Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumbling noise at night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

screamer wrote: »
    Could be tinnitus OP stick your fingers in your ears of you can still hear it it's tinnitus.

I'm coming round to the view it may be tinnitus after all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Ok, I think in my inebriated state I somehow managed to snatch a recording of a low level hum emanating from over that side of town.

I've analyzed it and I think there's a message in the noise.
    Sped up the low hum sounds like "vooooooote joooooooooohn mcguuuuuuuuinessssss."

Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Well here's one for you. I was speaking to the mother yesterday and this hum/rumbling noise the OP speaks of is what my mother gets every night she said. She is the only one that can hear it, her husband cannot hear anything.

She says that it is a very low frequency hum noise and it has been annoying her for a few years now. I said to her that the airport is 1 mile away so it has to be that from aircraft engine testing, Dublin airport that is. She told me that she has to wear ear-plugs every night because of it. When she heard it again she asked me to listen but I couldn't hear anything and I have very good hearing, but she said she can hear it clearly and it's like a light vibration as well in her body.

I done a bit of research on this hum noise from the UK as well and it says that some sensitive hearing folk can hear it but many cannot, but scientists/engineers cannot track where it comes from using electronic equipment to track it.

It really seems that the minority of folk can hear this annoying sound and vibration but the majority don't. It would be interesting to track it down if possible in the near future just to see what it is exactly. Either that or the OP and my mother have super exceptional hearing. They could both be Aliens.

Seriously though, some folk just seem to be able to hear and feel frequencies others cannot.

Seriously though, some folk just seem to be able to hear and feel frequencies others cannot.
    I can concur with this phenomena, far off car alarms that are barely audible to my wife can keep me awake yet when she talks about clothes or shoes I suddenly can't hear anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Could the noise be the sound of the generators over at the mart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Speaking of strange noises in Kilkenny, did anyone hear a siren or klaxon yesterday evening? I heard it just before 8pm down near the Castle and it seemed to be coming from the train station/Army barracks direction. Could hear it for about 15 minutes on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

ergonomics wrote: »
    Speaking of strange noises in Kilkenny, did anyone hear a siren or klaxon yesterday evening? I heard it just before 8pm down near the Castle and it seemed to be coming from the train station/Army barracks direction. Could hear it for about 15 minutes on and off.
    Every barracks would have a general alarm siren...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op is there an esb transformer near by or a Telecom's hub?

These all hum away and are quite noisey at night.
    Also gas sub station.

Open is there an esb transformer near by or a Telecom's hub?

Also gas sub station.
    Even the electrical wires on top of poles can hum and buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I can here them sounds in Wicklow.

• Advertisement

Op is there an esb transformer near by or a Telecom's hub?

Also gas sub station.

Not that I'm aware of...

maybe you should get a Drone detector...If they existed of course...Big Brother is watching....and listening...;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

pueblo wrote: »
    Not that I'm aware of...

Actually, if you're where I believe you are, I think there is one near you.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Not that I'm aware of...

Actually, if you're where I believe you are, I think there is one near you.
    I'm not sure if I am where you believe I am but where is the one that is near where I might be? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Go outside and record it on a microphone and upload it to here so we can hear this noise.

Yes, please record the sound.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm not sure if I am where you believe I am but where is the one that is near where I might be? :)

The lane

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Go outside and record it on a microphone and upload it to here so we can hear this noise.

Yes, please record the sound.
    Just tried but it's not being picked up on phone, the sound is more like a vibration.

The lane

Forgot about that......Lovers Lane...:)

Seeing as you say it is a vibration I wonder if it's something like a water treatment facility. I'm going on ancient memory here but I think the Newpark Hotel had some kind of system at its rear at one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

catbear wrote: »
    Seeing as you say it is a vibration I wonder if it's something like a water treatment facility. I'm going on ancient memory here but I think the Newpark Hotel had some kind of system at its rear at one time.

The Newpark Hotel has a large external boiler outside at the rear carpark.
    ESB substation underneath the old railway line at Gas House Lane.
    The large Army Scania Trucks at idle.

All of these could make that low hum.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

There's often a helicopter going at night. I woke up one night and heard this vibrating sound. I went all over the apartment trying to find the source. Eventually I went out and it was the same volume outside. I think I heard somebody had gone into the river. That was about 6-8 weeks ago. I've heard it a few times since. I'm in KK too btw.

• Advertisement

I thought you were a fugitive Pablo?

catbear wrote: »
    I thought you were a fugitive Pablo?

He's a fugitive from life...he's dead :). You thinking of 'El Chapo' maybe...?

Ok, I have come to a definitive answer on the rumbling. I'm nucking futs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Awww come on !!
    Dont just leave it like this ! we' ve been following Rumbles for weeks!
    WHAT IS THE NOISE !!!!!!!! you havta find out ......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I think it may be the new air ambulance. Don't think,it can land in Luke's any more,think it lands in the barracks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Is Star Wars being filmed in Kilkenny?

greenspurs wrote: »
    Awww come on !!
    Dont just leave it like this ! we' ve been following Rumbles for weeks!
    WHAT IS THE NOISE !!!!!!!! you havta find out ......

Your enthusiasm is driving me to resolve this and I have been doing a little digging. The 'hum' is very similar sound to the chant. or the bass note in the video below.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

OK I hear this tonight for the past 20 mins. Did you ever figure out what it is? 'Comer road area too.

Sounds like a low flying plane or similar, a low rumbling noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Could be a poxy alarm. Damn things go off and a little whine remains on.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

This is more like a low rumble. Nearly like a tractor running a PTO in the distance for anyone who'd be familiar with such things :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

PaulKK wrote: »
    OK I hear this tonight for the past 20 mins. Did you ever figure out what it is? 'Comer road area too.

Sounds like a low flying plane or similar, a low rumbling noise.

Could it be grain dryers? It's the time of year for those...

Advertisement