Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost: Ground floor renovation + big extension

• 19-04-2016 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Can you please share your oppinion and/or experience if someone had done something similar in the past? We want to do ground floor renovation + new extension in our house and I would like to know what is the approximate price (total) for following. I tried to describe the project in as much details as possible

1 - Renovation of living room / ground floor (except the hallway) around 35 sq m
    * removed old kitchen, all old flooring to the bottom, all plasterboard and ceiling
    * separate small space under stairs for 2,5 x2m bathroom
    * complete new pluming (water and heating)
    * complete el. rewire
    * new walls and ceiling (plasterboard)
    * everything insulated (rockwool or similar for ceiling and internal walls, insulated plasterboard for external wall)
    * new subfloor and and quality laminated floor
    * 2 new doors and frames, hardwood simple design
    * new bathroom (about 5 sq.m)
    * finish (skirting boards, painting, etc)
    * electrical - new chrome switches, downlights, sockets, etc
    * cut opening in concrete wall and new PVC window installed

2 - New 22 sq.m. extension
    * insulated [Quinnlite] blocks + external insulation (with finish)
    * insulated floor, half tiles - half laminated floor
    * new big kitchen with kitchen island (excl appliances)
    * again all new heating/pluming, wiring, lights, sockets, etc...
    * one new PVC window
    * simple sloped roof with synthetic slates
    * same (polystyrene) insulation used for 1st floor back wall to match
    * boiler moved to the extension
    * cut concrete in the driveway to make new drainage connection (for old bathroom on 1st floor and new ground floor bathroom and kitchen)
    * new gutters on the whole back of the house

+ removal (skips)

TOTAL ?? Ideas ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

~70k

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭GhanGee

@bryanF thanks for your input.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

GhanGee wrote: »
    @bryanF thanks for your input.

Could you I nvite 3 builders around and ask for the cost based on your list above?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭GhanGee

I only wanted to hear an opinion of other people, before I start looking for quotes.
    BryanF wrote: »
    Could you I nvite 3 builders around and ask for the cost based on your list above?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

GhanGee wrote: »
    I only wanted to hear an opinion of other people, before I start looking for quotes.

The problem with opinions is that they can lure you into a false sense of cost. I've seen people dispute figures posted by long term posters on here and then they disappear. Would love to see what they get quoted in the real world.

The only real way to get an idea is asking 3 builders to quote for the same specification locally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

I would image you will have spent very close to 100 K by the time your fully finished. Areas you describe are small but this is a big renovation project expect your house to be a building site for 3-6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

off the cost topic here for a moment?

Whats driving the project in terms of ripping off the ceilings and insulating them, I presume from below, in what I presume is a two storey?
    Like wise with the wall insulation, is this a self drive job where you have picked up different ideas and put them in the nutribullet:)

What is the airtightness/controlled ventilation plan on foot of the above?

What state is the attic/existing roof in?

Whats happen on first floor: new plumbing/wiring/heating will not leave it untouched.

I suppose my point is that without a holistic strategy aimed at comfort and lower running costs, this could end up being a suboptimal use of money by facing to address uncontrolled ventilation and poor use of insulation.

Might help
    https://www.nsai.ie/S-R-54-2014-Code-of-Practice.aspx

[I agree 100k could get spent here no bother: granite worktop in kitchen could set u back 4k
    Tiles 1k/m squared depending on spec, which you need to tie down a lot more precisely, otherwise you will pay more for less.
    hardwood door made to measure maybe 1k each
    bathroom kit: 5 to ??k depending on spec.
    Is the ground floor concrete or suspended?
    You should include redoing the hall as it wont survive intact.
    Are you moving elec meter?
    etc]

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement