Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's this growing in my garden?

Options
  • 18-04-2016 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all can any body help? This growth had started in my back garden since last summer it seems fungus like with dark brown top and very hairy white underside.

It is spreading quit fast in patches I think I may be spreading it when I now the lawn. It looks awful.

Any ideas? Thanks
    NM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Looks like fungus alright. Maybe some kind of funnel mushroom. Dark cap, white gills?

Assuming you don't want a mystery mushroom farm for a lawn, I'd look at your lawn conditions. Nature often means that the item best suited to the conditions will thrive. So what is making that mushroom thrive, and your grass give up?

Is there enough drainage in your lawn, or is it too dry?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Is there rotting timber in the top soil . I find it here where there is

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Novaman

Thanks for the replies, no I don't think it's fungus as it has very dark coloured leaf like growth with the very hairy white underside.

It could well be drainage after this winters past rain, I don't like using weed killers but I think I have no choice here, I will also look into some lawn treatment as my grass doesn't seem to be doing well

I can't find anything else about it as yet I'd love if some one could recognise it 😄

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Greys0n

i think it's fungus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Novaman

Thanks folks, dog lichen it is

Time to get to work aerating and improving the lawn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Beat me to it. It's dog lichen alright. I believe you treat it the same way you would moss.

Advertisement