Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Ataxia 2016

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

golfer555 wrote: »
    Very defensive post, you must be part of the organising committee.

As a paying customer why have the organisers not been clear from the start with nearly a quarter of the whole race controlled with an enforced stop taken a lot of the good out of the day for many. Spoke to another person who signed up on Thursday but isn't doing it now as it's not a proper 110k cycle.

Race directors should be upfront about stuff like this.

:rolleyes: a race? Really?

I have done this cycle a few times and it's a nice leisurely day out. Perhaps an actual race might be better for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Absolutely nothing to do with me although I will be popping over to do it all right as its a nice day and seems to be a good cause. I stand by my comments its a charity cycle aimed at everybody so controlling the pace for 25 Km shouldn't inconvenience you too much. I guess no one is going to pull you off at the foodstop if you want to plough on.

Wish i'd known about this sooner TBH as it would have suited us to a tee, I knew a few weeks ago but herself has commitments on the morning.

I agree with some though http://swordscc.com/two-county-challenge-2017/ is not nearly specific enough especially for those looking to do 110.

I'm not one for social media either so likely miss out on news of these, are there many events like this run through out the year or where could I check? We're doing the Meath Heritage Cycle Tour in July at 50km :o

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

golfer555 wrote: »
    Very defensive post, you must be part of the organising committee.

As a paying customer why have the organisers not been clear from the start with nearly a quarter of the whole race controlled with an enforced stop taken a lot of the good out of the day for many. Spoke to another person who signed up on Thursday but isn't doing it now as it's not a proper 110k cycle.

Race directors should be upfront about stuff like this.

I couldn't make it but as far as I can see It's a cycle over 110km. How's that not a 'proper cycle'?!

And a 'race director'?! Haha

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's a cracking day out, and even though I think the language on the website is off putting, I can't imagine this cycle is anything but good craic on a day like today.

Only managed 2 hours today and was hoping to criss cross and give a wave somewhere, but think I just missed most between Ashbourne and St. Margarets but was clearly well signed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Just back in the house after this - couldn't stay on as other commitments but have to say it was a great event.
    Marshalling was spot on and the atmosphere was great. Apparently the numbers are well up on last year, so that was good to see.
    The weather made for a good day and I really enjoyed it. Will be back again next year!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/120831

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Smashing day at it. Good numbers and atmosphere again, no shortage of food, temptation got the better of me at the food stop to have a choccie muffin.

Suncream and lots of water was the order of the day. I was pretty much solo for the last 40km and felt it a bit by the end. Phoned for a lift home at the finish, having rested for 10 mins i wish i hadnt.

The lead car was doing at least 30kmph for the controlled start, so hope that suited the faster riders than 25.

I'll be back next year

Edit: When you apply suncream, make sure you do your arms fully until you are under the jersey, don't be like me and stop just above the elbow. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

Firstly, highly enjoyable day for an extremely worthy cause. In that weather how would you not enjoy it.

In regards to my earlier concerns about the late communication we received yesterday...

It was not what I would call a controlled start - at points in the first 25k we were sucking diesel at 40kph and averaged 30kph once we left Ashbourne. This was very much welcomed as the start was flat and we could build up speed nicely. Big groups gradually broke up once we got into the rolling the hills. I spoke so someone who did it last year and the same happened there.

The compulsory stop came at 69k and to be honest I ended up welcoming it as I needed to fill up my water bottle. Loads of food was on offer in the GAA club. Left directly after the support car and was in the first few groups that made it back in. A few people did say they weren't keen on the stop as they got stiff getting back on the bike, besides 110km in one go isn't that much to ask for many.

The 110km course was grand, not too much to worry about really. I found the Wicklow 100 the week before much tougher but the wind could well have played a part there. The course was very well marshalled and hot food back in the clubhouse was great with a fantastic spread put on. Music with some free pints were on offer too but I had to get back home quickly, gutted. All event volunteers were lovely.

I think I've been more than fair throughout my pre and post event posts. It's only fair as a consumer you have the right to call out an event if they provide late/mis-leading communication or use language which may be seen as off putting. I made my point but all in all it was a great event and for the people researching in future I would highly recommend. Oh and the finish line area with music and people clapping was a nice touch.
    I couldn't make it but as far as I can see It's a cycle over 110km. How's that not a 'proper cycle'?!

And a 'race director'?! Haha

Good one, funny, brave too jumping on the bandwagon with a sly dig... The terminology used on the their website was course director rather than race which I used which isn't too far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Great day out yesterday. There was a good turnover I thought. The 110km was challenging (many rags) but the Wicklow 100km was harder. I had to play catch-up after 10km due to a puncture so was a solo ride for me for the remainder of the course. As I had limited time I did not stop and did the whole thing in a bottle of water 750 and few gels. Not ideal but oh well....the puncture really set me back.

Will be back next year. Great event and great cause. :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement