Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N52 - Cloghan to Billistown [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Went by this project this morning the contractor is ripping through it. Capping is already down in places. If we have a good summer and Autumn along with the works staying the same pace I can see this road being open early spring

Drove by yesterday good progress being made probably an early spring opening now. Does any one know when this is complete does WCC plan to improve the N52 between Delvin and the MCC border?

Passing by this project yesterday it seams to have slowed to a crawl with not much work on the last few weeks. Any reasons for this slow down?

Any updates on this project? It's visible on Google maps and it looks de facto complete.

Litterly they are just tipping away probably October opening the way it's going. They didn't stop work during the lockdown. It seems it's the same carry on as the last phase

• Advertisement

Why are they being so slow?

I'd say lack of funds maybe. They probably loaded there prelims at the start to get as much money early on that could have been used to finish another job. Sort of robbing Peter to pay Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Is this the last upgrade of the n52 for a while?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

steeler j wrote: »
    Is this the last upgrade of the n52 for a while?

Two more schemes in planning/design progress, Ardee bypass and the Tullamore Bypass to the M6 (probably dual carriageway)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

L1011 wrote: »
    Two more schemes in planning/design progress, Ardee bypass and the Tullamore Bypass to the M6 (probably dual carriageway)

It is a very important cross country route it insects a lot of major motorway, hopefully Delvin to Kell's will get some upgrades as well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

3km N52 Grange to Clontail scheme also in planning between Ardee and Kells. In and around the junction with the R162

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

marno21 wrote: »
    3km N52 Grange to Clontail scheme also in planning between Ardee and Kells. In and around the junction with the R152

Do you mean the R162? Hopefully if they realign the N52 through here it’ll have priority crossing the R162 or at least a roundabout junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

3km N52 Grange to Clontail scheme also in planning between Ardee and Kells. In and around the junction with the R152

Can't find that on a map.. do you mean the R162, or am I being thick? :-D

Kells to Ardee is by far the worse section of the N52 North. I was surprised at the time of the M3 they didn't build a new section heading towards mullingar as it's fairly bad section of N52 when you approach The M3

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

My apologies for the confusion. I did indeed mean the R162. The junction where the N52 loses priority appears to be within this scheme but it’s still at early design and planning stages

My apologies for the confusion. I did indeed mean the R162. The junction where the N52 loses priority appears to be within this scheme but it’s still at early design and planning stages

It will be very interesting to see what the design says about the Kingscourt railway line it will cut through. Will a provision for a railway bridge be left in or will it be a greenway pedestrian/cycle route

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

roadmaster wrote: »
    It will be very interesting to see what the design says about the Kingscourt railway line it will cut through. Will a provision for a railway bridge be left in or will it be a greenway pedestrian/cycle route

Well, the physical railway bridge is already missing for some years due to an extreme bridge strike is it not?

Could easily not reappear.

That's true its gone 2 or 3 years now i think. maybe we should rename this forum the N52 Ardee to Nenagh so it include all improvements along the route

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Well, the physical railway bridge is already missing for some years due to an extreme bridge strike is it not?

Could easily not reappear.

Is THAT what happened to it? Makes sense, now.

Is THAT what happened to it? Makes sense, now.

This took a lot of effort to find - Google was useless, boards.ie search eventually got it

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2011/08/03/dramatic-crash-destroys-castletown-railway-bridge-on-busy-county-road/

Digger on a flatbed, driver forgot load went above cab height I'd guess.

Note that the plans to Greenway it were there in 2011 and nothing's happened since.
    roadmaster wrote: »
    That's true its gone 2 or 3 years now i think.

9, shockingly.

• Advertisement

This took a lot of effort to find - Google was useless, boards.ie search eventually got it

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2011/08/03/dramatic-crash-destroys-castletown-railway-bridge-on-busy-county-road/

Note that the plans to Greenway it were there in 2011 and nothing's happened since.

9, shockingly.

Mad to think it was that long ago. That picture looks like a MO of the ATM gangs

I was down south on Thursday and got a few picks of the road. Things are going very slow!

Coming from limerick this evening I noticed a lot of work done. A temporary road on to the old N52 at the southern end of the scheme was being worked on to allow the new tie in works happen. Where the compound is to nearly the northern tie in is surfaced and road marking down. In general there seems to be power of work done they must of got a bit cash. I would say at this rate maybe a mid September opening

Drove this way this morning, The Delvin tie in is being finished with the surfacing nearly complete. The project is within touching distance of being finished now, The Mullingar end has also diversion as the tie is being worked on. I might be down during daylight hours at the end of the week if i am i will get a few photos

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Westmeath Topic had an article on this, excitedly talking about how Mullingar to Delvin now takes 10 minutes without breaking the speed limit.

Says it opened on 9th November with just a short contraflow still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Wow I barely even noticed that work was being done on this. Be good to try the route next time i'm doing Galway/Athlone-Belfast

Another crap national road section sorted. If we could get the N52, N61, N62 and N80 completed like this it would so wonders

Not in this lifetiime

Wow I barely even noticed that work was being done on this. Be good to try the route next time i'm doing Galway/Athlone-Belfast

Another crap national road section sorted. If we could get the N52, N61, N62 and N80 completed like this it would so wonders

Not in this lifetiime

Hard to know, it may happen as WCC over the last 20 years have upgraded the guts of 50 km off the N52 from the Offaly border to Delvin . All of this work except the M6 section is done separate to the TII named works. They have less then 15 km left of the N52 to upgrade in Westmeath between Delvin & the Meath border . Hopefully the finish that out and maybe tackle the N51 aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

9, shockingly.

For an update on this, looks like a pedestrian/cycle steel bridge is planned to go there.
    http://navancycling.ie/greenways/boynevalleytolakelands/

Advertisement