Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car hire

Options
  • 19-04-2016 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

This one was pointed out to me, I checked it and its correct.

Enterprise car hire have 10 cars for rent at Dublin Airport through the Ryanair car trawler site.

If you are resident in Ireland you get charged one rate, if you are resident elsewhere you get charged another. Yes, I hear you say, thats to take account of different vat rates; true, and should only vary by a few percentage points.

However, on all ten cars, the cost for a resident in belgium (the one i tested) is over three times the cost charged to a resident of Ireland. One example, opel insignia, one week rental for an Irish resident 202 euro but 679 euros for a Belgian resident.

Ryanair promise to double the difference if you can get the same rental cheaper elsewhere... I wonder could you claim 900 euros off them in this case! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What do you mean by resident, I guess you mean renting a car in Ireland is a different price than renting a car in Belgium, as I would fully expect. But you word it stranglely and make it sound like people of different nationalities are charged different amounts in the same country.

I would guess the VAT rates is one of the more minor reasons for the price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

rubadub wrote: »
    What do you mean by resident, I guess you mean renting a car in Ireland is a different price than renting a car in Belgium, as I would fully expect. But you word it stranglely and make it sound like people of different nationalities are charged different amounts in the same country.

I would guess the VAT rates is one of the more minor reasons for the price difference.

Its normal to charge different prices to holders of different national driving licences due to insurance costs. My experience is that Belgian motorway driving is horrific but I don't think they're 3x as bad as here!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

How do they compare if you an Irish resident want to rent one in Belgium as compared to a Belgian hiring one?

It may be insurance loading for people switching from left hand drive to right hand drive vehicles and vice versa?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jeamimus

rubadub wrote: »
    t you word it stranglely and make it sound like people of different nationalities are charged different amounts in the same country.

Thats exactly what it is!

Its the difference between a person with an irish address and a person with a belgian address renting a car in dublin airport.
    When you select the country as part of your address, the prices change.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jeamimus wrote: »
    When you select the country as part of your address, the prices change.
    Right, you were mentioning VAT differences which was confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Its been going on for years and European Commssion has been investigating it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28756674

car hire is probably the most complained about business out there - probably worse than banks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Don't Belgians drive on the right hand side of the road and are used to driving on much better roads than ours? If so, the risk of crashing/damage to car is higher. I drove in the US recently and found it neve racking and they have great roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 stevemul

If you use the broker economycarrentals.com, you simply change the language to get a quote and they are all the same. I just tried a one week rental from Dublin Airport in Spanish, French and English, and they were all the same.
    The price doesn't change when you enter your home address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

davo10 wrote: »
    Don't Belgians drive on the right hand side of the road and are used to driving on much better roads than ours? If so, the risk of crashing/damage to car is higher. I drove in the US recently and found it neve racking and they have great roads.

The roads in belgium are mostly terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The roads in belgium are mostly terrible.

Better than the secondary roads here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

davo10 wrote: »
    Better than the secondary roads here?

No.

They don't appear to understand the meaning of "resurfacing". Secondary roads are often unlined. They are, in general, crap roads and crap drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

L1011 wrote: »
    No.

They don't appear to understand the meaning of "resurfacing". Secondary roads are often unlined. They are, in general, crap roads and crap drivers.

Having driven recently from Spa to the Nurburgring, the back roads are fantastic. The motorways however are utter ****e.
    Bang, bump, pop, swerve to avoid the crater kind of stuff.

The french main roads and motorways were the same. Road surface way worse than ours
    But the rural roads in both countries were petrolhead heaven:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

jeamimus wrote: »
    This one was pointed out to me, I checked it and its correct.

Enterprise car hire have 10 cars for rent at Dublin Airport through the Ryanair car trawler site.

If you are resident in Ireland you get charged one rate, if you are resident elsewhere you get charged another. Yes, I hear you say, thats to take account of different vat rates; true, and should only vary by a few percentage points.

However, on all ten cars, the cost for a resident in belgium (the one i tested) is over three times the cost charged to a resident of Ireland. One example, opel insignia, one week rental for an Irish resident 202 euro but 679 euros for a Belgian resident.

Ryanair promise to double the difference if you can get the same rental cheaper elsewhere... I wonder could you claim 900 euros off them in this case! :)

Use a broker, 202 euros is quite expensive.

Autoeurope or Carhire3000 will get you a much better price.

Advertisement