Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with road sign

• 19-04-2016 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

There is a particular road sign (2 in fact) that I would like help with.

I have no pictures but can describe them.

1. Small black triangle on yellow background.
    2. Small black square on yellow background.

These are scattered all over the N2 to N3 link road up around Tyrellstown.
    It appears that 1. is on one side of the road and 2. is on the other side. I've now noticed they have been added on the large blue motorways signs for Finglas and Blanchardstown exits of the M50.

I've looked through the Dept of Transport road signs document and can't find them.

Anybody shed some light?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭xabi

Alternative route or diversion maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

I have seen these myself and havn't a clue what they are. They are smallish signs stuck on larger road signs right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

xabi wrote: »
    Alternative route or diversion maybe?

Yeah, diversion routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

Yeah, diversion routes.

But how do you read them? as in whats the difference in the 2? I have never seen them before about 2 weeks ago when I noticed them. No diversion routes laid out on that road either

similar to this... http://www.cbrd.co.uk/articles/emergency-diversion-routes/img/flagsign.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I recently heard them being mentioned on LiveDrive on DublinCityFM - and they weren't too sure, even after contacting the relevant local councils.
    I think they were new signs being trialed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

honreal wrote: »
    But how do you read them? as in whats the difference in the 2? I have never seen them before about 2 weeks ago when I noticed them. No diversion routes laid out on that road either

similar to this... http://www.cbrd.co.uk/articles/emergency-diversion-routes/img/flagsign.jpg

The routes may overlap so if you start on the squares follow the diversion signs with squares on them, if you start with triangles follow the diversion signs with triangles on them. Basically they are to differentiate different diversion routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

They are emergency diversion routes just in case the M50 is closed in the case of a crash or incident.

So if the M50 is closed southbound between Finglas and Blanchardstown, you come off the motorway at Finglas, head out the M2 and come off at the Blanchardstown slip, follow these signs along the n2-n3 link road and you'll make your back to the m50 and rejoin at Blanch to continue southbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

Diversion rout makes sense although not much point having them if people aren't educated on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

January wrote: »
    They are emergency diversion routes just in case the M50 is closed in the case of a crash or incident.

So if the M50 is closed southbound between Finglas and Blanchardstown, you come off the motorway at Finglas, head out the M2 and come off at the Blanchardstown slip, follow these signs along the n2-n3 link road and you'll make your back to the m50 and rejoin at Blanch to continue southbound.

Exactly. I posted about them months ago in the Roads forum. When the M50 used to be closed where you say a surprisingly few mount of traffic used to take it. They put up the signs and Livedrive started mentioning it and you can see the extra volume of traffic using it now when there isn't even delays on the M50.

But don't follow the signs for Blanchardstown, they'll send you off at Coolwinters and via Kilshane Cross .

When there is an issue on the M50 you get a huge amount of traffic on it.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.4064171,-6.3038388/53.3791638,-6.3667518/@53.4059303,-6.3814604,14z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-6.3686801!2d53.4217431!3s0x486712e972e67fbd:0x49d07f025f06353f!1m0!3e0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Bradz213 wrote: »
    Diversion rout makes sense although not much point having them if people aren't educated on them

not necessary, they aren't active until a big sign is put up at the start of the diversion saying "follow triangle" or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

not necessary, they aren't active until a big sign is put up at the start of the diversion saying "follow triangle" or whatever.

I really sincerely doubt the general public will be able to see these signs. I only noticed the one after the toll as I was passing when they were putting it up. I don't understand why they can't put in a larger sign like they have along the N11 (via Bray / Greystones)

1789726_990c4a66.jpg

Either or, all major junctions should have electronic signs and they should be used for more than travel times. They've closed the N7/M50 ramp two nights in the past two weeks and there was no prior warning given at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

It's warning about about people on the route with crap (triangle brand) tyres! Keep your distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ironclaw wrote: »
    I really sincerely doubt the general public will be able to see these signs.

Maybe the blind ones won't, but they're pretty distinguishable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Advertisement