Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Ataxia 2016

Options
  • 18-04-2016 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

This just came up on my facebook feed. Search on google for cycleataxia dot Ie. (sorry, I´m a new member, can´t post links.)

4 routes - 18/06/2016

Spread the word, folks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I've noticed this 110km cycle and it fits in perfectly with my Ring of Kerry distant plan for this week. The website says "This is for experienced cyclists only and is an exceptionally difficult course" . Couple of questions please , I've never ridden at a cycling event before so no idea how I'd get on , obviously I'm not there trying to win but don't want to make a fool of myself either miles behind holding the marshals up etc.
    What standard do these type of events usually attract ? I can't find results for last year but they are expecting 800 riders , generally what kind of average pace would the slower riders be doing ?
    I am waiting on my road bike (bike to work scheme it's ordered should have it soon) currently cycling a heavy old hybrid , do commuting 15k distance times range from 36-42 depending on weather .
    Have done a 60km going over and back over howth hill averaging 24km/HR and a few flat 40km rides averaging 23-27km/HR . I'd expect to be quicker when I get a road bike , but am I fooling myself entering this 110km cycle ? Will I be holding the show up ?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I've noticed this 110km cycle and it fits in perfectly with my Ring of Kerry distant plan for this week. The website says "This is for experienced cyclists only and is an exceptionally difficult course" . Couple of questions please , I've never ridden at a cycling event before so no idea how I'd get on , obviously I'm not there trying to win but don't want to make a fool of myself either miles behind holding the marshals up etc.
    What standard do these type of events usually attract ? I can't find results for last year but they are expecting 800 riders , generally what kind of average pace would the slower riders be doing ?
    I am waiting on my road bike (bike to work scheme it's ordered should have it soon) currently cycling a heavy old hybrid , do commuting 15k distance times range from 36-42 depending on weather .
    Have done a 60km going over and back over howth hill averaging 24km/HR and a few flat 40km rides averaging 23-27km/HR . I'd expect to be quicker when I get a road bike , but am I fooling myself entering this 110km cycle ? Will I be holding the show up ?
    Thanks in advance

I did cycle ataxia last year. Decent spin and will register for this year also.

One thing to note - the organisers have said that no hybrids are allowed on the 100km route.

In terms of speed. Yes, there are cut off points, but if you're averaging 24kph up and down Howth, you should be fine. As its a sportive rather than an organised/club spin, you just cycle alone and tag onto a group that suits your pace. Most groups will be welcoming.

I cycled this last year and covered maybe 50% of it alone. I was slow on climbs! But I averaged 22 over the 100 and was by no means the last one home. There was a steady stream of people arriving back.

The one downside I had last year was the food stop was quite late on - 60km I think - but if you bring food there's nothing stopping you from pulling in to eat and have a rest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Thanks that's encouraging , yes I will have road bike by next week so will be using that , my current bike is in bits gears don't work properly ( always clicking in and out which is annoying if you press hard on peddles) and the tyres are big so expecting I'll be faster on road bike.
    I wasn't anticipating a stop for food that's another added bonus , I'll definitely enter now , looking forward to it.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

It was a fantastic event, extremely well organised and had a great day out on the bike. Many thanks to organisers / volunteers / marshalls for everything, and a big congratulations to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

Anyone doing this on Saturday? I'm thinking of the 110k route.

How would the 110km compare to the Wicklow 100, much of a muchness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

I registered for 110k. Hope to find 30+km/h group to work together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I might do this pending approval of SWMBO...

Weather looks good for it too.

On their website their saying the 110km is extremely tough however would it even be on the same scale as the Wicklow 100?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

golfer555 wrote: »
    Weather looks good for it too.

On their website their saying the 110km is extremely tough however would it even be on the same scale as the Wicklow 100?

A few little lumps in it. I completed it and I'm useless on hills. Nice route.

I'll be there Saturday. Leave pass granted! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mr T. wrote: »
    ......4 routes - 18/06/2016.....
    17/06/2017 ;)

For any of you that can't make it Saturday, there's the McNally Swords CC challenge on Sunday.

http://swordscc.com/two-county-challenge-2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

17/06/2017 ;)

For any of you that can't make it Saturday, there's the McNally Swords CC challenge on Sunday.

I was looking at the swords spin too. Can't decide which one to do and after paying 64euro for the w200 can't really afford both!

strmin wrote: »
    I registered for 110k. Hope to find 30+km/h group to work together.

None of my club mates are doing it so hoping to jump in with a group or two and go at a slightly slower pace and get round in under 4 hours. All depends how much the hills take out of my legs, could go quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Foxmoves

Few rolling hills but nothing really bad, as far as I can remember.

Ended up in a good group last year and we had an enjoyable quick spin... as we were pushing to get back from the ireland euro kick off!

17/06/2017 ;)

I saw that on the CI calendar but the link didn't work so I didn't search further.
    As an aside, I was driving in Skerries last night and the road out to Rush is currently closed for repairs and I see that is on the 150km route (didn't look at the others). Do the organizers know this?

Edit to my last post: the road to Rush is open again.

Get on the suncream for tomorrow it's getting up to 25 degrees. Hopefully we'll be in by the peak temperature!

I'm reading there's a compulsory stop on the 110k route, is that common? Pain in the hole as I need to get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'm reading there's a compulsory stop on the 110k route, is that common? Pain in the hole as I need to get back.

Where did you read that? I doubt there's a compulsory stop considering they have a cut off for mech support.

I didn't see that. Must read the site again. Not heard of this before on any other event..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I didn't see that. Must read the site again. Not heard of this before on any other event..

It's for a good cause, but I don't think they do themselves any favours with how it's described and some of the restrictions they put on it.

The 110km not an exceptionally difficult course for anyone with a bit of cycling done in them to be honest. The rolling roads can be sapping alright, but if you've done a little bit, you'd easily get through that.

That, the food stop and their cut off times suggest they don't really want people to come along nearly.

I'd have done it but I need to be elsewhere at 1 so I'm heading out early

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Weepsie wrote: »
    That, the food stop and their cut off times suggest they don't really want people to come along nearly.

I'd have done it but I need to be elsewhere at 1 so I'm heading out early

That couldn't be further from the truth.

The lad behind it all is a decent skin and would happily chat away to all and anyone.

It's a terrible affliction and the thoughts of your body degenerating in front of your eyes must be frightening.

Well worth the trip and as per the usual not all cyclists are at the same level what is a challenge to some is an average spin to another. Just try not to assume you're better than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Where did you read that? I doubt there's a compulsory stop considering they have a cut off for mech support.

there is a compulsory stop(it's on the Facebook page). I'd say it's so that all riders will have the lead car in front of them, for the complete spin. It might not suit everybody, but I understand the reasoning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I just meant the way they advertise it on the site in describing the cycle. It could be very off putting to people who would otherwise give it a go.

It's a language thing. I know from on here that it's very popular, and recall when it was being started a few years back. As I said, I'd gladly be going along but for previous plans.

Taken from their Facebook page

 The 2 longer routes will be paced at 25kph for the first 25 kilometers, (until Ballyboughal village) at which point the lead car will pull away and cyclists can increase their speed.

 The 110k route will have optional water stops at 35k & 90k and a compulsory food stop at 68k in Senechalstown GAA club. The 50k route will have a compulsory food stop at 25k in Ballyboughal village. All cyclists are asked to stop at the Food Stops and not leave before the Lead Car.

 Out of respect to our course volunteers, the event will finish at 3pm. Any cyclists still on the road at that time will be offered transportation back to the venue. You may decline and finish the course if you wish, however, be advised that you do so without any form of event support and at your own risk. This should only be relevant to cyclists on the 110k route who average a speed of less than 20 km/ph. Thank you for your understanding in this measure.

The first 25k at 25kph is a joke, that will ruin people's enjoyment of the event. With a large scale event like this strong cyclists will bypass the car and go on ahead.

The compulsory stop after only 68k is completely unnecessary, this is not needed. You'll get people unwilling to stop and cycle on. I suppose you can't physically make them stop and get off their bikes.

This event has been very misleading, why didn't they advertise these things in advance. I've a feeling they'll have a lot of pissed off people on their hands tomorrow. Yes - It's for a good cause and that's why I'm taking part (im sure the organiser is a great guy) however I signed up to do a proper cycle not be enforced by these unnecessary rules.

I didn't see the Facebook page as I'm not a big social media fan, I only saw the separate site in the initial link. I'll just be happy to be out on my bike and supporting a good cause. I'm sure it will be a grand day out as the weather looks like being kind for a change

Bike cleaned and checked and carried put on the car.
    Just noticed a lot of play in my rear wheel, looks like new bearings needed then ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Taken from their Facebook page

 The 2 longer routes will be paced at 25kph for the first 25 kilometers, (until Ballyboughal village) at which point the lead car will pull away and cyclists can increase their speed.

 The 110k route will have optional water stops at 35k & 90k and a compulsory food stop at 68k in Senechalstown GAA club. The 50k route will have a compulsory food stop at 25k in Ballyboughal village. All cyclists are asked to stop at the Food Stops and not leave before the Lead Car.

 Out of respect to our course volunteers, the event will finish at 3pm. Any cyclists still on the road at that time will be offered transportation back to the venue. You may decline and finish the course if you wish, however, be advised that you do so without any form of event support and at your own risk. This should only be relevant to cyclists on the 110k route who average a speed of less than 20 km/ph. Thank you for your understanding in this measure.

The first 25k at 25kph is a joke, that will ruin people's enjoyment of the event. With a large scale event like this strong cyclists will bypass the car and go on ahead.

The compulsory stop after only 68k is completely unnecessary, this is not needed. You'll get people unwilling to stop and cycle on. I suppose you can't physically make them stop and get off their bikes.

This event has been very misleading, why didn't they advertise these things in advance. I've a feeling they'll have a lot of pissed off people on their hands tomorrow. Yes - It's for a good cause and that's why I'm taking part (im sure the organiser is a great guy) however I signed up to do a proper cycle not be enforced by these unnecessary rules.

It's a charity cycle not the bloody Giro and BTW even it has controlled bits for safety reasons. The controlled pace gives normal folk who don't usually cycle in a big group a chance to experience it.

So you can only hammer on for 85 KM instead of 100 why don't you take a second spin up to Naul when your done. Sure it would be no bother to you by the sounds. Hit it at 40 KMH plus to make it a challenge then do reps with one leg

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Last year the 25kmph seemed closer to 30. It was 35 for me anyway as I missed the start and played catchup for the first 10km.

I cleaned the bike thoroughly this week, it now makes a lot of noise, feck it. I've tightened everything again tonight so apologies in advance to anyone around me if I haven't fixed it.

You probably could skip the food stop if you really want but I'm sure they time the post-cycle food/massage/welcome around the pace car. Plus something will be said about being "off course" and no longer insured etc. I only average 26kmph normally so it wont affect me.

Hope everyone enjoys it anyway.

• Advertisement

benneca1 wrote: »
    It's a charity cycle not the bloody Giro and BTW even it has controlled bits for safety reasons. The controlled pace gives normal folk who don't usually cycle in a big group a chance to experience it.

So you can only hammer on for 85 KM instead of 100 why don't you take a second spin up to Naul when your done. Sure it would be no bother to you by the sounds. Hit it at 40 KMH plus to make it a challenge then do reps with one leg

Very defensive post, you must be part of the organising committee.

As a paying customer why have the organisers not been clear from the start with nearly a quarter of the whole race controlled with an enforced stop taken a lot of the good out of the day for many. Spoke to another person who signed up on Thursday but isn't doing it now as it's not a proper 110k cycle.

Race directors should be upfront about stuff like this.

Advertisement