Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sturgill Simpson

• 19-04-2016 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭

I was listening to the new album by this guy today and after about the third or fourth play through, it began to dawn on me: Holey Moley, Sturgill Simpson is the real deal. He's one of the best people out there making music today.

I thought about putting this thread in the Country Forum, which would in many ways be the spiritual home for it, but considering that his new album - A Sailor's Guide to Earth - is musically a mix of many different styles, only one of which is country, I feel like the straight up good 'ol Music forum feels like a right fit.

Ok, anyway, Sturgill; he's amazing. He's making music of a really high quality - great song-writing mixed with instrumentally varied and rich sounds, and making it all add up into emotionally resonant potent stuff. His new album is so good; anything better than it is going to be a shoo-in for my album of the year, if anything actually better than it will come into being this year.

Any other fans out there? There must be a few.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I havent listened to the whole album but I love that song, Brace For Impact.

I bought it on iTunes and then saw it was listed as "Country". Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I havent listened to the whole album but I love that song, Brace For Impact.

I bought it on iTunes and then saw it was listed as "Country". Hmmm.

Yes, Brace for Impact is a great song, but, I linked to it mainly because it's one of the few new songs that's up on Youtube, it's far from the only highlight! The opening song, Welcome Home, is a stunner - when it suddenly shifts from mournful to soulful, I get a bad case of the good shivers down the spine. The final song, Call to Arms, is a real rabble rouser too. Great lyrics throughout the album as well, he gives off a clear vibe of sincerity in his music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Greys0n

i have not heard this song before, Brace For Impact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Gave it a first listen today - cracker of an album - even gives Nirvanas 'In Bloom' a great new lease of life. Apparently he played the whole album live in Rough Records shop in Brooklyn last night - lucky buggers whoever showed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Bump.

Picked up the Grammy for best Country Album last night. The guy has had an amazing year. Crazy watching his level of success just getting bigger and bigger over the last few years. Hope it continues.

Advertisement