Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

learning support question

Options
  • 18-04-2016 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm just wondering what is other people experiences of having their children in learning support in primary school. Basically one day my son came home with a permission slip for learning support-(lets ignore the fact the previous month I was told that he was ticking the usual boxes!).
    Anyway- since I've given permission for him to attend I've been given no information as to how he's doing.
    Is it normal to be so in the dark and excluded in this?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ok, Learning Support teacher here.
    Did a teacher not speak with you before he arrived with the form?
    Is it for maths or English that he attends?
    What were his Drumcondra/SIGMA/MICRA results?
    What class/age?
    How long has he been attending?
    Did you ask for a meeting with the L/S teacher- usually parent teacher meetings are once a year but you should be able to meet with the teacher if you make an appointment.

PM me if you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Another learning support teacher here, I agree with the above post. I'd try and get an appointment with either the class teacher or the learning support teacher. In our school there are specific criteria for needing learning support. The only time a parent would just get a letter in our school without being spoken to first is if the learning support was a continuation from the previous year but it would invite the parent to make an appointment to see us if they wished. We'd obviously meet them around parent teacher meeting time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Hi, thanks for replying. I had a wee pm chat with hook, who basically told me the same thing.. I'll ask to meet with the learning support teacher this's week.

Advertisement