections of the N52

A few pictures from this recently opened stretch of vital road

• Advertisement

An two more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Great Pictures - well done roadmaster!

Now, I have two objections to the layout at Cloghan Junction:

1. No left turning deceleration lanes - this IMO is dangerous;

2. No footpath - though there appears to be plenty of room and justification for one.

Middle Man wrote: »
    Great Pictures - well done roadmaster!

Now, I have two objections to the layout at Cloghan Junction:

1. No left turning deceleration lanes - this IMO is dangerous;

2. No footpath - though there appears to be plenty of room and justification for one.

Yeah I agree cars will be doing 100 plus heading in to Mullingar and it's a very busy cross road.i believe there was already a tip there.

The bigger issue is how WCC let the road open without safety barriers as there some big drops on the route and nothing to stop a car going over. If anything happened at night you would not be seen till daylight

• Registered Users Posts: 20 AshfieldM10

I assume the road was completed before christmas . I drove the road today and
    there is still 50 kph speed signs on the road . I am pretty sure the safety barrier
    is not erected

I assume the road was completed before christmas . I drove the road today and
    there is still 50 kph speed signs on the road . I am pretty sure the safety barrier
    is not erected

yeah it opened before Christmas, its on a bit of a go slow to finish for some reason, mainly just accommodation access roads, Fencing, one or two batters and landscaping still to be done. The fact that TII/WCC have let certain sections of the road open this long with out safety barrier has got me thinking maybe they have being penny pinching and they are not going to erect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Drove this today and found it a great improvemwnt but alais, in typical irish fashion the governmemt have said give them 3/4k and that will do them for another few years.. Instead of saying connect the good road outside Delvin with the good road outside Mullingar.... The bit thats left is the evolution of a horse and cart track from 100s of years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Drove this today and found it a great improvemwnt but alais, in typical irish fashion the governmemt have said give them 3/4k and that will do them for another few years.. Instead of saying connect the good road outside Delvin with the good road outside Mullingar.... The bit thats left is the evolution of a horse and cart track from 100s of years ago...

At least the N52 is getting much needed upgrades even if it is bit by small bit. At least Westmeath coco are doing it to a high standard. The few bits in North tip near Neenah haven’t a hard shoulder which is ridiculous, as is the Kells bypass. Maybe a redesignation to Primary in the future might speed things up.

In one of marnos updates there is a couple a million allocated to Turin to Ballymaghery which will finish off the Delvin to Tyrellspass section of the N52. I would imagine similar to the last section this will be for Site Clearance and fencing and then we will see contract award for main works in 2019

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Westmeath County Council are ploughing ahead with advance works for Phase 2 which will be 6km in length

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=125033&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

marno21 wrote: »
    Westmeath County Council are ploughing ahead with advance works for Phase 2 which will be 6km in length

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=125033&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Great News, this is a very straight forward job with no complex engineering, there is several jobs like this that hopefully get the go ahead . They don't cause much and give great improvement in road safety

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

marno21 wrote: »

Attachment not found.

Map attached (if not listed elsewhere!)

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

nordydan wrote: »
    Attachment not found.

Map attached (if not listed elsewhere!)

Coming up as an "Invalid Attachment specified." :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Altreab wrote: »
    Coming up as an "Invalid Attachment specified." :(

Grand for me. Hopefully 2nd time lucky!

v8xq1a3.png

Hopefully 2019 we will see buckets in the ground for the next section. Does thread title need an update to keep post here about Phase 2 or should a new thread be started ?

http://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/03/06/4153043-cpo-scheme-launched-so-n52-can-be-improved/

Thread title updated to reflect overall scheme - good to see the N52 being upgraded by stealth - 6km is a nice chunk.

Ever since the economy recovered these realignments seem to be getting longer - looking at some ~10km realignments on the N56 and N86 shortly - won't be long doing big stretches then.

It would be great to see the entire length of the N52 from Nenagh to Ardee ( i know technically Dundalk) ungraded. One thing on the upgrades in fairness to Westmeath County council is they have being upgrading from the offaly county border to Delvin over the last 15 years which is brilliant but meath county council haven't done a tap on the section of the N52 (apart from the kells bypass built with the M3) that runs through county meath. Considering they have some of the worse sections of the N52 why have they not done any work. Is it a lack of funds over the last 15/ 20 years or is it because its north of navan and they dont care?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

It would be great to see the entire length of the N52 from Nenagh to Ardee ( i know technically Dundalk) ungraded. One thing on the upgrades in fairness to Westmeath County council is they have being upgrading from the offaly county border to Delvin over the last 15 years which is brilliant but meath county council haven't done a tap on the section of the N52 (apart from the kells bypass built with the M3) that runs through county meath. Considering they have some of the worse sections of the N52 why have they not done any work. Is it a lack of funds over the last 15/ 20 years or is it because its north of navan and they dont care?
    The real problem is that MCC feel that the Regional Roads are their responsibility and roads like the R150, R161 and R154 have seen considerable investment. The National Roads like the N52 are IMO seen as the responsibility of the TII given that it’s of no real significance to Meath - they seem to take a different view regarding the N51 Navan to Slane - it is locally significant. The book stops at the road numbering system - the National Secondary Roads are in no-man’s land where they’re on the TII’s list of lower priority and yet beyond the responsibility of local authorities in terms of significant investment. Many of the strategic NS routes like the N52, N55, N61, N62 and N80 etc. should be reclassified as National Primary Routes - the N52 itself could be renumbered as the N33.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's no "feel" there, the responsibilities are split that way.

• Advertisement

It's being 6 or 7 years since I worked on a road project so my memory is a bit hasy . Can you still start archeological work before the fence line is up or do you have to wait now for the fence line to be erected for insurance reasons?

Advertisement