Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumbling noise at night

Options
  • 18-04-2016 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed a constant low sort of rumbling/vibration type noise over recent weeks? I only notice it (or it's only happening) in the evening...

I am in KK city.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Probably from fracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Probably from fracking.

Next :)

Check the airport flight times at the time you hear it, it could be a propeller aircraft from a distance. Does it last a few minutes or a few hours ?. Could it be aircraft engine testing as they usually do that at night but have to keep the decibels at a certain rate.

Does it sound anything like the one in the video below ?

Check the airport flight times at the time you hear it, it could be a propeller aircraft from a distance. Does it last a few minutes or a few hours ?. Could it be aircraft engine testing as they usually do that at night but have to keep the decibels at a certain rate.

Does it sound anything like the one in the video below ?

No, it's not aircraft, it last hours...it is a similar type sound to the video you posted but not as loud....lower, deeper too. I can hear it now (11.55am)

Maybe I'm just going la la...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Which side of kilkenny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is there an Aldi or Lidl near you? There deliveries at this time were driving us nuts until we complained, bizarre rumbling sounds every night that we didn't even associate with them for weeks, it was them sliding big trollies around, went on until 2am sometimes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It would help if you described your location. Are there any sources of likely low noise near you. For example I unfortunately live close to an "energy centre" (glorified boiler house) and there is a very big problem from low rumbling generated by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 icv1111

It's from Irish rail cargo trains. Always really loud rumbling at night time.

icv1111 wrote: »
    That would make sense if you're on the south side of town, out towards the old Dublin road.
    It was the same when cargo trains used to be shunted around the sidings at kilkenny station.

I am not far from the Brougemaker on the Comer Rd...nothing I can think of that would be producing that hum...it's not traffic because it's more pronounced when things are quieter late at night...

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

pueblo wrote: »
    I am not far from the Brougemaker on the Comer Rd...nothing I can think of that would be producing that hum...it's not traffic because it's more pronounced when things are quieter late at night...

Somebody running a generator?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

aliens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I'd be echoing icv1111's comment so. I used to live up past O'Loughlin's and you'd hear the trains rumbling away at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 icv1111

ergonomics wrote: »
    I'd be echoing icv1111's comment so. I used to live up past O'Loughlin's and you'd hear the trains rumbling away at night.

bothered me for years before I finally realised what it was. This video shows what I mean. You hear it from miles away

I obviously don't know....but it seems to be too constant to be trains....it's literally going on all the time as far as I can tell...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Send me a PM (I'll get it instantly on my phone) next time you hear it and I'll go outside.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

AFAIK the only work going on at night at the moment is the work on Dean st for the CAS. It's hardly that - too far away. I don't think there's anything going on in the mart site especially at night. Could it be something at the brewery site?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

miece16 wrote: »
    aliens

It's only his stomach making the noise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Sounds like OP has tinnitus to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

bothered me for years before I finally realised what it was. This video shows what I mean. You hear it from miles away

We live about 200m from the train tracks now. The whole house shakes when the cargo trains go through.

• Advertisement

citykat wrote: »
    AFAIK the only work going on at night at the moment is the work on Dean st for the CAS. It's hardly that - too far away. I don't think there's anything going on in the mart site especially at night. Could it be something at the brewery site?
    The Brewery site seems quite as a mouse at night whenever I pass.

Could it be anything in army barracks?
    Night training that involves machinery perhaps.

Edit: just read "the 53rd mechanised infantry company and contingent support group comprises 190 personal, with the core-some 84 troops - coming from Kilkenny". They been prepping for overseas and I wouldn't be surprised if it might be related.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

catbear wrote: »

Edit: just read "the 53rd mechanised infantry company and contingent support group comprises 190 personal, with the core-some 84 troops - coming from Kilkenny". They been prepping for overseas and I wouldn't be surprised if it might be related.

That's a good shout because I have seen army vehicles fairly late in the evening.

Send me a PM (I'll get it instantly on my phone) next time you hear it and I'll go outside.

Thanks will do now.
    Sky King wrote: »
    Sounds like OP has tinnitus to me.

Could very well be that.

Possible

I am hearing it now..........anyone??

I am hearing it now..........anyone??

I'm in Cork

I\ve had too many beers. sorry, hip...* § ~

I'm in Cork

at a time like this??? :)
    I\ve had too many beers. sorry, hip...* § ~

Well that's just careless....I need you to stay alert! :P

It's humming loud now... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I'm out in the country and no noise here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭screamer

Could be tinnitus OP stick your fingers in your ears of you can still hear it it's tinnitus.

• Advertisement

Go outside and record it on a microphone and upload it to here so we can hear this noise.

Advertisement