Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I return to Ireland from Australia

• 19-04-2016 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello folks,

Been away nearly 6 years now travelling with lots of my time in Australia as well as overseas with work. I am currently in Sydney, age 28 and it's come to a point where I need to make a decision on this.

I love the Aussie lifestyle and Im earning about 30% more than I could hope to back home in Dublin. I will will have my Aussie passport by years end,

Main pull home is my family is there and I worry that if I get into a serious relationship over here and kids etc. come along it may mean long term detachment from them.

Anyone who has done similiar or been in my situation I would appreciate some feedback of living in Dublin etc. after being abroad.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Myself and OH moved back almost 1 year ago after 3 years in Oz.

We found it very hard at the start, adjusting to the weather, paying through the nose for insurance on cars, trying to get jobs was hard enough too with so many people going for them.

Trying to get a mortgage to buy a house was another hassle, even with having a good savings record in Oz, now its another hassle trying to find a house within budget with so many people looking and not enough houses for sale, prices are sky-rocketing.

Yes, it is good to have family close, but kinda wears off after awhile when you want your own independence back, they joys of the great Oz weather - just hopping in the car at the weekends and taking a trip to the beach, not having to bring a brolly or coat with you every time you leave the house.

I would definitely get the passport sorted, then you can come and go as you please, take a trip home to here for a few months and you'll soon realise what your missing, I know I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

As hawkeye_bmr says get the passport sorted first and then you can come and go as you please.

with the passport sorted you could take a few months out and see what the lie of the land is here, could you get a job here easily and then the hard part a place to live, be it rent or buy could be tricky

Lots to ponder so make sure you research it well, pros and cons etc!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

I would so wait until getting your Aussie passport at least you have that then and you can return if needed.

To be honest I would think Ireland today, especially Dublin would be very expensive to come back to. Taken your age I would say stay where you are.. Sounds very sad but there aren't many opportunities for young people in Ireland at the moment. Even for buying houses, unless you have a lot of money saved the houses are rubbish. Rental prices have gone mad.. For the middle class person it just isn't a great lifestyle.

All up for being closer to family and if that is what you really want then go for it, but I would think getting your Aussie passport would be a great thing to get... I travelled for a two years and came back to Ireland with the full intention of moving on again and it never happened just got stuck in a rut, Not saying that would happen to you but be prepared for the culture shock when you come back.. It can be quite saddening at times, so make sure you have people around you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

I came home at Christmas from Australia and I have no regrets at all. Once I made the decision to leave (which was very stressful), everything else fell into place. My family gave me great support in getting back up and running.

I was in a similar position to you in that I was earning a lot more money in Oz. But to be honest that was the only thing that was keeping me there for the last year as I had done all my travelling and was a little over the beach scene. I have adapted accordingly and haven't found the pay cut to be as severe to my lifestyle as what I thought it would be.

Back living in Dublin and I love it. There's fab restaurants and the nightlife is a hundred times better than Oz in my opinion. Irish food is fantastic!!

Also, It's great been back among people where I don't have to pronounce/spell my name constantly. Not having to explain your jokes is quite nice as well :-) And the long evenings are lovely!

Best of luck with your decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Davieboot30

Hi MiniMe123, I'm in the exact same situation as yourself. Well I'm 30 and I live in Perth...but I came out here a couple of years ago when it was the thing to do. In the last 4 years many of my friends have since returned home and I'm coming to the point where I don't want to get into a relationship due to the fact that I may never be with my family again (aspart from holidays home).

When were you thinking of heading home? At least you'll have the option if you get your passport :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MiniMe123

Thanks everyone for the feedback, much appreciated!

I'll stick around to get the passport and weigh things up then. I work as an Civil Engineer so pretty much left to escape the dire work situation there a couple of years ago. I have heard it has improved in Leinster but others say not by that much.

Because I'm still single I've been flexible so never considered having to make a call like this until recently. I can see it becoming an issue though in the near future if I start seeing an Aussie or foreign girl.

Davieboot30 - I am likely going to stick around to get the PP and maybe until the end of the year... Might give Ireland a go next year and see how I go or else if not, look into setting up more long term over here... head wrecking!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SunnySun

Hi MiniMe,

I read your post while I was still in Australia and I'm wondering how you are doing? I was very similar- in Australia for 6 years, 28 years old. I'm back in Ireland for 3 weeks and surprised how much I am happy here- after thinking I'd never want to live back there. It's hard to know if I'm making the wrong decision to go back to Australia and go ahead with PR or not. I'm visiting family and friends, not working yet and it's the "summer" so nice enough weather so it's hard to know if it's just a novelty of being here which makes me feel happy or if going back to Australia is the wrong decision. I know my mother really likes me back in Ireland and it's painful the thought of leaving her again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

Its a fascinating and difficult conundrum, whether to stay or go. I've left, come home, changed careers, multiple times, although never stayed away long enough to gain a passport. Never really got settled in one spot and ended up coming home.

Wishing you all the best. Tough decisions.

Advertisement