Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Fitting

Options
  • 19-04-2016 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I was out for a long cycle last weekend and I've had a bit of pain at the back of my knee behind my kneecap since I came back. From reading online people are saying this could be down to not having the correct saddle height or saddle position...

Im thinking about getting fitted for my bike. Can anyone recommend a shop to get this done in? Any ideas about what price this costs?
    I am based in West Dublin.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Give Aidan Hammond a call. He knows his stuff inside out.

http://www.bikefittingireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Techo

+1 for Aidan Hammond...started cycling in Feb and did a bike fit around same time. Done plenty of training days and 3 sportives since and no aches or pains afterwards. In fairness, the shop had the bike set up very well for me but Aidan made a few tweeks that helped.Cost €120 which I thought for what you gain and the peace of mind was well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Another option (based on your location) is Frank in Ritchies Swords or Base2Race in Ballymount. I've had 1 fitting each in both and while Base2race is more high tech in terms of equipment used the fittings are pretty much spot on for both bikes. Frank is very thorough and takes alittle longer but he knows his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I was very happy with Dom in Base2Race, I would highly recommend him. Aidan Hammond also has some very good feedback but have never had a fitting with him myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

+1 for Aidan Hammond

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭maverick_21

Anyone used Wheelworx near liffey valley?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Anyone used Wheelworx near liffey valley?

Haven't really heard anything about there, but I'm surprised there hasn't been a mention of bike fit studio. If you're a cycling ireland member you get €50 off there. Website's www.bikefitstudio.ie and anyone I know (including myself) have found it to be the better option, even by some people that have been fit by other fitters being recommended in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Another +1 for Aidan
    Got two bikes fitted and never looked back, it's usually small tweaks he makes but in the end these make all the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lorimc

another +1 for Aidan Hammond. I organised a club day and everyone (around 9 of us) were really happy with the results. As part of the fit they also did a injury and flexibility assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

+1 for Aidan again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

+1 for Frank in Richies. Had my first bike fitted there and nevr had a problem since. Other bikes I've copied the settings over to, but I'll be taking my new one there as I can't get it quite right yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Im just thinking of proximity anyone go into Cycle Superstore yet for a fitting?
    Getting more technical on cycling rather than just dogging it sounds stupid but is it a must at this stage to get fitted for each bike?
    Would you require it for an MTB??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I have had a couple of bike fits with Gordon in Cycleways. Have dodgy knees, so need to be careful with set-up and also helped me to chose a new saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DanielDI

I've been Retul-ed and that fit has worked well and is pretty darn close to the body fit here. I'd be interested to see what others also have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Would definitely recommend Aidan Hammond. Top notch guy.

DanielDI wrote: »
    I've been Retul-ed and that fit has worked well and is pretty darn close to the body fit here. I'd be interested to see what others also have to say.

I'd be interested too in the difference between Retul and a Body fit??
    Its all new to me...

The Retul looks like a 3d with the emphasis on your movement on the bike while being measured with sensors,
    Looks like we have a few options on Retul with varying degrees of qualification from the factory that supply the equipment.

Whats a body fit version 2D I presume??

I'd be interested too in the difference between Retul and a Body fit??
    Its all new to me...

The Retul looks like a 3d with the emphasis on your movement on the bike while being measured with sensors,
    Looks like we have a few options on Retul with varying degrees of qualification from the factory that supply the equipment.

Whats a body fit version 2D I presume??

You pretty much have it.

Retül tracks and happens to you with lateral movement, rather than just the angles, it's really interesting when you start looking at it.

There's a good video on the website page here: http://www.bikefitstudio.ie

C-Shore wrote: »
    You pretty much have it.

Retül tracks and happens to you with lateral movement, rather than just the angles, it's really interesting when you start looking at it.

There's a good video on the website page here: http://www.bikefitstudio.ie

Yeah was looking at that on the web this morning...
    Whats Aidan H do then anyone know?
    Im going to ring him this morning BTW.

Yeah was looking at that on the web this morning...
    Whats Aidan H do then anyone know?
    Im going to ring him this morning BTW.

I went to him a few years ago, so what I got might be different to now.

He does more like the body fit one where it's side on, has a laser thing but it's only knee tracking from what I remember. Overall it gets you your heights right etc, but didn't correct a hip pain I had, as it turned out my stem was too long for what my hip was able for.

Ever since doing physio for my hip I've been shocked to find out how all these muscles are related, and that's how I ended up going to bikefit studio.

I went to him a few years ago, so what I got might be different to now.

He does more like the body fit one where it's side on, has a laser thing but it's only knee tracking from what I remember. Overall it gets you your heights right etc, but didn't correct a hip pain I had, as it turned out my stem was too long for what my hip was able for.

Ever since doing physio for my hip I've been shocked to find out how all these muscles are related, and that's how I ended up going to bikefit studio.

I hear you I run as well (or did) and im having a lot of issues one after another so just trying to pick the best option out of the fittings available....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Im just thinking of proximity anyone go into Cycle Superstore yet for a fitting?
    Getting more technical on cycling rather than just dogging it sounds stupid but is it a must at this stage to get fitted for each bike?
    Would you require it for an MTB??

i went to Shane Foley in CSS last month and he's brilliant

I hear you I run as well (or did) and im having a lot of issues one after another so just trying to pick the best option out of the fittings available....

Yeah, I know!

Well you get your €50 off with Bike Fit Studio as well if you're a CI member so that might help.

Yeah, I know!

Well you get your €50 off with Bike Fit Studio as well if you're a CI member so that might help.

Not in CI...would that €50 off qualify for a leisure cyclist category (€40 version)???

Not in CI...would that €50 off qualify for a leisure cyclist category (€40 version)???

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's everything, just give a licence number which I think everyone gets, even the people you know, if that makes sense!

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's everything, just give a licence number which I think everyone gets, even the people you know, if that makes sense!

:D
    Ive been meaning to join...:cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Apologies for jumping on here. But would anyone recommend anyone northside of Dublin. I live in santry, work in city centre.
    I'd have gone to Aidan Hammond if I could drive out and take 2 bikes with me, but alas i can't.

I saw bike institute are doing some Giant professional fitting, and heard cycleways mentioned but I'm needing fitting on my current bike bought elsewhere as it's just marginally out in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Weepsie wrote: »
    Apologies for jumping on here. But would anyone recommend anyone northside of Dublin. I live in santry, work in city centre.
    I'd have gone to Aidan Hammond if I could drive out and take 2 bikes with me, but alas i can't.

I saw bike institute are doing some Giant professional fitting, and heard cycleways mentioned but I'm needing fitting on my current bike bought elsewhere as it's just marginally out in some way.

Bike fit studio for retul in Gormanstown city north area, or. Ritchies in swords for a more general type fit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cheers, I'll give them both a shout. Meant to arrange one ages ago, but never got round to it. I'm afraid they'll say the new bike is too big or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

They might.... Or they make changes that cost some €€ such as a stem or seat post...be prepared to say yay or nay and buy your own bits.
    Personally I was with bike fit in Gormanstown and it was excellent.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Cheers, I'll give them both a shout. Meant to arrange one ages ago, but never got round to it. I'm afraid they'll say the new bike is too big or something...

There's a guy out near you as well that I've heard mentioned, but can't remember his name. Think he focuses on triathletes but should still be the same. I think he's in Artane.

I wouldn't say your bike is too big for you, should be ok. Unless you're looking for an excuse to get one, then yeah, it's definitely too big!

Advertisement