Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage application issue

Options
  • 18-04-2016 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I'm hoping to apply for mortgage in the next year or so.

Is it possible to get a mortgage in my name alone. My wife has an ongoing case with an ex partner and the ulsterbank for the past 3 years. They own a property in negative equity. It is a shell of an apartment.
    There's no way her name can be on the mortgage.
    Herself and her solicitor think it could be about 18-24 months before its sorted. Been going on 4 years in which no money was paid. Or was rented out then the ex sold all contents so literally only a shell.

Im getting conflicting information if I can apply on my own. I am in a position to afford a mortgage on my own.
    Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

It is possible with some banks to have the mortgage in single names. However they will look at both of you and the underwriters will make a decision. Speak to a good broker on how to approach it all. Killers comes highly recommended if you do a search I'm sure you'll find a way to PM the right chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

Why mention her at all?
    Just apply on your name and don't mention partner....
    They do not need to know who is living there.

Why mention her at all?
    Just apply on your name and don't mention partner....
    They do not need to know who is living there.

Fraud is never a great option...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Patww79 wrote: »

If he needs a mortgage the bank will insist on both spouses being listed as his wife will have automatic entitlement to a share in the property.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

Because he has a legal obligation to provide the information requested by the bank lending him a large sum of money. Just because it's a bank doesn't mean it's fine to lie. I see the pre-boom attitudes are back with avengence.

Furthermore a spouse has to be declared for the purposes of the family home protection act.

If he wants to apply in a single name and the bank are willing to go with that after investigating any potential liability he may have, happy days. 'Ah sure what they don't know won't hurt them' is not conducting business in good faith.

Advertisement