Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spending money Oz

Options
  • 19-04-2016 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Travelling to Australia in December with husband and 3 kids (13,4,2) just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on spending money and how much you think would be enough??
    We are staying with family so accommodation is sorted.
    We will spend some time visiting the touristy things like the zoo and city sights and then some time by the beach.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Loads... just bring loads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

conor_ie wrote: »
    Loads... just bring loads!

I came here to say "a lot", but "loads" is equally valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

How long u going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

What part of Australia?

How long will you be there for?

Will you have access to a car or do you need to factor in public transport?

Will you be eating out or cooking in?

Do you want this to be a budget or blowout holiday?

A few years ago I budgeted $50 a day for food, entertainment and transport. I was comfortable, but certainly could have spent more. I saved some money to have a blow out in Cairns (diving, white water rafting) and then another one in Sydney (bridge climb).

I'm not sure about the other cities but in Sydney there was an option to bulk buy attraction tickets - the sky tower, the aquarium and the city zoo could be purchased as a bundle and save a fair chunk on the admission fees. However they were still expensive!

In terms of shopping, I found that it was as expensive as here and not really much different in the way of brands etc. I did pick up some cheap things in Target, but that was about it. So unless you're planning anything major (such as uggs or a digeredoo), probably best to avoid the shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I am going away in a few weeks with the family (Wife, 6 and 13 yr olds) and will be away for 4 weeks.

Accomdation is sorted
    Car is also sorted,
    Staying up in Port Douglas so will be alot on the beach and maybe a few trips to Cairns, Daintree, Cape Tribulation, Palm Cove etc
    Will be eating out a few times but will also have BBQ's pool side in the house - fingers crossed we have enough spends

will have around 5-6k € which is around 8-8.5kAUD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭alde

Thanks so much guys, we are staying with family so that's sorted (maybe do a couple nights in motel on great ocean Rd)!
    We are going to Melbourne. No need for car hire we will have a car. We will be there for 3 weeks in total. Thanks BrookieD, I was sort of aiming for 5k€ myself.
    We will be eating out but also eating in alot BBqs etc... Staying with family so it's hard to know...
    In terms of shopping, I don't expect any major purchases but my 13 yr old will want to buy a few bits I'm sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

We spent 3 weeks in Melbourne over Easter, Us 2 and 2 big Kids 18,13. A mix of hotels and family accommodation. We budgeted $500 per day and spent it. Eating out is expensive esp when you have two boys that inhale food 24/7.

We did the usual tourist things, wildlife parks, aquarium, Eureka tower, few nights in Phillip Island and a few days in the mountains and a few days in the City. Car rental was cheap about €300 for 9 days for an SUV. We were also lucky enough to get in a big game in the MCG (comped tickets)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

I was surprised at price differences even for groceries such as block of cheese 3 euro here would be 6 dollars there. I managed to find an Aldi in a couple of places so survived. They have had steady inflation for past years whereas it has been static here. I did not think quality of stuff worth buying so did not bring home much save for some Ugg slippers as presents that I could have bought in Dublin for same price.

cobham wrote: »
    I was surprised at price differences even for groceries such as block of cheese 3 euro here would be 6 dollars there. I managed to find an Aldi in a couple of places so survived. They have had steady inflation for past years whereas it has been static here. I did not think quality of stuff worth buying so did not bring home much save for some Ugg slippers as presents that I could have bought in Dublin for same price.

using xe.com $6 is €3.85 or there abouts? a little more but not a massive leap

Agent_99 wrote: »
    We spent 3 weeks in Melbourne over Easter, Us 2 and 2 big Kids 18,13. A mix of hotels and family accommodation. We budgeted $500 per day and spent it. Eating out is expensive esp when you have two boys that inhale food 24/7.

We did the usual tourist things, wildlife parks, aquarium, Eureka tower, few nights in Phillip Island and a few days in the mountains and a few days in the City. Car rental was cheap about €300 for 9 days for an SUV. We were also lucky enough to get in a big game in the MCG (comped tickets)

your 500 a day I would assume is including hotel cost etc?

We are heading off in 4 weeks but lucky dont have accommodation cost or car rental, just need cash for food and what ever we choose on tourist stuff... hoping its less than 500 a day though or we are screwed

• Advertisement

BrookieD wrote: »
    your 500 a day I would assume is including hotel cost etc?

We are heading off in 4 weeks but lucky dont have accommodation cost or car rental, just need cash for food and what ever we choose on tourist stuff... hoping its less than 500 a day though or we are screwed

Hotels were paid for in advance not included in the $500, we got an currency card from AnPost in AUD and saved for the year before going. You will probably spend less if you are staying with family full time as we had a lot of eating out on our trips away. Beer and Smokes are very expensive over there compared to here, lucky none of us smoked but when I bought a pack for my brother they were about $40. A case of domestic beer for a BBQ is about $100 for 24. Food in general is about the same and of great quality. Coles or Aldi are good to shop in.

We did everything when we were there I think there was only 2 days that we didn't venture out.

Get yourselves Miki cards if your using trains, they are very cheap way to get into and around the city about $10 return in and out from any stop on the route, Trams in the CBD are free.

We bought some clothes, teeshirts etc at the markets.

When you land get some good moszie spray :o we were eated alive for the first two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Hotels were paid for in advance not included in the $500, we got an currency card from AnPost in AUD and saved for the year before going. You will probably spend less if you are staying with family full time as we had a lot of eating out on our trips away. Beer and Smokes are very expensive over there compared to here, lucky none of us smoked but when I bought a pack for my brother they were about $40. A case of domestic beer for a BBQ is about $100 for 24. Food in general is about the same and of great quality. Coles or Aldi are good to shop in.

We did everything when we were there I think there was only 2 days that we didn't venture out.

Get yourselves Miki cards if your using trains, they are very cheap way to get into and around the city about $10 return in and out from any stop on the route, Trams in the CBD are free.

We bought some clothes, teeshirts etc at the markets.

When you land get some good moszie spray :o we were eated alive for the first two days.

I'm glad I don't buy my beer in the bottle shops you bought yours. $100 a case? I can get 2 cases for that price or less.
    If you smoke be careful where you buy them as they are alot cheaper in the supermarkets than the service stations.
    Mozzie spray is a good tip but to avoid attracting try to limit the amount of sugar you consume as they love sweet blood :)

Thanks for the reply, $100 for beer, holy crap, lucky enough the sister-in-law and hubby both in the trade in Port Douglas so beer i dont think is a hassle and we dont smoke so all good there.

We will be in Port Douglas for the 4 weeks and have access to a car so no rental fee just gas money needed. Will be in Cairns, Palm Cover, Daintree and Cape Tribulation all accessible on a drive so am hoping the spends will not be as much. good few days eating around the pool also will minimize the spending a little..

cannot bloody wait to get going now...

hi quick question, in relation to sun lotion we were looking to bring some P20 factor 50 - would thoes in the know recommend bring down or buy there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

BrookieD wrote: »
    hi quick question, in relation to sun lotion we were looking to bring some P20 factor 50 - would thoes in the know recommend bring down or buy there?

You can get a litre bottle of suncream (shop own brand) for about $10.

Also BS on the beer, a 24 case is about $45-$60 depending on the beer.

Maybe it was 2 cases we got, those days are a bit of a haze :o I preferred the ciders anyway, not too fussed on Carlton

Suncream there is far cheaper.

Picnics were also popular esp for the Sanctuary visit and the winery tour.
    Plus we went to Gazi restaurant for a birthday one night and spent a fortune ;)
    Weekend deals for kids in zoos/Sanctuary etc were they go free.

I can't rave enough about Melbourne as we found everyone to be very nice and friendly and you'll never go hungry with the amount of restaurants and eaterys available in the city (hope you like Asian food)

I would move there in the morning if I could. :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Prices have come closer. Ireland has become cheaper and Australia more expensive.

In the late 90's I was shocked at supermarket prices in Dublin. The ticket prices were 30-40% higher then I would expect here. Then the currency conversion of less than 50c to the £ made things there very expensive by comparison. Meat was the worst. I was used to getting a leg of lamb here for $8-10 for a good one. There is was well over twenty quid.

Going into the € has made a lot of difference over there. We also have more indirect taxes now than we used to have.

It's also a matter of how and where you shop. I know that here in tourist areas I see prices which are much higher than I would pay. Same goes for over there. last year I saw tourists dishing out €8 for a pint in Temple Bar. Same goes here in similar places. I went to Sydney late last year and was shocked at how expensive it is now.

Advertisement