Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nissan Leaf 74th in Irish car sales so far in 2016.

• 19-04-2016 1:18pm

http://www.beepbeep.ie/stats

Leaf sold more than Passat estate, Touran, Audi Q5, Q3, Ford S-Max, Mazda 2, Renault Megane, Fiat 500, Honda Jazz, the list goes on.

Not a bad result , the Leaf even sold more then the Citroen C3 and C4. Which fall something like No. 153 for the C3 and 132 for the C4.

Toyota top brand, Hyundai Tucson 1st model , Golf 2nd which unfortunately 68% are diesel, proving Irish VW buyers aren't in the slightest bit concerned about Diesel emissions even considering the diesel scandal.

Sadly and unsurprisingly, the most polluting vehicles, Diesel, takes 70% of the total market and electric 0.3%. This is something the Government seriously needs to address.

There is a long way to go , in Ireland especially where change happens at a snails pace. Why are Irish buyers one of the slowest to adapt to EV considering we live on a small Island ?

Having said that, the Leaf isn't doing bad at all compared to many other models, I think if the Golf EV was available at a proper price then it would do even better. But VW are doing their best to ensure they don't have to make electrics.

The Irish obsession with the Golf continues.

Comments

I corrected an error above, the Golf isn't the top selling model in Ireland but the 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

http://www.beepbeep.ie/stats
    Why are Irish buyers one of the slowest to adapt to EV considering we live on a small Island ?

We recently bought a second hand Leaf as a second car. Having said that, it's used by wife for her daily commute and most of our weekend trips. When we getting it people invariably asked 'What if you need to drive to Dublin?'. I've never once had to make an emergency trip to Dublin :confused:

People are coming around to the idea of electric cars, slowly, as more people buy them and others get a drive in them they realise how good they are to drive even a normal car like a leaf. Getting back into a diesel makes you realise how bad they actually are or even a petrol, the technology is ancient.

Leaf sales are growing each year but we need a lot more makes and models.

The 30 Kwh is a good improvement, 30 odd kms more range and charges a lot faster from the fast chargers.

In 2018 which isn't far away now will see the first of the 300-350 kms electrics arrive. Cost is another matter, hopefully they won't be too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

People are coming around to the idea of electric cars, slowly, as more people buy them and others get a drive in them they realise how good they are to drive even a normal car like a leaf. Getting back into a diesel makes you realise how bad they actually are or even a petrol, the technology is ancient.

Leaf sales are growing each year but we need a lot more makes and models.

The 30 Kwh is a good improvement, 30 odd kms more range and charges a lot faster from the fast chargers. J

In 2018 which isn't far away now will see the first of the 300-350 kms electrics arrive. Cost is another matter, hopefully they won't be too expensive.

At that stage people will have realised that they don't need 300 -350 Kim's range , just like they don't need a phone to last 2 weeks between charges . When it's readily available people will then say, sure I don't need to spend an extra €3000 "just to be able to drive to Dublin"

Bigus wrote: »
    When it's readily available people will then say, sure I don't need to spend an extra €3000 "just to be able to drive to Dublin"

That is unless Nissan can offer the 60 Kwh for not much more than the 30 Kwh today then I'm sure most people will go for the maximum range they can afford.

It's likely Nissan will offer different battery Kwh , maybe 30 Kwh will be standard, then a 40, 50 and 60 Kwh option.

I think I'd be happy with 60 Kwh or 300-350 km range with 100 odd Kw charging, I don't think many people need more than this.

I believe in faster charging rather than carrying around a very large heavy battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I think that it all not be plain sailing. , we have yet to characterise two main issues , battery lifetimes and residual values especially at the 5 year plus point.

Then there is the issue of any future payment rates for the charger network.

Add to that the potential for expensive large battery packs etc

We've a bit to go yet, small issues can have big. Effects

I think if you have 300+ km range from your home charge point then the future cost of public charging is largely irrelevant.

More people will need public charging due to increased numbers on the road but for the majority of people , a 300+ Km trip isn't something most people take daily or weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

I think if you have 300+ km range from your home charge point then the future cost of public charging is largely irrelevant.

More people will need public charging due to increased numbers on the road but for the majority of people , a 300+ Km trip isn't something most people take daily or weekly.

Couldn't agree more. I have the 24k leaf, and have covered 5000kms so far, and have done 6 public charges. 2 of which I could have avoided but was a nervous novice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I agree but thats not how the public think though. Most people dont need the 120km range today but they still arent buying EV's en-masse.

The 300km range wont change their perception that much. They will still be afraid to change, they will be afraid of resale value (as we all should!).... all the things that BoatMad has said are the publics perception and perception is their reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It was resale value that stopped me buying a Leaf last time I changed.

I would have been buying a 2yr old Leaf and keeping it for 3yrs probably, I honestly was worried about selling a car with a 5yr old battery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'll tell you what happened. That muppet in the ESB spooked this years sales by 'announcing' a fleet of asinine charges just coming up to year end, when people are placing their orders, and then they very very quietly rolling them all back. Sales were doubling year on year... then 10% this year. Pathetic.

I get asked All The Time how can I possibly afford to drive an EV, even though it's the cheapest running car on the road. It's that daft publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would say that €16.99 monthly charge talk definitely just added another reason to the list for many folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

NIMAN wrote: »
    I would say that €16.99 monthly charge talk definitely just added another reason to the list for many folk.

It absolutely did and the majority of people are not that stupid to buy a car than can't drive for more an hour @120km and will be completely outdated techwise in a year or two.

Not the best looking car either.

It's got no appeal tbh to the mass market which is reflected in the sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

thierry14 wrote: »
    It absolutely did and the majority of people are not that stupid to buy a car than can't drive for more an hour @120km and will be completely outdated techwise in a year or two.

Not the best looking car either.

It's got no appeal tbh to the mass market which is reflected in the sales.

You're a pleasure to debate with! :)

You seem to be most comfortable posting in the "stupid peoples" forum since that seems to be where you spend the majority of your time! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

KCross wrote: »
    You're a pleasure to debate with! :)

You seem to be most comfortable posting in the "stupid peoples" forum since that seems to be where you spend the majority of your time! ;)

I am interested in EV's

Problem?

Would it be better if I was like mad lad and only be positive?

EV's that are available now are struggling for sales here, am I wrong to be negative about them?

Would it be better if I was like mad lad and only be positive?

EV's that are available now are struggling for sales here, am I wrong to be negative about them?

So you're my opposite then ? only going to post negativity just because someone posts something positive you will insist on posting the opposite.

I have posited negative things but I'm not going to post a negitive comment about electrics just because I post something positive.

I think the fact the Leaf is outselling many car models in Ireland is really great. And what that tells us is there needs to be more competing models, more choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Leaf sold more than Passat estate, Touran, Audi Q5, Q3, Ford S-Max, Mazda 2, Renault Megane, Fiat 500, Honda Jazz, the list goes on.
    That's a really good result.
    Why are Irish buyers one of the slowest to adapt to EV considering we live on a small Island ?
    Lower population % living in urban areas.
    Which leads to ineffective and expensive public transport.
    Which leads to higher than average yearly millage.
    Which probably leaves usually conservative car buyers reluctant to buy new EV's with low ranges.
    That and general ignorance.
    I think the small size of Ireland could work against us, as driving from one side to another doesn't take that long.
    Compared to a day or two's driving for a lot of Europe, where you'd fly of take the train.
    The Irish obsession with the Golf continues.
    Even if you don't care about emissions, you'd think being lied to would bother people.
    Obviously not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It absolutely did and the majority of people are not that stupid to buy a car than can't drive for more an hour @120km

Maybe not everyone is the sort of sorry soul who wastes their lives shrivelling up behind the wheel of a car commuting several hours a day, looking at a motorway. It must really suck the joy out of someone when they spend 500 hours a year on a road instead of with their family and friends.

Advertisement