Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Religious" Music for Church

• 19-04-2016 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

My partner and I are having a church wedding and we've just found out that there's only religious music allowed during the service!

I'd always imagined walking down the aisle to a song he wrote about me (he's a musician) played by 2 of our friends on guitar, and I'm sad to think we can't use it now. I loved it because it's personal and no one else would have it.

We're going to ask the priest if there can be an exception, but in case there can't, does anyone have any good "religious music" suggestions for the service? Ideally ones that will sound good when played on guitar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

While I'm not religious myself, I don't see a problem with the Priest's rules.

However, it should be easy enough to get your song played. If you just switch all mentions of your name or nicknames such as "baby" to Jesus or God, you might be OK.

There are no certification systems or approval processes out there to say that Song X is religious or Song Y is not religious. Anyone can make up religious songs and frequently do.

If the Priest only allows hymns, you won't be able to do this. Unlike religious songs, hymns have a special significance in praising God or Baby Jesus and there are actual lists of approved hymns out there. If it's hymns only, there should be a few available from here which might be suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

The priest sounds like a control freak. I sing at wedding ceremonies all the time and 99% of priests are strict as to when religious songs should be sang, which is fine, but at the parts of the ceremony that aren't actually part of a mass they're usually fine with contemporary songs (as long as they're "well meaning, nice songs", and notthing insulting)
    I would act dumb and say you have a musical group booked for the music but you left it up to them to decide their setlist.
    Ill pm you a nice setlist in an hour or so , just don't include your walking up the aisle song on it you give it to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Can you not just give him a generic religious song but use your own on the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

We got married during lent and the church and priest (seprerate from parish) did ask that we try to choose music appropriate to the setting, which we had no issue with. Once the ceremony was finished we could choose any music we wanted and we did, so for signing the register, photos and walking out. Perhaps you could use your song for leaving the church together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

eviltwin wrote: »
    Can you not just give him a generic religious song but use your own on the day?

That would be the way of the scumbag.

OP, their house, their rules I'm afraid.

Maybe a civil service would be more suitable to your needs?

• Advertisement

A suggestion for guitar music that we used was here comes the sun, my brother played it for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

You're probably best have a good mix of religious songs and then include the odd one you want - like the one written by your partner.
    I reckon the priest was just sick of lots of modern pop songs being played and put the rule in.
    If you have mostly religious song, he mightn't bad an eyelid for the odd gentle / nice song put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Guybrush Threepwood

Thanks for the advice all!!

Changing lyrics isn't an option as it would take away the meaning of the song and it wouldn't work with its story (2 people meeting and falling in love). Also I would feel totally awful if I deceived them about what music we wanted to play!

The church is important to us as it's my fiancé's decreased Dad's church which he loved dearly. If we have it there it almost feels like he'd be with us.

I think we'll just have a chat with the priest and see what he'll let us get away with. I'm happy for having only religious music in the ceremony, but I'd love to have personal choices for entering, leaving and the registry.

If anyone does have any suggestions for more "churchy" songs we'd love to hear them! Better to have a few options for them :) Love the idea of Here Comes the Sun, thanks RentDayBlues.

Here's what we used, not too religious but suitable:

Bridesmaid’s - Pie Jesu
    Bride - Nella Fantasia
    Lighting of the Candles - Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
    Responsorial Psalm - On Eagles Wings
    Gospel Acclamation - Seinn Alleluia
    Offertory - Ag Críost on Síol
    Sign of Peace - The Nuptial Blessing
    Communion - Schubert’s Ave Maria, Mo Grá Thú
    Signing of the Register, Exit - Yellow, One Day Like This, Here Comes the Sun

Advertisement